Metallic Lambskin Classic Jumbo Flap - will the metallic finish fade?

tequila29

O.G.
Sep 8, 2007
I saw a gorgeous light brown metallic lambskin flap today and am seriously considering buying it but hesitant because of the fading issue and it may not withstand everyday wear and tear.

Everyone says the metallic finish on the Reissues fades but has anyone had the same experience with the metallic lambskin Classic flaps?

Well, I think fading is an issue with any metallic, regardless of finish. I have several metallic reissues, and they've all held up amazingly well. I do have a matte gold lamb medium classic flap (several years old) and due to the smooth nature of the lambskin, scratches/fading, etc. show up much more easily than, say, on a crackled metallic finish bag. While the bag still looks great (I'm anal about my bags haha), there are several marks on the bag... fingernail scratches, etc. I think the corners are near perfect, because I never set my bag down on rough surfaces.

So, any of the smooth metallic lamb flaps are, IMO, more prone to fading/scratching than a textured metallic finish bag. If you love the bag though, buy it, but be mindful of the delicate nature of the bag. Bags are to enjoy, after all, right? :smile:

So, any of the smooth metallic lamb flaps are, IMO, more prone to fading/scratching than a textured metallic finish bag. If you love the bag though, buy it, but be mindful of the delicate nature of the bag. Bags are to enjoy, after all, right? :smile:

Thanks for your feedback. The SA did say that the bag - because it is lambskin- is prone to scratches. I'm certain if I use it as an every day bag, it will get battered in no time. I'll have to be able to live with all the scuff marks. For 3K, I'm going to think about it for a bit.

I love my metallic DS reissue! I purchased it pre-loved but it doesn't show any wear on the metallic! Although fading over time is expected with metallic bags...I believe that if you're careful the bag will still hold up for a quite some time! Let us know what you decide on!

I love my metallic DS reissue! I purchased it pre-loved but it doesn't show any wear on the metallic! Although fading over time is expected with metallic bags...I believe that if you're careful the bag will still hold up for a quite some time! Let us know what you decide on!

Well good to know. Thanks for your thoughts. Also, just wondering what happens to the bag if you get liquid on it. I know that if you get liquid on a caviar, for example, you can just wipe off.

But the metallic lambskin looks almost like fabric. Will the metallic particles absorb the liquid and stain?