My primary DES in Korea

xixi077

May 29, 2023
Hi guys, I recently had DES in Korea and wanted to share my experience since many people were asking me about it :smile:

It’s been a month since I had natural adhesion double eyelid surgery and upper canthoplasy at ThankYou Plastic Surgery, and it was an amazing experience! Everyone was so nice and helpful towards me as a foreigner, and made the process very smooth.

I consulted with some other clinics but felt like the other doctors were rushing and dismissive of my concerns. Dr. Kim is the exact opposite, and he was so patient and caring during my consultation! He listened to my concerns and analyzed my face as a whole to give honest recommendations on what would fit my face.

For example, I wanted ptosis correction because it would expose more pupil to make the eyes bigger. He explained that I don’t have severe ptosis and the space between my eyebrows and pupil is very short. So the ptosis correction will make the distance even smaller and look unnatural/weird. I’m so glad I listened to his advice because I definitely agree that it would’ve looked unnatural if I got the ptosis correction. Furthermore, I thought I needed an epicanthoplasty because other doctors told me to get it. But he explained that my inner corners already have a lot of red exposed, so doing an epicanthoplasty will make them even more exposed and look western. Instead he suggested an upper canthoplasty which is suitable for eyes like mine that have a thick/ strong mongolian fold, but already exposed inner red part. He also was thinking long term since I’m still young and am scared of hollowing or sagging in the future, so I’m really grateful he took that into consideration. Whereas other doctors just wanted to produce good results immediately, but they might not look as good in a few years. That’s why he suggested to not remove any fat because the puffiness I have is due to excess skin, rather than excess fat. He was very transparent on what he could and could not achieve based on my skin thickness and eye anatomy. Overall I felt his explanations made the most sense out of all the doctors, and he really cared about me as a patient! He didn’t try to push me into doing unnecessary procedures, but rather suggested doing less procedures. He speaks fluent English which is really impressive, but they also have an in-house English translator Chloe who’s the best!

My consultant Seulgi was so helpful during my first appointment and managed to work around my tight schedule in Korea. I actually booked this consultation last minute because I heard good things about Thank You, and I’m so glad I did! After my consultation I immediately knew I trusted Dr. Kim the most with my eyes, and wanted to get my surgery done as soon as possible. Seulgi was able to squish me in for surgery 2 days later and talked me through the whole process of how my surgery day will go.

During my pre-surgery consultation, Dr. Kim was very patient and spent 20+ minutes designing my crease line because I kept changing my mind. I felt bad for wasting time but he reassured me that it wasn’t a problem and he wanted to make sure I was satisfied with the design. During the surgery, He was extremely detailed and had me open and close my eyes many times to ensure the line looked perfect. Initially I was worried that the non incisional method might untie. But I feel relaxed knowing Dr. Kim is extremely experienced and performed natural adhesions to make it last longer.

For the first 3 days after surgery I did cold compress and then after that I started doing warm compress. I applied antibiotic ointment and took some antibiotic and pain relief pills for 5 days after the surgery. The hospital gave me a very detailed home care instructions sheet which I found helpful to refer to. Chloe also always responded quickly over Whatsapp to my millions of questions during recovery

5 days after the surgery I went to the clinic again to have my upper canthoplasty stitches removed, and my pictures taken. The nurse was so gentle and I barely felt anything during the stitch removal. Dr. Kim also had a look at my eyes and said they were healing very nicely. I was concerned that my right eye was deswelling slower than the left eye, but he reassured me that it’s normal and they’re just healing at different speeds. I also asked him many other questions which he patiently answered despite having a very busy schedule.

Both eyes quickly de-swelled over the next few weeks and they look almost normal now at 5 weeks post-op! The recovery was very quick and I didn’t feel any discomfort or pain. The line is barely visible on my left eye and is continuing to fade as it de-swells. My right eye is still a bit swollen so the line is a bit visible, but the swelling is still continuing to go down every day.I took pictures everyday to document the recovery process so I’ll attach them below.

I’m now 5 weeks post op, and the results look better than I could’ve ever imagined! I’m so appreciative of Dr. Kim’s and all the Thank You staff’s hard work. My eyes look so much prettier but also very natural, which is exactly the style I was going for. I think Dr. Kim is very versatile in the types of crease lines he designs, so it’s definitely worth consulting with him at Thank You Plastic Surgery!

Pre-op
17542655-D6C4-43B5-81E8-35190B3B2060.jpeg
7 days post op
284F13B3-BD2A-4106-A039-0B6F4045AC17.jpeg
25 days post op
821BF20A-FB97-43F7-8094-9F891D3E57FB.jpeg