More Expensive Than Your Manager's Bag

if its not a flashy bag, like an epi or maybe even a damier, it would be OK. the monogram stands out too much. i would ease in to it, lol. but yeah, it does depend on the environment.

at my old job, i carried my Palermo or Speedy and my boss never said anything. I quit because I was never offered a raise and since I'm actually friends with my former boss, he said it was because I carried expensive bags so they thought that other people needed the money more than i did. =\

and at my current job, i get nasty stares from one of my coworkers lol. it turns out that she is in a lot of debt so i don't really carry my LV's anymore to work not because she bothers me but as a sign of respect. I know that when I was going through financial hardships, seeing my friend's designer purchases did make me sad.

and besides, you need to make nice in the workplace. you never know who's help you're going to need, who's going to get promoted, who's connections will help you out, etc.

This is good advice.

that is great advice. My CHANEL flaps never see the insides of my office. I rock my YSL tribute tote everyday because there are no logos displayed and most can barely tell that its designer!

I'm not sure if it's a factor but my workplace is 90% male.. hers on the otherhand is mostly female!

I think it does make a difference if your workplace is mostly female or male. I work with almost all women and most of them are kind of petty and catty and they do make a lot of judgments on how much one should spend on bags, clothes and shoes. The few male co-workers don't care - sometimes if I carry a bag in (or wear something dressier/interesting), the male co-workers would just tell me it looks nice, whereas most of the female co-workers would just automatically interrogate me on the cost and then saying, they can't justify it.:shrugs:

I personally think that there are several factors to consider. One is the type of job, work, work place dress code, etc. I would also never wear a bag that my manager couldn't afford to purchase personally I think that creates too much drama. I do carry my designer bags but they go straight into my desk drawer so its not like I'm walking around with them nor do people see them too much. Its something to think about definitely and a one size answer doesn't fit all imo.

If I were you, I'd get a gorgeous designer bag with no labels on it that is not so easy to recognize.

People are very judgmental, and while it is wrong, it's what the reality is. You may not get that promotion or raise because of your bag and people assuming you don't need the extra money.

I find it such a double-standard, because no one blinks an eye when people drop loads of cash on the latest electronic equipment, but give dirty stares for designer accessories. They seem like kids in a candy store when someone pulls out the latest iphone with everyone oohing and aahing and seeing how cool it is, but god forbid you spend the same money on a handbag and carry a cheap "free with 2-year service agreement" cell phone in it. You've both spent the same amount of money on something that is not a necessity, but guess who is the one who will be judged?

this topic was at chanel forum and a lady was new to the office...may be an intern and she put her purse in the drawer.......and another employee just opened her drawer while she's gone to lunch or bathroom break and use a knife to cut the bottom of her purse. the b*tch denied it later....it's a nightmare.
personally i wouldn't care but there's a lot of haters out there. check out the ppl first before if you want to be safe.

That is one hateful lady.

and besides, you need to make nice in the workplace. you never know who's help you're going to need, who's going to get promoted, who's connections will help you out, etc.

Very good advice. You never know who you will need/rely on later to help you advance in your career.

You will be judged no matter what you wear or carry. Just be prepared for it.

I have never worked in a situation where this ever crossed my mind...there are 4 total women in my new office, and I am the youngest one here, by at least 10 years, and no one on the other side (where the other 3 women are) even care about anything fashionable...I can see why one isn't like that, but the other two...weird. Anyway...I came from my own agency where I was a partner and was the only girl there most of the time, as the only other female there was on half-days off of maternity leave. SHE cared, but not as much as I did.

I have no idea what my post has to do with this now that I read back...lol

I guess what I should say is:

Will this woman KNOW that your bag is more expensive? If not, no sweat.

I'm a bit shocked kuz this would never even cross my mind. What do you mean if it's "okay"? OK according to what, to whom? Do people actually use or don't use a bag based on the bags others--in this case someone at work--use?