My first Bal - colour and hardware quality questions and concerns

longchamper

Dec 30, 2009
I have finally decided get the Day, which I have been looking at for years. However, having worked through a high number of threads on this forum, I have developed some questions and concerns. I hope before launching my search for the perfect Day, you can help me out with your expertise.

So, I want the Day in a classic everyday colour - either black or dark grey and GGH or RH (I am completely ruling out silver hardware - as lovely as it is, I am simply not a silver kind of gal). The bag is intended to last for years to come and I want to buy it only new, which means it should come from the current seasons.

My questions and concerns based on other threads:
1. How reliable is the giant gold hardware - I have read on this forum of tarnishing and chipping issues. Since I have also read on this forum that exceptional after-sales customer service is not something Balenciaga stands out for (please correct me if I am wrong here), I cannot count on them fixing the issue. My question is: how reliable is the GGH (my first choice) or should I just eliminate the risk and go for regular hardware?

2. How reliable is the colour - black or dark grey (anthracite or gris tarmac) - in the long term in terms of fading, colour changes etc?

3. Which colour to go for - black, anthracite or gris tarmac? I need it for everyday use and be as classic and versatile as possible. Also, I would prefer clean/pure colour but I can handle blue undertones, however, definitely no green undertones.

So all in all, which colour and hardware do you recommend for me in the Day? And I am sorry to ask but based on various threads focusing on inconsistent quality - considering I have high expectations for quality and longevity, would you recommend Balenciaga for me at all?

I much appreciate your feedback. I would love to finally own a Balenciaga - a much anticipated addition to my collection.

Hi there! I've had my Anthracite bag for almost 2 years now, no signs of fading or colour changes at all! I take it out a lot and it's been through pouring rain and sunny weather! I believe darker colours are less likely to fade compared to lighter ones. Unfortunately mine is in GSH so I don't know much about the reliability of GGH. :-s I think anthracite would be a good choice if you want a versatile bag, the colour varies under different lighting!! But for a more pure colour, maybe black or gris tarmac would be better? I hope that helps!! :sunshine:

My questions and concerns based on other threads:
1. How reliable is the giant gold hardware - I have read on this forum of tarnishing and chipping issues. Since I have also read on this forum that exceptional after-sales customer service is not something Balenciaga stands out for (please correct me if I am wrong here), I cannot count on them fixing the issue. My question is: how reliable is the GGH (my first choice) or should I just eliminate the risk and go for regular hardware?

2. How reliable is the colour - black or dark grey (anthracite or gris tarmac) - in the long term in terms of fading, colour changes etc?

3. Which colour to go for - black, anthracite or gris tarmac? I need it for everyday use and be as classic and versatile as possible. Also, I would prefer clean/pure colour but I can handle blue undertones, however, definitely no green undertones.

Hi - I have owned a part-time and a Day with mini gold hardware, but ended up selling them. The gold hardware is too flashy for me.

You cannot go wrong with any of the colors you highlighted here. I have a Black RH Day. I love it though I prefer rose gold giant hardware. The tassels bother me sometimes.

Not sure which anthracite color you are considering. I think the old anthracite color is different from the one that came out last year. Personally I will go for black or gris tarmac.

Thank you both for your opinions.

Lara Madeleine, I must admit based on my previous and so far only Bal experience with a GGH Hip, I also found the gold hardware unexpectedly shiny - too much so for my personal preference. I know I would feel seriously uncomfortable wearing something with such high bling factor but I thought perhaps it was about the particular combo of Gris Pyrite and GGH, and was hoping the shiny GGH would react differently on black or dark grey. Now that you mention it too, it strikes me that this is probably how the GGH simply is...

What got my interest started in the Day was the black GGH, which would have been my first preference. Gris tarmac GGH might have been the second. If GGH really is so shiny even on dark colours, I am afraid the shine will be too much for me, and to add to that the risk of tarnishing... I need to reconsider and perhaps indeed go for the black regular hardware, which seems like the most sustainable option in the long term. I hope the current black is black enough? I read from the tPP that the Day is being discontinued, so if I want to buy it new, this is probably my only chance...

Since you don't want green undertones you can take out Anthracite as you might have green undertones with that unless you find one with blue. I have one with green. This color however does not fade, at least mine didn't as opposed to black which fades easily. The gold hardware on my bags is as if I just bought them although I have had them for 3 years but I do rotate a lot since I have many. Tassels hand be a hassle sometimes that is why although I really really love them I have bought many Giant ones lately. IMO if you buy one of those dark colors you had better buy the giant hardware to
have a nice contrast there. Why don't you look for other colors which don't get dirty that easily and just stick on black and gray. My opinion is you should go to a Boutique and try on different colors to see what you like. The one I found very versatile and durable to dirt is the Ultraviolet. It gives your outfit a pop of color and it is a worry free color.

On the other hand, being an owner of many LV bags I can tell you that canvas bags are worry free too as they are not leather bags and you can find many styles for everyday use.