Travel Mumbai vs New Delhi in June

Christine

Back in 5 minutes..
O.G.
Sep 15, 2006
Ok, I have enought FF miles to get me and the Mister from Texas to India in style (if I book in the next ten seconds.. lol) and then paying for onward travel to Thailand for a week. We'd like to come back and experience India for a few days before heading home. Does anyone have an opinion on which city to visit in June? Or better times of the year? I've read monsoon season starts in June in Mumbai. Later in New Delhi. The priority is getting direct flights from Thailand so either city would do but.. I would also like to have a cultural experience in India for a few days.

Not sure about Thailand but that is me asking questions in another thread - not this one.

We could wait until September and route through NRT or HKG but I've been so looking for alternate cities to visit.

I appreciate the input. Let me know if I missed a few items in *search*!

If you have a chance to go to Thailand, I highly recommend it. I went to Bangkok last late September/early October with my sister. It was AMAZING! The people are very friendly and it is really inexpensive city - not to mention beautiful. I would suggest seeing as many temples as you can. Wat Arun and Wat Pho were my favorites.

As for India, I have never been. I am hoping to go to Jaipur with my sister this year. She has gone to India many times before and she wasn't a fan of New Delhi.

Hope this helps.

I would recommend going to Delhi. I went during October and did the Golden Triangle tour - Delhi, Agra (Taj Mahal), & Jaipur. From Delhi, you can hire a car with your hotel or through the tourism group my family went with. I don't have the name of it right now b/c I'm at work :P but I can find it when I get home. Our driver and helper were EXCELLENT, they drove us SAFELY for 7 days with our luggage everywhere. It was about 5 hours drive from Delhi to Agra to see the Taj Mahal and it was worth it. If you do get the chance to go to Jaipur, i would really recommend staying at Le Meridien Jaipur, it was fantastic!

Just be prepared that it'll be REALLY HOT. We went in Oct and it was average 36 degrees celsius.

Let us know what you decide! I'm so excited for you!

oh and i would be biased to say you should route through HKG b/c i'm from HK! but NRT is good too and you will be expereiencing extreme differences between Delhi/Mumbai and HKG/NRT.

Unfortunately the reward seats are extremly difficult to obtain going in that direction. I have been to HKG so many times (love it!) but woudn't mind checking out Tokyo - the DF would like to go to either. Sigh.. no seats available - even in September now.

We don't plan to stay a long time in India, no more than a few days. The majority of the trip would be in Thailand. But I don't want to get hit with a monsoon to wreck everything!!