Mould or just leather peeling?

whisky1991

Nov 19, 2018
Hi everyone, long time lurker here posting for the first time. I love Givenchy bags and own 2 of them, one of which is my Antigona that I just got in September this year.

After using it daily for a month, I noticed some peeling (?) on the handles and straps of the bag. I took it to a few professional bag cleaning places and half of them said it’s mould while the other half said it’s peeling / problem with the leather finishing.

What do you guys think? If it’s really mould, should I send it for professional cleaning and then recolour it? I was told the stain/ marks are permanent because they are caused by fungus.

IMG_6336.JPGIMG_6338.JPGIMG_6344.JPG

Thanks in advance!

Do you live in an area with humid climate? If so, I recall past posters from humid locations with irregularities to the leather. If not, I think it's more of an issue with the leather staining. Beautiful color btw.
Is it possible to take it to a Givenchy store and have them assess it? Luckily, the discolorations are small and not that noticeable. Recolouring to me sounds scary, so I would only do it if it's the last possible option.

Do you live in an area with humid climate? If so, I recall past posters from humid locations with irregularities to the leather. If not, I think it's more of an issue with the leather staining. Beautiful color btw.
Is it possible to take it to a Givenchy store and have them assess it? Luckily, the discolorations are small and not that noticeable. Recolouring to me sounds scary, so I would only do it if it's the last possible option.

Yes I do! I live in Singapore and it’s pretty humid... the bag was in storage for a month before I took it out to use but I placed some charcoal bags along with it so I thought it would have been fine.. I’m really not sure what to do with it now.

Maybe I’ll bring it to the Givenchy store but I’m not sure if the SAs will be able to give an accurate assessment. My top priority is that it doesn’t spread and get worse? If this were mould, does it spread?

Thanks for the advice and also thoughts on recolouring! I would hate to have to change the color of the bag because I love it the way it is now!

Yes I do! I live in Singapore and it’s pretty humid... the bag was in storage for a month before I took it out to use but I placed some charcoal bags along with it so I thought it would have been fine.. I’m really not sure what to do with it now.

Maybe I’ll bring it to the Givenchy store but I’m not sure if the SAs will be able to give an accurate assessment. My top priority is that it doesn’t spread and get worse? If this were mould, does it spread?

Thanks for the advice and also thoughts on recolouring! I would hate to have to change the color of the bag because I love it the way it is now!

by nature, mold does spread, so if half of the cleaning places assessed it as mold, I'd take action to prevent that first. at least after cleaning, you'll at least have a peace of mind with a mold-free bag,right? do they guarantee that the mold will be gone once cleaned?

also, after cleaning, can you then decide if you need to recolor? will cleaning strip original color away?

Once you take cleaning as the next course of action, we can then reassess next steps.

just for reference, you can search for "humid" in this subforum to see what else ppl may have wrote in relation to your issue.