MM Neverfull in Damier Ebene or Mono

phillj12

O.G.
Nov 28, 2008
I am looking for a 'workhorse' of a bag! I've been eyeing the Neverfull for a long time to carry my kids' stuff around with me (nothing heavy, just don't want to keep switching from a diaper bag to my real bags all the time).

I was initially going to get the Damier Ebene because I figured it wouldn't show any dirt and seemed relatively indestructible, etc. BUT, I've been reading all of these horror stories about the straps...peeling and cracking, oh my! I love the Mono, but am worried that I'll be paranoid about the vachetta getting trashed when I'm using it with my kids (at preschool, restaurants, gym class, etc) and I hate when the leather looks dirty (I just don't want to have to deal with a lot of 'upkeep'. Any thoughts??

I have the DE and have experienced the slight cracking, but other than that no problems. Please I don't think they're that noticeable. I considered getting the mono but I hate how the NF looks once it's aged so I opted for DE.

YES! Me too!

I have a gucci joy tote (very similar shape to NF) and the straps started cracking as well after about a year of use. The handles are lilac patent and I was pretty annoyed at the time, BUT, clearly this is an issue with skinny straps and I'll still pull it out in the spring again. I guess I could go with a different LV style, but I just *love* the NF in Damier Ebene!

My handles started to crack. Brought it into the store and they replaced the handles for free. Don't be afraid of these issues. They are rare and the majority are good.

i have the damier ebene mm too and mine just started cracking a few days ago (bought it in march of 2011). I brought it back to the store and they said they will change it free of charge..only thing is that it takes 4-6 weeks and im very impatient.

The glaze on my ebene NF GM straps cracked and had slight peeling too, but it's not noticeable to anyone else but me. I kinda got over it after a while, and I know that I can always have the straps replaced if they fail. It's actually a great bag, and it does not show wear. It's weatherproof too! I carried mine today as a matter of fact. And you said that the same thing happened with your Gucci Joy tote, so it must be an issue with thin straps. I agree. Don't be afraid to buy the NF in ebene. I love mine.

My handles started to crack. Brought it into the store and they replaced the handles for free. Don't be afraid of these issues. They are rare and the majority are good.

How long did you have yours at the time you had the straps replaced? Mine is 2 years old, so I don't think they'll replace my straps for free at this point.

How long did you have yours at the time you had the straps replaced? Mine is 2 years old, so I don't think they'll replace my straps for free at this point.

Only three months, and I didn't even use it immediately when I got it. Kept it in the dustbag for a month before I took her out. So technically, I only had it for two months. AND...I have other bags so I wasn't really using it everyday. If yours is two years old, I think that's really good. I would think that the cracking and peeling are a part of normal wear and tear.

I vote for the mono, she doesn't have much in the way of vachetta. I got mine in 2008 (before DE even came out) and I don't baby her at all, she still looks great and I have used her with my sons stuff in it as well. She has also been caught with me in a rain shower or two and not spots were left. If her vachetta starts to look a bit "dirty" I just baby wipe her and shes perfect again!

I also would like a NF in DE but because of that strap issues, I won't do it.