Mauboussin Ring Dilemma

GoldTopaz

Nov 8, 2017
Hi everyone,
I hope you're all keeping well.
I have a jewellery decision to make! I've bought a couple of Victorian and Edwardian pieces recently. My tastes have evolved over the years and I now like extremely well made antique and 1970s signed jewellery.

I have to sell something to make up for spending so much recently and the only thing I can bear to part with is a Mauboussin Etoile Divine ring. I bought it second hand a few years ago and have just had an offer on it. I would lose £100 but if I keep it, I'll have to pay for rhodium baths throughout its lifetime anyway.

It looks amazing on me, bold and glittering. On the other hand it's a bit vulgar and crudely made compared to my other pieces, and I don't wear it that often. I also worry about its durability and how it will keep its value. It's already covered in small scratches, not sure if a rhodium bath would sort that out. And the edges look a bit unfinished...But the overall effect is still lovely on me. I have about 15 other rings but none in that style.

Mauboussin used to be amazing in the Art Deco era but now has 25% sales on its website and I'm not sure about its quality. Will the ring still look good 5 years from now? Will it be worthless by then? I like my jewellery to keep its value, that's the only way I can justify spending so much on it...

What do you all think? Keep or sell?

You’ve answered your own question: if you think the ring looks vulgar, crude and poorly made, why keep it? Who knows if any item will look good in 5 years? Depends on how you use and abuse it.
Good luck in your decision!

Reactions: papertiger
Thanks you, JolieS! It just looks very flattering when I wear it, which makes me want to overlook its other shortcomings...

If you love the way it looks but not the actual ring perhaps remember that style but don't keep the ring.

However, if you're just looking for the cash, make sure you're not just talking yourself into the sale by being hypercritical of the ring. Always tempting when a good offer is on the table.

Jewellery is not only a commodity and is meant to be worn. If it looks great on you, then this is a piece to put on and enjoy, it will also enabling you to keep some of your more precious antique/vintage pieces more pristine.

BTW, unless never worn most jewellery needs the cost of upkeep. Try to factor that into the cost of your wardrobe management and not lump it with appraisal value.

Thanks, Consumer2much. This is a case in which I just can't decide! It's not feasible for me to keep buying jewellery so I have to sell something...

Papertiger, what excellent and well thought out advice, thank you. I've almost made a decision now!

Thanks, Consumer2much. This is a case in which I just can't decide! It's not feasible for me to keep buying jewellery so I have to sell something...

Papertiger, what excellent and well thought out advice, thank you. I've almost made a decision now!