Mulberry vs. Burberry

Gatsby

O.G.
Oct 10, 2006
I ask this especially to the British ladies because someone in the main forum asked about Burberry vs. Chanel and someone from the UK chimed in about the "chav" reputation. At the same time, someone in the Burberry forum asked if the Burberry bags have the same reputation as the Burberry trenchcoats and she noted the Burberry bags that she likes are more Mulberry in style.

I've always thought of Mulberry as more authentically British and Burberry, other than the trenchcoats and the scarves, as a more commercialized version. I still like the Burberry plaid, but, I remember going through customs at Heathrow and seeing a woman in fake Burberry plaid from head to toe. It was a little embarrassing even though probably sweet that she was likely trying to fit in from her perspective.

What do the UK ladies think of Burberry vs. Mulberry? I think of the Burberry trenches and scarves as pretty great. But while the coated canvas totes can be cute, they don't at all compare to Mulberry, which I think of more as like a British riding saddle (weird?). Thoughts? :shrugs:

Personally, I am not a big Burberry fan. Some of the bags are nice, but so expensive I am priced right out of owning one. They can never compare to Mulberry because it seems like they are trying too hard to get upmarket again. Mulberry has always been known for quality leather at a non-outrageous price. That is why I am a fan!!!

Again, I think some of the Burberry Prorsum is really fantastic, but way too expensive.

My son does have a little Burberry top and jeans that he looks really scrummy in. But I will live my Burberry buying for my children.

And since when are Burberry trenchcoats chav????
Am I missing something? I know the caps, jumpers and jeans are, but anyone wearing a trenchcoat automatically excludes them from Chavdom...innit!

When I think of British labels I always think of Burberry first as it’s a more established brand – Burberry is over 100 years older than Mulberry – in terms of fashion houses Mulberry is a baby.
Also Burberry has etched it’s self into Britain’s history in many ways.

I do think some of Burberrys current collection resembles Mulberry’s.

With regards to the Mulberry – Chanel debate I really don’t see the connection.

I think that Burberry has been given a bad name because of the Chav association. It is very distinctive, which is why the chav's chose it in the first place.

The whole point of a chav (as far as I can see it) is that they cover themselves in "designer" labels such as the LV monogram, Chanel logo and Burberry plaid in an attempt to fool everybody that they have loads of money and style and can afford designer items.

They tend to leave Mulberry alone because the bags are not covered in the logo and, to some extent Mulberry is less known. I'm sure that if you asked 100 people if they could pick out a Mulberry bag out of lots of different photos, most would not know one (unless maybe it was the Roxy).

Mulberry bags are never IT bags as far as I know so the Chavs would have no way in knowing about them.

*Just my opinion*

And since when are Burberry trenchcoats chav????
Am I missing something? I know the caps, jumpers and jeans are, but anyone wearing a trenchcoat automatically excludes them from Chavdom...innit!
Thanks everyone for the feedback, I was not at all suggesting the trenchcoats are chav, just asking if there was some sort of perception of that in the UK. Understand, in the US, Burberry is not considered anything but British upscale. We don't even use the word chav but I've heard it referenced often with regard to Burberry in the UK and wondered how far it went.

Well sorry but- Burberry is faked so much over here in the u.k and is the stamp of the CHAV and Daniella westbrook also did alot of damage to the brand.

Alot of people over here will not wear Burberry for these reasons alone.

I am in the US, but don't really care for Burberry, mainly because I see so many fakes. I am just not wild about the plaid, although I do like some of the leather bags. Way too over-priced though!

I think that Burberry has been given a bad name because of the Chav association. It is very distinctive, which is why the chav's chose it in the first place.

The whole point of a chav (as far as I can see it) is that they cover themselves in "designer" labels such as the LV monogram, Chanel logo and Burberry plaid in an attempt to fool everybody that they have loads of money and style and can afford designer items.

They tend to leave Mulberry alone because the bags are not covered in the logo and, to some extent Mulberry is less known. I'm sure that if you asked 100 people if they could pick out a Mulberry bag out of lots of different photos, most would not know one (unless maybe it was the Roxy).

Mulberry bags are never IT bags as far as I know so the Chavs would have no way in knowing about them.

*Just my opinion*

I think you are exactly right. My theory is (and LV fans will disagree) that LV in the US, is what Burberry in the UK is. LV is easily faked and every third person in the mall is carrying an LV bag, real or not. There is nothing aspirational about them anymore.

With Mulberry, those that know Mulberry have a genuine appreciation for them, love them and comment when you're carrying one.

Well sorry but- Burberry is faked so much over here in the u.k and is the stamp of the CHAV and Daniella westbrook also did alot of damage to the brand.

Alot of people over here will not wear Burberry for these reasons alone.

So...you're saying the trenchcoats do have that reputation in the UK? That's exactly what I was curious about. I just wanted to know how far it went in the UK - thanks so much. It's not all the earth-shattering but interesting.

As you can see, Mulberry does not suffer that reputation - in the US, we have to try to FIND them!

And yes, I keep adding Mulberry so my question doesn't get moved ;)

When I think of British labels I always think of Burberry first as it’s a more established brand – Burberry is over 100 years older than Mulberry – in terms of fashion houses Mulberry is a baby.
Also Burberry has etched it’s self into Britain’s history in many ways.

I do think some of Burberrys current collection resembles Mulberry’s.

With regards to the Mulberry – Chanel debate I really don’t see the connection.

No connection between Mulberry and Chanel whatsoever. The question was posted in the main forum as someone was trying to decide between Burberry and Chanel and the chav point was made by someone living in the UK. Since UK ladies have many Mulberry bags, I just thought I would ask them :smile: as I had heard that before.