Matted Cat

hollywoodbadgrl

PURSE WH@R3
O.G.
May 12, 2010
I have a tabby cat with really long hair I think he is even possibly Maine Coone. He has really soft but long hair I try to brush him but, he mats very easily. His chest has become pretty matted down to the skin. I am trying to figure out what to do. I don't want to really have him put under to have him shaved because I am afraid he might not come out of it. Should I try to cut some more fur out and shave him myself or should I take him to the groomers?

OOooooohhhhhh a lion king cut!!!!!!! Yessssssssss!!!!!!!

Take him to the groomers :yes:

Check/ask around for referrals for a good cat groomer. If you already have a vet you trust that might be a good place to start.
All my cats but one are short hairs so I don't have any grooming experience, but does the cat really need to be totally put under?

I would take him to the groomer. The first time I took our long haired cat he had a couple really big mats but did just fine and wasn't put under. Now I get him shaved about twice a year because he doesn't take care of himself as well with longer hair. He gets a lion cut and we always say he he is wearing his "russian boots" when he gets shaved because they don't shave all the way down his legs. :biggrin:

find a groomer - he shoudln't have to be put under for that.

my mom has told me "don't you ever ever EVER take a scissors to your cats' hair!" because you can injury them easily cause you don't know how close to the skin you are (sometimes i do it anyways - but i'm REALLY careful!).

i have a maine coone and he mats easily as well... i just brush and brush and brush until those darn mats come out! he doesn't seem to mind it.

my mom has told me "don't you ever ever EVER take a scissors to your cats' hair!" because you can injury them easily cause you don't know how close to the skin you are (sometimes i do it anyways - but i'm REALLY careful!).
Very true. I've had to take scissors to trim SEVERE mats from a bunny but I've had experience doing stuff like that, even with my experience it's still a nail biting experience. I also had volunteers to help hold the bunny, with cats, it's a different story.

I agree with all the posters -- take your kitty to a groomer.
If you do not have experience grooming a cat, don't go anywhere near him/her with scissors. Cat skin is very 'slippery' and there is a lot of room between the layers, so it's really easy to cut your kitty. It's also really easy to cut him/her a lot deeper than you think and not even know it.

I hope everyone posts photos! I want to see Lion Cut kitties!!!!! For now some Google images to hold us over...

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 9,118
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 6,323
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 3,575
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 3,288
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 4,993
LOL... oh the lion cuts are tooo cute and funny!!

I hadn't had any experience with long hairs before my DH and I adopted ours. When she developed mats, I took her to the vet. The vet shaved the mats off and gave me some pointers. (She has long hairs too, and she trims hers twice a year.) She didn't need to give her anesthesia. Now whenever I pet her, I check her for mats. She can usually take care of the part that's close to her skin, so I just trim the tips off the mats. She'll even lay on her back and let me trim the mats that are bothering her. It's been several years since she had to have a shave; so far, so good.

My DH's cousin is a vet tech, and she gives her cat the lion cut. She does it twice a year where she works, and they anesthetize him. He looks adorable after his haircut :P

I tried to get some pics of Diablo last night but he wouldn't stop moving so this was the best I got!
2011-05-17_18-51-45_615.jpg

2011-05-17_18-51-32_781.jpg

2011-05-17_18-50-28_344.jpg