My Experience in the NYC Bottega Veneta

Kathy K

O.G.
Feb 24, 2006
I took my daughter to New York City this weekend to see a play and do some shopping. I was within a few blocks of the Madison Avenue Bottega Veneta store, so couldn't resist the temptation to walk up and see the new bags.

The store was virtually empty. There was one female customer looking semi-seriously at a bag, but she left within the first couple of minutes empty-handed. Other than that there was no one in the store except for the sales associates. Despite that, I was completely ignored by all of the SAs. Now, truth to tell, I was dressed like the tourist I was, including jeans and sneakers. However, I wasn't dressed at all grubbily -- the jeans were designer, my clothes were clean, and I was carrying a Balenciaga bag. Nonetheless, I couldn't get their attention AT ALL until I walked up to one and even then, he could not possibly have looked less interested in helping me. He answered my question about the color of a bag I was looking at (turbulence) and then walked away, forcing me to follow him to ask him an additional question. My second question was whether they had any cervo bags in stock, since the part of the store I was in seemed to have only nappa. He asked me what cervo was, and then said that of course the store did not have any deer skin bags. He looked positively aghast, as though I had asked him if they had bags made out of monkeys or something. I thanked him, and walked away to look at bags at the back of the store, and saw any number of cervo bags. At that point, I wouldn't have bought a bag if money had fallen out of the sky and landed on my head.

Anyway, just thought I'd vent. Not sure if this is a common experience, or if maybe this particular BV shop is snootier than most, but I found it utterly insulting, and incomprehensible in an environment in which SAs work on commission. :tdown:

Sorry for the rant, but sheesh!

Sounds, absolutely awful. I never got treated like that at the Chicago BV. The last time my friend and I were in Chicago, we got attentive treatment from the SA, as well as sparkling water in wine glasses.

I'll be interested to hear about more experiences, both good and bad.

I have to admit that also in the 5th Ave store, there are some SAs that you have to basically beg for their attention, but there were a few that were attentive, knew the products and how to treat you as a customer.

Here in Europe, I think BV SAs are the most friendly and helpful of all the stores and I think they're chosen quite carefully.

Maybe it's one of the downsides of BV growing so popular. The more stores a brand owns and the bigger these stores get, you have to hire more people who might not always meet the highest standards.

wow....sorry about your experience Kathy K, that's really horrendous service. :sad:
Generally I've found the SAs in Singapore to be attentive, a few are warm and helpful, but some others are a tad cool. The SAs in the US, whom I've ordered a few bags from over the phone, have been warm and knowledgeable. And so are many of the SAs referenced in the forum, so I hope the snooty ones belong to the minority.

Hope this haven't put you off BV bags!

Kathy K, Jane took the words right out of my mouth. I hope you write a letter to corporate and send a copy to the store's manager as well.

BTW, what was the outcome of the rubbed areas on the piping of your carmino ball?

I was in that store about a year ago and I didn't have a problem.But I don't blame you for being mad. I plan to check it out this weekend. I will let you know what kind of service I get.

BTW, what was the outcome of the rubbed areas on the piping of your carmino ball?

LLANeedle, you have a VERY good memory! I showed the spot to my husband, and he claimed that he couldn't see anything, so I suspect I'm guilty of being overly fastidious. I talked to Barbara at LovinMyBags, and she said she could put a spray protectant on the bag. That sounds like a good idea, but I thought I'd wait til the Tysons BV opens and ask them about it. I LOVE LovinMyBags, but I'm really scared of spraying the bag with anything. Now that the Tysons BV is open, I'll take it there in the next couple of days and see what they say. More than likely I'll just try to forget the small rubbed area, and just enjoy the bag.

Allisonfaye, I'm definitely curious to see what kind of service you get. Maybe I just looked too much like a tourist?

ugh! Sorry to hear Kathy. No wonder the store was empty.

i have to boast about my local BV in Houston where the SAs are so friendly and attentive that you would feel bad if you do not buy anything lol

KathyK, I happened to remember because I bought the same bag from AC the same time you did. I even mentioned your problem to Nicole in one of my phone conversations. She said every so often there's a bag......that was definitely the case with my studded veneta. I had a problem no one else had. A while back there was a bag and everyone she sold came back...something about the paint color (?) on the handle. BV finally pulled all bags and they never returned.

You know, tourist or local, dressed or scruffy, looking or buying, no one should be treated rudely. I hope you write up a complaint.

Don't forget to tell us about Tysons.

The NYC BV is the only BV boutique I've ever been in and although I was also dressed somewhat tourist-y when I was there in May (although it was POURING at the time so everyone in NYC that afternoon had to either be wearing serious rain gear or else would have been absolutely drenched, so it would have been hard to differentiate) I was treated absolutely fine...

The SA who helped me (although I didn't get his name - I was too shy to ask and thought it would be on the receipt for future reference but then it wasn't...) was very nice and not pompous at all - and I have a very low threshold for feeling out of place in stores, so believe me, if I had felt any attitude at all I would have turned tail and run away really fast! I did have a BV with me (although it was under my raincoat when I arrived because, really, it was POURING) so don't know if that would have made a difference.

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience, though.