Method for shortening sleeves - Burberry Trench

I know this thread is old, but I was wondering how your sleeve shortening turned out? I just picked mine up today from South Coast plaza after being shortened and I feel that the upper arms are noticeably tighter! I was wearing a thick sweater today so I thought that was it, but when I came home and tried it on with a tank top, even my husband said it looked too tight. I called and they said to come back in, but I really hope they can let it out. I'd rather have the sleeves slightly long than have my arms restricted. Just curious how yours turned out. Thanks!!

If you needed the length to be shortened over 2.5 inches it will affect the circumference of the arm hole, if less then it shouldn’t be tighter!

If you needed the length to be shortened over 2.5 inches it will affect the circumference of the arm hole, if less then it shouldn’t be tighter!

Yes, u have to repair it form the bottom the sleeves.

Thanks! I don’t remember how much they shortened since the one I tried on was uneven (one sleeve was one inch longer than the other; the SA wasn’t sure why either), but I’m definitely going back to have it adjusted. I was originally debating between a size 2 or 4 but went with 4 for comfort, and now the 4 is too tight on the upper arms/deltoids. Thanks for your input!

Thanks! I don’t remember how much they shortened since the one I tried on was uneven (one sleeve was one inch longer than the other; the SA wasn’t sure why either), but I’m definitely going back to have it adjusted. I was originally debating between a size 2 or 4 but went with 4 for comfort, and now the 4 is too tight on the upper arms/deltoids. Thanks for your input!

Hi! I just bought a Kensington and I’m having the sleeves shortened. When the SA was measuring how much to shorten, I told her I want it shortened from the bottom and to move the loops because when they shorten from the top and take away material, it makes the upper arms really tight.

The SA told me they always shorten from the bottom unless the client specifically asks to shorten from the top due to the exact reason. I hope your SA didn’t ask that to be done by accident.

As FYI, I purchased the Kensington as the arms on the Sandringham were way too tight even with a T-shirt. The Sandringham looked nice and slim but worthless as a coat. The Kensington fit much better. Glad I tried both on.

Good luck!

Hi! I just bought a Kensington and I’m having the sleeves shortened. When the SA was measuring how much to shorten, I told her I want it shortened from the bottom and to move the loops because when they shorten from the top and take away material, it makes the upper arms really tight.

The SA told me they always shorten from the bottom unless the client specifically asks to shorten from the top due to the exact reason. I hope your SA didn’t ask that to be done by accident.

As FYI, I purchased the Kensington as the arms on the Sandringham were way too tight even with a T-shirt. The Sandringham looked nice and slim but worthless as a coat. The Kensington fit much better. Glad I tried both on.

Good luck!

Good thing you had a good SA! I bought the Sandringham and they didn’t give me an option. The tailor just shortened from the top. Funny thing is when I got measured, he measured from the bottom and rolled the sleeves to the right length. Guess he just used it as a guide to see how much to cut on top.

Anyway, I went back and the tailor says he’ll “let out the sleeves”, but in all honesty, I’m not too hopeful it’ll be enough but we’ll see. He was trying to tell me it makes no difference if he shortens from the top or not, but then I tried on an unaltered one and you can definitely tell the altered one was tight around the upper arms. It was so tight it was wrinkly!

Reactions: boys3mom
Good thing you had a good SA! I bought the Sandringham and they didn’t give me an option. The tailor just shortened from the top. Funny thing is when I got measured, he measured from the bottom and rolled the sleeves to the right length. Guess he just used it as a guide to see how much to cut on top.

Anyway, I went back and the tailor says he’ll “let out the sleeves”, but in all honesty, I’m not too hopeful it’ll be enough but we’ll see. He was trying to tell me it makes no difference if he shortens from the top or not, but then I tried on an unaltered one and you can definitely tell the altered one was tight around the upper arms. It was so tight it was wrinkly!

Maybe try on the Kensington? I have purchased the wrong size before, worn it, told them I wore it and I messed up with buying the wrong size. My fault. I said now I want to buy a bigger size and asked to hold the larger size for me so I could come in and purchase. The SA said to me don’t worry, things happen, bring in your item and we will refund and exchange it. Wow! I was impressed.

And yes, it does make a difference. The tailor was not correct. A sleeve is shaped like a rifle holder (only way I know how to describe it). A sleeve is not straight all the way down. If you take from the top, you lose the width at the top. That was a lesson I learned from experience with a bad tailor who did not want to reposition some sleeve fringe on a very expensive jacket. The tailor shortened from the top and now I rarely wear that jacket as the upper arm does not look good.

I hope your boutique can make things right. Ask about the Kensington for peace of mind. I went in to buy the Sandringham too but the SA had me try on both. By the way, I also went a size up. I must have spent a hour with the SA she was so nice and bringing me all the Heritage styles and sizes.

Good luck!

Same thing happened to me. Could you please share what happened next? Thank you!

Burberry usually always does it that way. This is their "normal" procedure. They don't do it any other way as to my knowledge. They should also offer this tailoring option for free at the store. Not all Burberry stores have an in house tailor, so they may tell you to travel to one that does.

Edit: Obviously it is a personal choice though, so they will do it any way you please.

Hello. When you refer to Burberry always doing it that way, do you mean from the top or the bottom of sleeves? Thanks!

Hello. When you refer to Burberry always doing it that way, do you mean from the top or the bottom of sleeves? Thanks!

I’ll respond since her post was over a year old and you may not get a response.

If you read her the post prior, you will see she is responding to the comment about shortening from the bottom which is the standard way to shorten.

Shortening from the top makes the upper arm circumference smaller and is usually only for sleeves that have a lot of ornamentation.

I’ll respond since her post was over a year old and you may not get a response.

If you read her the post prior, you will see she is responding to the comment about shortening from the bottom which is the standard way to shorten.

Shortening from the top makes the upper arm circumference smaller and is usually only for sleeves that have a lot of ornamentation.

Thank you!!

Same thing happened to me. Could you please share what happened next? Thank you!

So I went back to try on the trench coat that the tailor had “let out” and realized that it was a long Sandringham instead of the midlength that I had ordered. Not sure what happened but they lost my original coat and it was nowhere to be found in the store. They think someone possibly purchased mine with the shortened sleeves! Anyway, they ended up letting me have a new one so this time I asked to have it shortened from the ends of the sleeve instead. I was so tempted to not have it altered just to be done with the whole ordeal. I’ve had horrible customer service at the South Coast Plaza location. Every time I had an alteration, they said it would be done within a week and they’d call, but they never do (even after two weeks). I always have to call and follow up. Also, they said my newly altered coat would be completed and shipped to me last Tuesday but I’ve yet to receive any shipping info yet! I’m definitely not shopping there again!

Did they shorten yours from the shoulder as well and it was too tight? I hope they can let it out and it actually loosens! It’s too expensive of a jacket to not fit properly. [emoji17]

Maybe try on the Kensington? I have purchased the wrong size before, worn it, told them I wore it and I messed up with buying the wrong size. My fault. I said now I want to buy a bigger size and asked to hold the larger size for me so I could come in and purchase. The SA said to me don’t worry, things happen, bring in your item and we will refund and exchange it. Wow! I was impressed.

And yes, it does make a difference. The tailor was not correct. A sleeve is shaped like a rifle holder (only way I know how to describe it). A sleeve is not straight all the way down. If you take from the top, you lose the width at the top. That was a lesson I learned from experience with a bad tailor who did not want to reposition some sleeve fringe on a very expensive jacket. The tailor shortened from the top and now I rarely wear that jacket as the upper arm does not look good.

I hope your boutique can make things right. Ask about the Kensington for peace of mind. I went in to buy the Sandringham too but the SA had me try on both. By the way, I also went a size up. I must have spent a hour with the SA she was so nice and bringing me all the Heritage styles and sizes.

Good luck!

Wow you have an amazing SA! Glad it worked out for you! I don’t normally shop at the boutiques so I didn’t have a relationship with a certain SA. But I think my issue was mostly with the tailor. He was so defensive the whole time and kept insisting it was the same arm width, despite shortening from the top! I’m just glad I can be done with this whole ordeal soon. I was so tempted to take it to another Burberry to get it tailored. I thought they would have professional tailors but I guess they just employ regular tailors in the area. The tailor at South Coast Plaza even handed me his personal business card and asked me to go to him for other alterations. After this incident, no way!

So I went back to try on the trench coat that the tailor had “let out” and realized that it was a long Sandringham instead of the midlength that I had ordered. Not sure what happened but they lost my original coat and it was nowhere to be found in the store. They think someone possibly purchased mine with the shortened sleeves! Anyway, they ended up letting me have a new one so this time I asked to have it shortened from the ends of the sleeve instead. I was so tempted to not have it altered just to be done with the whole ordeal. I’ve had horrible customer service at the South Coast Plaza location. Every time I had an alteration, they said it would be done within a week and they’d call, but they never do (even after two weeks). I always have to call and follow up. Also, they said my newly altered coat would be completed and shipped to me last Tuesday but I’ve yet to receive any shipping info yet! I’m definitely not shopping there again!

Did they shorten yours from the shoulder as well and it was too tight? I hope they can let it out and it actually loosens! It’s too expensive of a jacket to not fit properly. [emoji17]

Yes, sounds like we've had a very similar experience! How incredibly disappointing these things can happen at the boutique. Would you mind if I asked how tall you are or how many inches were shortened? I think it has to do with that since the more that's brought up from the armholes, the more constricted and narrow the sleeves get. I was shocked I could barely move my arms anymore. Looked very awkward as well with the creasing from the extremely tight armholes.

Please let me know how your new alteration turns out. Hopefully you will not have the tiny holes at the sleeve that they warn about.
In my opinion though, better to risk tiny holes than have a coat that's not wearable with awkward tight arms. Either way, it's unfortunate we have to risk these issues especially at the boutique.
Good luck!

Yes, sounds like we've had a very similar experience! How incredibly disappointing these things can happen at the boutique. Would you mind if I asked how tall you are or how many inches were shortened? I think it has to do with that since the more that's brought up from the armholes, the more constricted and narrow the sleeves get. I was shocked I could barely move my arms anymore. Looked very awkward as well with the creasing from the extremely tight armholes.

Please let me know how your new alteration turns out. Hopefully you will not have the tiny holes at the sleeve that they warn about.
In my opinion though, better to risk tiny holes than have a coat that's not wearable with awkward tight arms. Either way, it's unfortunate we have to risk these issues especially at the boutique.
Good luck!

I’m 5’3”-5’4”. I’m not exactly sure how much they shortened but I’m thinking maybe an inch and a half?

The tiny holes wouldn’t bother me as much as the arm restriction, not to mention it’s not a flattering look. I think over time as you wear the coat, you won’t really notice the tiny holes. When I get my altered coat, I’ll try to upload a picture.

I’m 5’3”-5’4”. I’m not exactly sure how much they shortened but I’m thinking maybe an inch and a half?

The tiny holes wouldn’t bother me as much as the arm restriction, not to mention it’s not a flattering look. I think over time as you wear the coat, you won’t really notice the tiny holes. When I get my altered coat, I’ll try to upload a picture.
Hopefully you received your coat and alteration was done well. Any visible holes?