More complements on cheaper bags

jcriley5

Feb 3, 2007
I was thinking today- I have many LVs, one Hayden Harnett, one Linea Pelle, one Tano, and one Big Buddha. Out of my bags I realized that my Tano and Big Buddha bag, which are the less expensive of my purses, gets complements the most!! My Tano was about $150 and my Big Buddha was $55 and actually my Big Buddha gets the most complements of all- I actually get stopped in stores, on the streets from strangers! Does this happen to you with your less expensive bags? Makes me want to carry my BIg Buddha more!

I have a beautiful tooled & python embossed leather bag by Sharif that I bought from Hsn a few yrs. ago (though his stuff latley is too gaudy for my taste) & I get complimented on it on every-single time I wear it. I'm new to high end label bags & though only a few have complimented my LV, I sure do get TONS of stares while carrying it. U do not see many high-end labels wear I live, but you do see an occasional (obvius) fake & very, very few authentic.

^touche!

But then again, maybe people resist in complimenting people with more expensive bags because of some of the stereotypes that come along with carrying expensive bags: snobby, stuck up, etc. so maybe some people don't want to feed the ego. I don't normally compliment people on their bags no matter how nice unless they are friends of mine.

It seems that my Francesco Biasia bag and Marc by Marc Jacobs receive the most compliments, from friends and strangers and those are in the range of USD300 to 400. Never my USD3000 Chanel bags or USD1600 LV bag.

I had a woman chase me down in a parking lot at the supermarket once just to ask me about my Tano French Nanny in the most gorgeous "pool" blue color. She wanted to know if I got it locally, or where she could purchase one. I think the color caught her eye.

i've noticed that my friends and people i know casually compliment me on my more expensive bags, but my melie bianco and big buddha bags get the most attention from strangers. odd...

It's funny, the two bags that I have received the most compliments on (from strangers) are an older Nine West bag I had a few years ago in purple (not even real leather and cost $50) and my Ignes Mini Sophia in raspberry which cost $249. None of my more expensive bags have received compliments outside friends and family or this forum. Interesting isn't it! Just goes to show you don't have to spend a lot to get a beautiful bag.

Linda

I have many expensive bags including hermes ,but the only complements i get is for my cheap $285 ,nameless bag ...they keep asking me what brand it is but honestly it was just bag I picked up..weird

Perhaps the less expensive bags get compliments because they aren't instantly identifiable. I mean, a lot of people know the LV and Chanel logos and most people aren't willing to spend that much for a bag. However, with something like a BB or my Calvin Klein, there's no noticeable logo so a compliment could really be someone fishing for a brand because they think it's not necessarily out of their price range.

The one expensive bag that people have really complimented me on is my Tangerine RM MAM. I've had my share of other bags like LV, Coach, Dior... but I too notice that I get more compliments on my less expensive bags.

I feel that LV and Coach are such common bags now that they are nothing special. Alot of people may wonder if it is real or fake and hesitate about talking about it.

I do get alot of compliments on alot of my cheaper bags from Express and the Limited. The styles are more edgy and for the price, I can afford to buy them without worrying that they will go out of style. My cheaper bags tend to follow trends more closely than my expensive bags. Maybe this is why I tend to get more compliments on my cheap bags.

My Tanos used to get attention, probably because of the colors. Now I'm carrying the flashier RMs which get attention--the Stud Devotes or the Patent Charcoal or Pewter. Although, actually, I got a compliment the other day about my 'plain jane' chocolate RM Morning After Mini...which I love, but it is definitely more understated.

I love the idea of getting compliments on an orange canvas hobo! My orange Tano Guerilla Tote used to get me lots of commentary, too and it was $125 brand-new. Those were the days...