Matt Lauer, Wife Welcome A Boy

Jan 23, 2006
TUESDAY NOVEMBER 28, By KC Baker and Tim Nudd
matt_lauer.jpg

Matt Lauer and wife Annette welcomed their third child, a son named Thijs, on Tuesday.

"The baby was born this morning at 9:37 a.m. in New York City. He weighed 7 lbs., 4 oz.," Today spokesperson Megan Kopf tells PEOPLE. "Mom, Dad and baby are all doing well."

The baby's unusual name (pronounced "Tice") is a common Dutch name. "Annette is Dutch and in following with her heritage, the baby was given a Dutch name," says a source.

This is the third child for the Today anchor, 48, and his wife, 41. Thijs joins brother Jack, 5, and sister Romy, 3.

Lester Holt filled in for Lauer on the NBC morning show on Tuesday.

Lauer revealed that he and Annette were expecting in August in an interview with the Sunday New York Times magazine.

"I was on Today for five years before I had children," he said in the interview. "And back then the job took up a larger slice of the pie graph of my life than was healthy. When I had kids, that immediately changed. It flipped."

I thought she had filed for divorce even though they were expecting? Anyone else hear this? If it is true, very sad. I have always liked Matt Lauer.

matt_lauer.jpg

Matt Lauer and wife Annette welcomed their third child, a son named Thijs, on Tuesday.

"The baby was born this morning at 9:37 a.m. in New York City. He weighed 7 lbs., 4 oz.," Today spokesperson Megan Kopf tells PEOPLE. "Mom, Dad and baby are all doing well."

The baby's unusual name (pronounced "Tice") is a common Dutch name. "Annette is Dutch and in following with her heritage, the baby was given a Dutch name," says a source.

This is the third child for the Today anchor, 48, and his wife, 41. Thijs joins brother Jack, 5, and sister Romy, 3.

Lester Holt filled in for Lauer on the NBC morning show on Tuesday.

Lauer revealed that he and Annette were expecting in August in an interview with the Sunday New York Times magazine.

"I was on Today for five years before I had children," he said in the interview. "And back then the job took up a larger slice of the pie graph of my life than was healthy. When I had kids, that immediately changed. It flipped."[/quote]