My new Ferragamo "MariaStella" handbag

mileysmuse

Nov 5, 2010
Hi All,

I'm new to Ferragamo...in fact, new to buying a high-end bag for that matter.

After doing the mall circuit, we drove up to Woodbury Commons. Although the Marissa is popular, I selected the StellaMaria in black nappa leather (pic below) for two reasons: it had outside pockets for my keys and cell phone so I don't have to "go fish" and it was easy to get into with a zip top (although the Marissa is lovely, I knew I'd never close the top flap...I'm too lazy :smile:

The Stellamaria is about 18" long x 9" high, retailed for $1,400, and cost me $720 at the Ferragamo outlet. This price was less than Nordstrom, who is showcasing a similar model that is smaller & does not have as nice of leather for $1100 in their spring collection.

If you like the bag, give Richard Peterson at Woodbury Commons a shout out at 845-928-7116. He was enormously helpful and exceptionally helpful.

Also, since I'm still skitzing over buying such an expensive bag, if you are a SF handbag lover, could you please post why you love this brand so much and what you think of my purchase? Thanks

Attachments

• Ferragamo MariaStella (7).jpg
    Ferragamo MariaStella (7).jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 463
Welcome! I would love to see more pictures of your bag. The posted one is small and does not enlarge.

I am drawn to Ferragamo bags because of the quality leather, construction, and timeless style. I've always liked Ferragamo. Years ago, they were known as little old lady bags, but the past five years have seen an updated look. I am also a fan of exotics and Ferragamo does some of the best exotic bags around. I have an alligator Gancio bag and I am in awe at the beautiful hand finished leather and the expert piecing.

You will be able to use your bag for many years to come and will always know what a great quality accessory you are carrying.

hi jburg,

i tried to post a larger pic but this forum only allowed a certain number of jpeg space, that had me downsizing the pic several times just to get it attached. if you send me your email, I could email you the original pics.

there is also a vendor, yoogi's closet, on ebay selling a used one in brown with bidding starting at $705 and a buy it now price of $780. The ebay vendor has some fab pics of the bag, which he calls a "Fondente" ...his version is in Dark brown and I think the hardware on his bag could be a different color.

I guess you hit the nail on the head about grannies' bag. In truth, my husband originally took me shopping for a handbag as a b-day present. We went to Nordstrom first and both fell in love with a Valentino. When the salesperson said it cost $2200, my husband had the deer-in-headlights look and we proceeded to view every other bag in the high-end mall and then at woodbury. Truthfully, if money wasn't an option, the Valentino would have come in first and the Dior 2 Dior zip would have placed second. The Ferragamo seemed like the best buy in my price range that offered functionality; but, it certainly doesn't scream sexy or make my heart pitter-patter like the valentino did, lol!

Surprisingly, with my old, oversized Cole Haan Genieve in a carmel weave, people always noticed and complimented it. However, my family joked that I could never find anything in it...they were right...I missed most calls while trying to hunt for my phone. Also, it never stayed on my shoulder. With this one, I think I will be much more organized, but wonder whether I sacrificed style too much. Also, because it is in black and not flashy, i sort of wonder whether I should have just bought a $200 bag instead.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't want a bag that said "I spent X on an accessory" or "look at me..I'm wearing a Gucci/Prada" but, love-at-first-sight would have been nice. The Marisa had more pazzazz, but I would never have reattached its top flap/latch every time I had opened my bag. It seemed like too much work.

Do you think this bag reverted back to the granny category?

I love this bag!!!! I definitely like it more than the Marissa and I don't think with it's funky thick should handle it looks old lady-ish at all. Congrats!!!

I love current Ferragamo bags too - I think they are fabulously made and stylish, but at a better price point than some of the other designers.

Need to think about a trip up to WC soon myself!

thanks so much for your affirmation frenchie! i'd love to go back to WC too! if your near south jersey, maybe we can road trip together :smile:

After posting last nite, I think I was being a bit unfair. Literally, before purchasing this bag, I saw every single designer bag on the market and combed all high-end online department store sites to see their offerings.

I eliminated all hobo's and totes because I didn't want to repeat the mistake of having a bag with unnecessary volume that would leave me fishing for my items. I eliminated all bags with huge logos on it (LV, Gucchi, Prada, etc) because I didn't want to be a walking billboard. I needed a black leather and ruled out pebbled because it looked cheap when compared to yummie nappa. I eliminated the quilted Marc Jacobs because it seemed like a Channel wanna be. The Dior 2 Dior zip did have a nice quilted pattern but realistically it was too new to expect a decent discount from its $2800 price point, so that was out. Same for Valentino's Daphne (my favorite) which was only produced for Nordies and just reached the stores at $2200...i'll have to wait a year for it to be in range and in truth, it didn't have any outside pockets.

This SF MariaStella really had everything I wanted. Beautiful leather, outside pockets, a more rectangular shape, not too much wasted volume in height, handles that could be held by hand but could also fit under my arm comfortably, a low-profile depth and shape that held its own without needing to be framed, soft draping at the bottom to give it a feminine touch without being overly frufru like the valentinos tend to be, limited hardware that made most other designer's bags look hard-rocky & un-classic, an easy access top opening with a zipper so my items don't fall out, it was relatively light so even with my personal items, I wouldn't feel like I was carrying luggage.

In truth, the MariaStella was the best choice for me given my long list of requirements. It may not have the ultimate wow factor at first glance, but I do love the fact that it is understated, classic, feminine, well-made, and perfectly functional (every other bag seemed to have a few of these attributes but not all of them like the MariaStella).

Maybe I'll just add a cute fob or scarf to it to personalize it a bit more. WC's had it shipped from their Boston outlet this past weekend. Once it comes in and gets on my arms, I'll post again. The only draw-back I see with this bag is that it doesn't have feet so I will have to be a bit careful about plopping it down so that the beautiful leather doesn't get banged up and ruin the bag...I'm very hard on my bags and because I don't switch them up daily, they do take a beating after a year of use.

Thank you for your kind words. As an at-home, active mom, this WAS/IS a fantastic handbag for my price-point. I couldn't believe how difficult it was to find an everyday bag in black leather!

Very pretty - I think it's just stunning! Sometime the bags with the big "wow" factor get really old...quickly...I know from painful experience.

Get a bag hook....then you don't need to worry about feet!

Your bag is lovely! I love Ferragamo because on most of the bags the logos are very subtle, leather is very high quality and the bags have a classic look. I have a black Sofia (I had a green one too, but I sold that) and a shoulder bag that has the gancio hardwear (do not know the name of that).

Congratulations on your new Ferragamo! I think you'll adore your "MariaStella" since this style fulfills all your requirements for a beautiful but functional bag.

Wear her in good health. :biggrin:

Your new StellaMaria is a pure delight. And, I am tickled that you mentioned Ferragamo as a possible 'old lady' bag ;o) I AM AN OLD LADY and I adore their bags! Actually, I'm 47 and I have small children... So, plz think of me as a 'younger' old lady ;)

I also adore Valentino, but try as I might, I simply cannot carry my Valentino as an every day bag. So, if you're replacing your every day bag, personally, I think you've made a marvelous choice in style, quality, and value. Please notice Jennifer Anniston carries many Ferragamo bags. I think she prefers an understated casual elegance to the 'bling-laden' handbags currently made by some other premier designers.

Your new bag is simply fabulous. I love it! Enjoy, Enjoy, and then... Enjoy some more because it'll last and last. (I purchased the SF "Sofia" in black today, myself.)

Cheers to us!

:smile:

I didn't mean to say they are still known as old lady bags. Five years ago, yes. Ferragamo was always understated, with clean lines, and a more mature classy look. In the past 5 years, there have been more curves, pleats, gathers, pockets, straps, etc., incorporated into Ferragamo designs. They are not as girlie as Valentino, or as flashy/trendy as Jimmy Choo. Ferragamo bags retain the classy, classic look with a modern chic feel. It seems like the target market of Ferragamo is someone who wants quality, functionality, and a look that will not go out of style.

When I go into a Ferragamo boutique and look around I fell like: yes, this is the place to come for a serious, impeccably made grown-up bag. I adore Ferragamo bags and wish more people would try them. Oh, and then I make a beeline for the shoes because I cannot resist them either.

At 47, rracia, you are still young compared to me :graucho: . I plan on wearing my Ferragamo bags until I am ancient and beyond.

Here it is mileysmuse...big. Look at how gorgeous your bag is!

attachment.php

Last edited:
just wanted to thank you all for easing my post purchase dissonance! my mariastella arrived a few days ago and as promised by the salesman at Woodbury, a completely new one was shipped from Boston without the little bit of wear showing on the pic above.

here's one question though for you SF guru's... the label only had the S.F. signature on the first line and "Made in Italy" on the second line. It didn't have the model number etched into it like other types of SF bags that i saw. Is this normal for the tag not to have a model number? If so, what does that indicate?

If anyone is contemplating buying this bag, here are my thoughts about it after having the opportunity to carry it around for a few days....

1. I LOOOOVVVVEEEEE the outside pockets!! For the first time in my life, I don't have to go fish for my keys AND, have not missed a call yet. I feel organized, not panicked when the phone rings.

2. I LOOOOVVVEEEEE the low profile/minimal depth. This bag sits extraordinarily comfortable on my shoulder and the length doesn't make me feel like an ape when i hold it by the handles. At 5'3" on a good day, I feel petite, even in sneakers.

3. I LOOOOVEEEE the light weight. After lugging around an oversized Cole Haan Genieve for two years, I forgot what a bag felt like as opposed to luggage!

4. I LOOOOVVVEEE everything about the interior. It has 2 pockets in the front interior and a zip compartment in the rear interior. The lining is beautiful and the 8 inch height provides more than enough volume to put all of my junk in the trunk...and find it too.

5. I'm glad that I opted for the larger 18.5" length...its not to overpowering and adds a little more presents to the bag.

6. I'm bummed that the back of the bag doesn't have the soft pleating or even attempt to mirror styling of the front of the bag in some fashion. I have to be conscious of which side it faces to show it off (lol).

7. I wish it had protective feet. I had to think twice before plopping my new baby in the grocery cart.

8. For me, I'm glad that I didn't opt for the marisa...i have had to consciously remind myself to zip it....the two step closure process of the marisa would have been a disaster for me....although i may say, the marisa in black patent leather was look'n mighty nice!

Jburgh, you've made me a SF fan although i still drool over channels & valentinos. but like you, I've got rracla beat by a few years too. my daughter's in high school & it means more to me to get her infrequent calls asap than to have a bling bag.

thank you all...you were right.

Last edited:
thanks all, if you like the MariaStella, the outlet holiday sales price for the one i just got in black for $722, now is $588; wrentham outlet has only 1 blk and 1 brown left; woodbury has a red and brown. don't know whether to be happy for anyone who gets it at this price or cry that i didn't, lol!

call richard peterson at woodbury if you are interested at 845-928-7116. he can locate and get you what you want.