More job drama -- I am at my wit's end here

lorihmatthews

A taste for the arts
O.G.
Oct 7, 2006
I couldn't believe this email that I received this afternoon from a coworker, NOT a supervisor, who copied my boss. BTW, I was not responsible for the work done, I just received it from our creatives and my coworker freaked out on me. Is this grounds for citing a hostile work environment or am I just overreacting because I'm so sensitive? Also, this person talks like this is solely her client, which is not true.

Here's the message:

This creative is totally unacceptable. There is no abstract of the white paper! What are people supposed to know about the white paper? Remember, they are following a paid search link to this page.

Also, do you mean to tell me that the $3k that my client is paying is for a .gif file??? Seriously, the only change in these two pages is a .gif file and we are supposed to track which one performs better???

Please send the abstract of the paper to the creative house and tell them that we need this turned around ASAP.

Also, do not send anything to the client until you have run it by me first.

Thoughts, please? Besides hightail it out of here?

Lori, I don't think that is enough grounds to justify for a hostile work environment though it sounds like a lousy atmosphere to work in.
I liked the idea of the poster on your other thread that said give 3 months notice and get the h*** out of there.

Whoa Lori, when it rains it pours!! I'm so sorry you're dealing with this too! :hugs:

Is this email (tone and cc'ing your boss) out of character of the sender of this email? I'm just wondering if that little wench is getting to other people too. If so, it just astounds me anyone would buy into her BS. :tdown:

I agree with NWpurselover that this email in itself is not enough to contribute to a hostile work environment, but I can totally see how it's put you on edge.

I would treat it as you would any other email in this tone and not let it freak you too much about the boss cc. Something may have peed in this person's corn flakes that day and unfortunately you got the brunt end of her grumpiness. Maybe talk to this coworker in person to straighten it out. Depending on how well you know her/get along with her usually, you could even ask her why she thought it was necessary to copy your boss on this matter?

And yep, do get your resume in order and start looking.

I'm sorry you're going through this.

Hi. I just ran into this and had to comment.

Without knowing anything about the situation, one thing is certain: the person who wrote that note lacks class. Such tone never accomplishes what the note says it intends to accomplish. It only demoralizes the receiver, who then is less likely to do whatever it takes to help rectify the situation. Unfortunately, as expensive as they are nowadays, universities teach everything but wisdom.

That is so unprofessional! I'm actually really angry just reading that stupid email! You really need to cite a hostile work environment and speak to your boss about it. No one needs to go that far, especially when you weren't responsible for the work in the first place. That woman may be starting to spread more rumors about you... does she want your job? Could that be the reason why she's so vindictive?

I know it's hard, but you really need to start looking around for another job, and possibly talk to your boss on a personal level so he/she gives you a good outgoing recommendation despite the office environment.

I have an A-hole coworker like that. He doesn't think before he sends emails to people and he is a boss-copier. The last time he did that to me (he basically sent an email ragging on some feedback I gave and that made our group look disconnected), my manager came down on him hard.

He's made people cry. People are refusing to work with him anymore. One guy got a "Jack-a$$ special" (I refer to said-coworker's emails as such) and this gentleman (the recipient) told me later that after reading it he just went home for the day, he was so p!ssed off.

Long story short - there are a$$es everywhere. Don't let them get you down!

Believe it or not, this is a different person than the one who was causing me grief earlier. This person is our biz dev woman, and she has no business acting like she is my supervisor. I do not report to her.

The other thorn in my side, the girl who is under me, is still causing me stress ...

I can't remember the last time I typed a message with 3 question marks, maybe I was around 12?

You aren't the one doing the work she is talking about? Well then, if it were me ;), I would shoot it back to her copying the same people and tell her since this is not your responsibility maybe she should direct the email to the person in charge thank you very much :lol:

From all the office settings I've worked. To come across as professional, you shouldn't use many exclamation marks, which she doesn't use, but you definitely don't use "???" at the end of sentences, because it's too emphatic and it usually shows you're mad. It's too forceful and an unprofessional way to communicate over email in the workplace.

Not knowing much about your situation, I would say besides the punctuation, her tone is inappropriate. If she's that angry with you, she should speak to you in person in a calm way.

Wow, Lori, I'm so sorry. It doesn't sound hostile, exactly, but it certainly doesn't sound like the kindest or most tactful approach -- not to mention that you said it's not really your responsiblity.

Did your firm end up losing that big client you mentioned a while back? Is this why everyone is so on edge? I only recall you speaking of your company in glowing terms before, and I'm so shocked it's come to this.

Hugs. :heart: