meeting ex president what do i call him

Last year, Bill ******* came to our town and I attended as part of my job. One of the people in our group asked what we should call him and some advisor who was there said "Mr. President."

I had to laugh when a lady behind me was introduced to him and she just gushed and giggled and said "Oh, BILL!" :rolleyes:

"Hey.......you." (Just kidding, don't really do that!)

When I met the Queen of England, we couldn't greet her until she greeted us first. And we had to greet her as "Your Highness" and curtsy.

Maybe someone will review the protocol before the president shows up.

Mr. President might be good once or twice, but repeatedly saying it would sound strange, IMO. If you're answering polite yes or no questions from him and you are saying, "Yes, Mr. President. No, Mr. President" That would be awkward. After saying it once or twice then switch to "sir."

The same question was asked in the Q&A section on the website for The Protocol School of Washington's Honor & Respect: The Official Guide to Names, Titles, and Forms of Address:

QUESTION-
Addressing A Former President
I will meet President ******* in a few weeks in person. I know they call former US Presidents "President *******." But what would I call him when I meet him or when I introduce others to him: e.g. "Mr. *******", or "President *******? Thanks for your help.
-- Politico, Clarendon Hills, IL

ANSWER-
Hi Politico:
Former Presidents are directly addressed as "Mr. (Name)", not as "President (name)", and they are identified as "the former President of the United States".
You will hear the media say "President *******." BUT in direct address it is not correct. "President *******" and "President Bush" are used on TV so the listener can be clear who is being discussed. But in direct address it's "Mr. President" for the current president, and "Mr. (surname)" for former presidents of the United States.
"The Honorable William Jefferson *******" .... is correct when you are using the FULL NAME in writing because once elected, officials are addresses as "The Honorable" for life. And that's the correct form for formal introduction -- like from a podium before his speech to the audience -- but you wouldn't address him that way in conversation.
-- Robert Hickey

The Protocol School of Washington is probably the most well respected protocol and etiquette school in the United States. The school's deputy director Robert Hickey is the author of the book Honor & Respect: The Official Guide to Names, Titles, and Forms of Address. Many people consider this book to be the bible of protocol/etiquette.

Even though most people think it sounds more respectful to directly address the former president as Mr. President, it's not correct. But no one is going to correct you if you call him Mr. President because 1. it would be rude to do so and 2. protocol training has become an anachronism. The vast majority of us don't receive protocol training anymore and no one truly expects us to follow it anymore. But there is a "rule" even if we choose not to follow it.

"Hey.......you." (Just kidding, don't really do that!)

When I met the Queen of England, we couldn't greet her until she greeted us first. And we had to greet her as "Your Highness" and curtsy.

Maybe someone will review the protocol before the president shows up.

At least you didnt need to call her "Your Royal Highness, the Duchess of Birmingshire, Page Irving Crow Harrington."
:roflmfao:

Have fun at the event and remember to take a picture ;)

This reminds me of that scene in Love Actually where Natalie meets the Prime Minister and calls him David, then says sh!t, then finishes it off with f*ck. Too funny.

I think Mr. President is appropriate. Or maybe Georgie? (just kidding)