Travel Money Belts? Neck Wallets? Who has found good ways of protecting your docs and $$?

I tend to use a money belt in Europe. If I am desperate, I sometimes stuff my credit card in my sneakers during winter travel (this is especially so for train travels as you may doze off god forbid). I also bring only bags with zips (no Neverful like bags) and tend to hug my bag closely in the metro and walking, either clutched under my armpit or slung in front of me. I never let my bag out of sight at any time even when sitting at a dining table (bag in my lap, never behind). My friend had her HP stolen when someone shoved a map in front of her while she was at a cafe - her HP was on the table.

DH on the other hand uses a sling document bag and shortens the sling so the bag stops around his waist-hip rather than butt area and he slings it front-ish never behind. He says better to look silly than lose everything. And I have been a victim of Italian train robbery before (whilst we were asleep) so I am cautious.

Europe is beautiful and not filled with thieves - just exercise common sense and caution

I just use a regular purse. I am hyper-aware of who is around me, especially in crowded areas like flea markets or on crowded metro cars. I keep my arm clamped over my purse and I have copies of all important documents. I'm even careful not to walk close to the street so motor scooters can't grab my purse. I also wear comfortable shoes. I heard that many grab and runs on motors scooters or on foot target women who are alone with high heels on, so it's difficult to run after them. If I need to be hands-free a lot I use a cross-body bag.

I leave all important docs in the hotel safe (either in my room or the regular hotel safe in a locked pouch) and just carry a color copy of my passport, a single credit card and some cash. I also leave color copies of my credit cards and passport either in my apartment or with my parents for emergencies (usually both).

When we were traveling from Florence to Venice and back to Florence last week, BF wore a moneybelt for our passports as we traveled until we got to our room and safe. I used a black nylon prada cross body zip bag and basically just carried some euros because Venice was really crowded. I think most people already exercise a good deal of caution, especially if you live in a bigger city, so I wouldn't worry too much, just be conscious of your surroundings and keep your bag in your lap or on you at all times.

I was in Belgium in May on on the train to Bruges, the conductor told us there were pickpockets on th train. I dunno why but it made me chuckle that they put us all on guard.

Oh and the gold ring scam happened right in front of me in Paris but that was before I knew what it was. I saw a woman trying to give a man and his wife a ring and they kept walking as if they didn't hear. Me being the good person that I am started trying to get their attention as well and asked them if they dropped their ring. They told me all about the scam. I felt like a fool! LOL. The next time I was in Paris, someone tried this scam on me and I kept walking. :smile:

^ Paris is tragic with the pick pockets and the gypsies everywhere. I don't even want to mention the gangs in the suburbs...:faint: I got mugged in a suburb (visiting friends/ students at a university) under gunpoint several years ago because I was cheap and thought I should return to my hotel with the metro and skipped the taxi... Whenever I hear ppl talk about trips to Paris I'm on the verge of a panic attack.

Avoid carrying a wallet with your whole life in it, just use all your pockets and divide your money and important papers in the pockets. I usually have several 20s in my pockets and hand bag and my passport is in DH's front breast pocket, or when I'm alone in the room safe and I carry a photocopy.
If you don't have pockets (sun or cocktail dress) wear a cross body and be aware of who is sitting next to you. Keep a safe distance with ppl and when ladies with babies, or young boys selling lighters approach you, just wave them away and move on.

I disagree that it is ok to look silly with funny packs etc. It actually makes you a target.
I beg of you do not dress like that:
attachment.php

It is not for fashion, but for your safety.

Attachments

• 8uo0uh_blogamerican_tourists-200x200.jpg
    8uo0uh_blogamerican_tourists-200x200.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 649
Thanks for starting this thread OP!!

I am going to Italy for the first time this October for 2 weeks. I will only be visiting north Italy (I heard it's a little safer than Rome when it comes to scams and such..but I am preparing myself!) I read about the different types of scams on a couple of websites:

http://journals.worldnomads.com/safetyhub/story/69751/Italy/Italy-Common-Scams

http://www.ricksteves.com/graffiti/graffiti11.html

http://www.travelboards.eu/showthread.php?t=4258

My boyfriend will be using the waist pouch for majority of the money and our passport/important documents. We will send copies of these documents to ourself through email.. I kind of decided that I am not going to bring a wallet. I am just going to put my cash and cards in the zipper pouch of my bag and reach my hands in when I need something. This way, I won't expose anything. ^_^ I also figured it will lighten the load of things I will have to lug around. =P

^ Paris is tragic with the pick pockets and the gypsies everywhere. I don't even want to mention the gangs in the suburbs...:faint: I got mugged in a suburb (visiting friends/ students at a university) under gunpoint several years ago because I was cheap and thought I should return to my hotel with the metro and skipped the taxi... Whenever I hear ppl talk about trips to Paris I'm on the verge of a panic attack.

Avoid carrying a wallet with your whole life in it, just use all your pockets and divide your money and important papers in the pockets. I usually have several 20s in my pockets and hand bag and my passport is in DH's front breast pocket, or when I'm alone in the room safe and I carry a photocopy.
If you don't have pockets (sun or cocktail dress) wear a cross body and be aware of who is sitting next to you. Keep a safe distance with ppl and when ladies with babies, or young boys selling lighters approach you, just wave them away and move on.

I disagree that it is ok to look silly with funny packs etc. It actually makes you a target.
I beg of you do not dress like that:
attachment.php

It is not for fashion, but for your safety.

Mon Dieu! I have never been to the banlieus because I heard they are dangerous. But it's a smart tip that sometimes you're better off hopping in a cab.

I never got the appeal of fanny packs because you're very obviously putting the place where you keep your money/keys/documents/etc OUT THERE. And it also screams American tourist.

i need to go shop for a multi pocketed, not a fmous brand cross body bag. any suggestions?

the first time in europe, i went with a huge tour group so no harm there. second time, a friend and i went to paris and barcelona in February and didn't have any scams... this was more than 5 years ago... i guess times are tougher and there are more scams now?

i need to go shop for a multi pocketed, not a fmous brand cross body bag. any suggestions?

the first time in europe, i went with a huge tour group so no harm there. second time, a friend and i went to paris and barcelona in February and didn't have any scams... this was more than 5 years ago... i guess times are tougher and there are more scams now?

check out ameribag. I have several sizes and love them for travel.
where are you going? I was in Barcelona this summer and you def. need to be careful. ... but, it's a blast!

check out ameribag. I have several sizes and love them for travel.
where are you going? I was in Barcelona this summer and you def. need to be careful. ... but, it's a blast!

I think I mentioned this before but my friend got her cross body purse yanked while we were on a busy street in BCN. Thief ran between across the busy street from one alley to the next. Luckily it just pulled her down .. They didn't get the bag - they would have if it had been hanging over her shoulder

If one gets a cross body, make sure the straps are thick! Thin ones can be cut easily.

Make sure you cover your passport in a ziploc bag first before putting into your moneybelt. I prefer a money belt over a neck wallet :smile:

Also, I never had issues with pickpocketing in europe but I used common sense a lot. Don´t put a wallet in your backpack and then have your bag in the back. Messenger bags work perfectly well and if anything put your essentials inside your jacket if you are wearing one.

Make sure you do NOT talk to strangers (I´m dead serious on this one. If someone approaches u asking for directions simply say no and keep walking). My brother lost his bag with vintage cameras while giving directions to a man in spain. My mom had her chanel WOC opened while CROSSING the street!! By this very PRETTY lady!!! Luckily she didn´t have any money and OMG that was just a few seconds! Always have your bag close to you at all times.

hth!

Yeah - I've heard the stories about the direction scam and the gold ring scam.
Good tip about the zip lock
I never carry backpacks but I think I will bring my large Longchamp Les PLiages zip tote and a smaller messenger bag (I'll wear one at a time, not both)

sorry for soundling like an idiot to have to ask, what does the zip lock bag do if you put your passport in a money belt?? tia

I take my passport with me but I use a shoe lace to thread through the hole on the zip of bag then tie the shoe lace around the handle of bag. The way no one can pull zip to get into bag. I first used this when in Barcelona due to pick pockets.
I find it's a way of still wearing your favourate bags on hoilday but yet a small detearrent.

Also I will put small change in my pocket for subway etc so not opening bag constantly.