My negative Cartier experience today

This sounds like a perfect excuse to book a trip to the Caribbean!!! I get the best deals there!

In any event, my feeling is this:

IF you're going to get a discount and NOT get the 1st time service fee, then the discount should have been the equivalent of the $475.

Contessa - I totally agree with you. Cartier boutique treated me unfairly. I'm usually not that smart (LOL!) to be sharp enough to remind them about that 1st free service. If I didn't speak up, they would have really cheated me. Better for them to take $250 off and not $475 off. They were just so sneaky about it.

lawfashionista - SA made it very clear that the 5% off could only be on a purchase over &5,000. They called me to be sure that it was the automatic one that I wanted which is over $5,000. The quartz one was under $5,000 and they would not discount that one.

Hokaplan: Sorry to hear about your experience at the Cartier boutique. Bad customer service really sucks, especially when you are spending a few thousand dollars. Going to the Cartier boutique is all about the experience for me. If not, I could just go to any authorized Cartier dealer and get a better price.

Also, I did not know that you get a free 1st service with Cartier. Do they give you a certificate for the free 1st service?

I believe the SA mails you a letter that is good for that first free service. Part of me really wants to go back tomorrow and buy it anyway. I would forget the 5% and just take the first free service. But it doesn't feel right to me to buy from them. My first impression of how my regular SA spoke to me and questioned my price-checking at other locations still bothers me. I feel that it is my right to shop around.

I loathe sneaky people. The last time someone tried to pull the wool over my eyes is when I was purchasing my vehicle 3 years ago (A-holes)

So when was Cartier planning on disclosing this information to you?

Customer service has really fallen by the way-side I find. People don't seem to care anymore about whether you purchase or not. In fact, I get the feeling in many cases that if YOU don't buy, someone else will.....AND for a higher price!

Hokoplan, with respect to your pissy SA, I'd go one step further: I'd call the largest Cartier boutique closest to you & request to speak with the Manager to tell them how you've been treated and ask him/her what they can offer you to "make up" for your negative experience and win your trust back as a client.

Hokaplan: I agree with Contessa. You should speak with the store manager or call Cartier 800 customer service number to explain your situation. I believe they will "make up" for the negative experience.

I wonder if their headquarters are based in New York. The manager of the store that I went to is the gentleman who told my SA not to give me the free service. But like I said, she neglected to mention it to me until I asked. When I specifically asked about it - that is when she said the manager made sure that I would not be eligible for that one-time free service. So I certainly do not want to speak with him. Do you really think someone higher up might do something for me if I complain?

I wonder if New York store will give me 5% off, free 1st time service and extend warranty from 2 to 4 years. My local Cartier was extending the warranty with EITHER 5% or free-service but not both.

The service is simply checking everything out and perhaps cleaning inside parts and maybe polishing. I don't know exactly but it costs $475 right now. In a few years, it will cost more. Rolex has a similar service with a similar price.

I wonder if their headquarters are based in New York. The manager of the store that I went to is the gentleman who told my SA not to give me the free service. But like I said, she neglected to mention it to me until I asked. When I specifically asked about it - that is when she said the manager made sure that I would not be eligible for that one-time free service. So I certainly do not want to speak with him. Do you really think someone higher up might do something for me if I complain?

You never know until you ask :smile:

Cartier has "attitude" -this I know for a fact. You'd think they'd be bending over backwards to take your $$$, but the sad reality these days is, even when you dish out thousands, it doesn't guarantee better customer service. Uncanny, isn't it?

So sorry to hear about your experience with them. It is your right to shop around! There is nothing wrong with that. The fact that you returned to your SA's store should have been proof of loyalty enough.

I work in retail and I would totally not stand to be treated that way. A 5% discount is nothing... that doesn't even cover your sales tax. It's one thing if you were a first time customer, you were acting like a pompous jerk and you were demanding a higher discount because you're "somebody"... the SAs would probably not want to do you any favors. (My personal favorite at work is when someone's acting like a big shot and asks what they'll get if they buy TWO items. My answer is usually, you'll get to walk out of the store with TWO items)

They have to expect that you're going to shop around. $5k is still a hunk of change and if some other authorized retailer will offer you a better price without the attitude, they should reason that any sane person would consider it.