Medium PS1 vs Bal Town

momo721

O.G.
Nov 13, 2011
I'm looking for a new crossbody bag for this spring/summer. I've decided on either a medium Proenza Schouler PS1 or a Balenciaga town. Was hoping any TPFers could weigh in and help me make a decision. I think these bags are about the same size. I just need it to carry normal day-to-day things plus ipad. Any other suggestions are appreciated! TIA!

While I don't have either of these bags, I've tried them both on. The PS1 won't fit cross-body unless you are very short and small. I also thought that the flap/clasp would drive me crazy, which is a shame because I love the look of the bag! The strap on the Bal Town was almost too long (I'm 5'6). I'm looking forward to hearing others' thoughts!

While I don't have either of these bags, I've tried them both on. The PS1 won't fit cross-body unless you are very short and small. I also thought that the flap/clasp would drive me crazy, which is a shame because I love the look of the bag! The strap on the Bal Town was almost too long (I'm 5'6). I'm looking forward to hearing others' thoughts!

That's unfortunate to hear. I'm 5'1, and find the strap on the Velo too long - to the point where the bag itself is too low on my rear. I'm sad to see I'd probably have the same problem with the Town :tdown:

I have a couple of medium PS1's and I used to own a town so here are my views ;)

The medium PS1 holds more than the town and is slightly bigger in appearance. The compartments in the PS1 make it really practical. An iPad would fit lovely in one of the compartments.

I can wear the PS1 cross body no problem - I am 5 ft 4" but it does sit hip level which won't be low enough for some girls.

The town has an adjustable strap now but I understand it still hangs very low -even on the shortest setting.

Of the two, I would opt for the PS1 without a doubt. The PS leather and craftsmanship is superior to the balenciaga in my opinion. But I know many die hard b-bag fans will disagree :Push:

Thank you so much for the replies! I'm leaning towards the PS1. Now I have to pick a color. I do like their neutral colors, smoke and midnight especially. But I am really tempted by the new orchid color. It's beautiful. Reminds me of amethyst Bal from several years ago that I missed out on. Any thoughts?

I've had both and I'd go for the PS1 medium. Although depending on your height/weight you may not be able to wear it crossbody. I'm 5'3'' plus size so I can't wear ti crossbody but if I was average size I'd be able to with out a doubt. The town sits on a decent spot for me but if I was thiner it would sit way too low crossbody. When it comes to the size the PS1 wins without a doubt the town is pretty small I always felt like I was going to make it burst with what I put in it and I don't carry a lot of stuff. My citys are usually half empty when I were them so that can give you a idea of how much I carry. Also all the pockets in the PS really helps you pack stuff into the PS1 with out it looking bulky. The ipad will easily fit into the PS1 don't even try to fit it in a town it will NOT happen.

ITA with Balchlfen about both the quality of the leather of PS being better than Bals and the quality of the bag itself. It's very disapointing to see a new bag show major wear after a short amount of wear(i'm looking at you bal). But I will note that PS's S/S 2012 leather seems to be much thinner than the previous years I have a 10 & 11 and I bought a 12 but returned it. It also seemed a bit glossier than the previous years. That being said I'd still go for PS over Bal. Color wise if you are looking to wear your bag crossbody you may want to consider a darker color over a lighter one to prevent color transfer esp. if you wear dark denim.

I would go for the Balenciaga for a two reasons. The Balenciaga has a classic design that has stood the test of time (while the PS1 has not been around as long); I know that the Balenciaga will still be in style for years to come, but I can't say the same for the PS1. As well, the PS1 fasteners may come undone as they are just screwed in (and the handle or strap may break off when you're wearing it).