• Messenger carrier

• Shoulder carrier

Results are only viewable after voting.

orinoco

Old school tPFer
O.G.
Jan 31, 2006
Hi All~~~!!!:yahoo:

I'm about to get a carrier for my pommie dearest:heart:... i was hoping for some opinions and advice? :flowers:

My requirements are that its black, low key (so i can sneak my lil guy into places; he's 4.5 pounds), airline approved, and has the option for my lil guy to pop his head out. :yes:

Now the question is, should i get it in the shoulderbag version, or the messenger bag?
:shrugs:

the shoulder bag is more chic, and would be easier to take on and off, but the messenger i assume would be more convenient since i would have my hands free, or would be able to carry my shoulder handbag too.
what so u think?

I have only used shoulder ones. They look more like purses (easier to sneak into places) When I used to carry my boy chi around I found that ones with thicker straps were more comfy. Now that I have 2 dogs I use a doggy stroller. It is great. When I want to sneak them in, I zip them in an throw a blanket over the top and people just assume it is a sleeping baby.

I have two Poms (although they're both slightly heavier than yours). They're compact so they look small but they're solid lil' buggers. Anyway, I've never used the messenger style because they aren't too many around and the ones I've seen (mostly Juicy ones) have open tops, which makes it very difficult to hide a dog. The one I have is Chanel-inspired (with the quilting pleather and the external pockets) from the Kwig-Bo line. I have the Alex but I like the Alexa (single large pocket versus two small pockets). The retail price is a little over $150 but they're quite popular with all small breeds and I've never seen anyone resell theirs. For a 4.5 lb dog, the weight shouldn't be too bad for your shoulders but I didn't carry much more in my bag aside from maybe a light-weight leash, some poop bags and my wallet (if that). My older dog is a compact 7.5 lb and occasionally, it's painful.

The Kwigy-Bo Alex claims to be airline approved. It comes in two sizes and I think the small one is too small to travel with, meaning it's a slightly tight fit. If I were to travel, I would consider the larger size, although I think that one is a bit big looking for being a "purse." The smaller size is so purse like that I've gotten many compliments on it and no one would even guess that my dog fit in there.

As for handsfree capabilities of the bag, the Alex stayed on my shoulders fine without be holding it in place. That said, I usually still held onto the strap with my arm for added stability (so my dog's not swinging back and forth).

Last edited:
thanks emma & beljwl! :flowers:

Question... When u do bring them out in the carrier, do u carry your handbag too? or do u just keep ur things in the carrier? what about when u travel?

TIA!!!

When I carry a carrier (haha), I never carried a purse or anything else. I figured that if I want to be incognito and seem dog-less, then it would look odd to carry two "purses." Plus, the bag and dog weight is probably close to 9 lbs or something for me and adding another purse to that is way too much pressure for my shoulders as I'm petite. That being said, if I were to fly with my dogs (which I haven't yet), I would carry a larger carrier and a separate purse because I'm not trying to hide my dogs then so there's no reason why I wouldn't carry an additional bag if I needed the storage. For travel, we have the largest Juicy carrier (the large rectangular boxy one). It's probably close to the size of a kennel.

For that reason, I would recommend the new Kwigy-bo Alexa because with the larger pocket, you can probably carry a flat clutch in the pocket or at least a clutch wallet. The Alex (which is older but that's the one I have) has two small pockets which definitely can't fit a clutch (probably just a small french wallet).