My grandmas wedding band

LemonDrop

a Fendi bag and a bad attitude
O.G.
Jul 5, 2007
I have been honored by my Grandpa in receiving my Grandmas wedding band. It is a very skinny 14k gold band from 1947. I am wearing it on my ring finger and plan to keep it there forever.

The ring is way too big for me. like maybe a size 9 and I am a size 5. I have a thick silver band on the other side of it keeping it from flying it off.

I have been wearing it about 10 days. I don't think I will ever want to size it - b/c that would be changing it. And changing my Grandmas ring is way too emotional for me. I don't mind it being so big however I am worried about damaging it.

If it isn't lying flat against my skin will it suffer any more wear and tear than if it was? Someone mentioned putting a bar in it. But it still would be sticking out from my finger and with a bar would have no give like it does now.

thanks for any help.

you mentioned wearing it as a ring but that it isn't working. how about as a pendant? even less wear and tear. and the ring remains unchanged. what a lovely gift from your grandfather.

i am going through the same dilemma but with my aunt's ring that she just gave me. it is a good size or size and a half too large for me. since i had to take it to the jeweler for repair (it was missing some stones and the gold was worn down), i inquired about sizing it down, but apparently due to the shape of the ring with the stones, sizing it down (even just a size) would really affect the overall look and shape of the ring. so i opted to not size it down at all, and like you, just wear it with a band that's my size at the edge to protect it. my jeweler didn't seem concerned with this, so maybe yours will be fine, too.

I also think that wearing it as a pendant would be a good idea. Since the ring is way too big for your finger and has so much sentimental value, it makes sense to change the way you wear it. Adding a sizing bar of some kind doesn't sound like the best idea and wearing a ring that it that much bigger does seem like damage or a loss waiting to happen.

I have the same situation with my grandmother's ring, except hers is far too small and I don't want to damage the engraving on the inside. I wear it on a gold chain that I have "slip-knotted" over the ring to make it look like a circle pendant.

I am so happy for you!

I was given both my great grandmother's set and my grandmother's ring. I now wear them stacked on my right, ring finger and receive compliments quite often. I cherish them and they will be passed to my little one as well.

That's a really big size discrepancy and could pose a risk to your finger if it were to catch on something, not to mention damage to the ring. The idea of wearing it as a pendant is great, or maybe you could wear it on a different finger?

I don't mind the look or even notice the feel of it being too big. I'm just worried about damage to it b/c it is big and twirls around alot. The thought of it getting caught on something and breaking my finger or something freaks me out though.

How do they size a ring? Do they take out a part of it or melt it down and build it back? Have you had a ring so special sized? I just feel like I am taking away from what little I have left of my grandma. I really do want to wear it as a ring as I am married and don't have my own band.

thanks again.

see, i have had a ring sized down that was very special to me. my grandmother's wedding band that my grandfather (who both emigrated from italy) gave to my grandmother. i wanted to wear it securely and i felt by wearing it, i showed my love and appreciation for it more than if i were to stick it in a drawer for years and years hoping to pass it down to my daughter. i love it.

to be honest, if there isn't an engraving on it that would affect it being sized down, or the stones or design of the ring, then do it. it sounds like you'd much rather wear it on your finger than around your neck (i know i wouldn't want to wear it as a pendant, but that's me), so go for it.

but i would only go to a reputable jeweler that you trust and have him/her tell you what they truly feel is the best thing to do, because of the sentimental value involved, you want what's only best for the ring.

let's face it, it was given to you so you can wear it and enjoy. i don't believe that sizing it down would affect the sentiment, but obviously it has to come from you in the end.

good luck with whatever your decision is.

That is so cool! I, too, have my grandma's wedding ring. It's even engraved with their wedding date - 6/7/34 on the inside of the band. Can you post any pics? I'd love to see it!

My mother lost my grandmother's ring, I so wish I had it! If you can't come to terms with sizing it, I would just wear it around your neck. There are many jewelers that would do an excellent job at sizing though, and then you could wear it as it was intended.

They don't melt it down - they just cut out a portion and solder the ends together. If it is a plain band there should be no problem - especially if there isn't anything engraved on the inside. I have both of my grandmothers' wedding bands - one is a thin gold band like you describe - it's from around 1913. The other is from my mother's mother - it is rose gold with tiny diamonds and rubies - my mother had it sized down many years ago and now I have it - it fits me the way it is.

I don't think your grandmother would mind if you sized the ring - I think she would be happy you were wearing it! Why don't you ask your grandfather what he thinks you should do?