Workplace Math test in interview?

athena21

Aug 8, 2011
I have an interview this week that I'm really excited about - it's the first one I've gotten to the point of an interview for an out-of-state job, it pays really well, and I think it's work I would enjoy.

Before the interview, the HR rep sent me a ton of instructions including an informational booklet on the company that I'm expected to send a 1-2 page summary of. I'm not worried about the reading/writing, but there's also a math assessment at some point during the interview, and I have no clue what kind of math to expect.

Has anyone ever had a math or other assessment like that during the interview process? How did it go, and what type of stuff did they put on there? Was it specific to the job? The job I'd be doing doesn't require direct math, but it's a scholastic type company so I think they want to make sure everyone meets minimum requirements.

I guess I'm just going to brush up on algebra - I did well in math in school, but I always had a calculator and I know I wouldn't be allowed that so I'm worried about time restraints. I wouldn't want one stupid math test to screw me up over a good job.

I worked in HR at a company that required a math assessment for some positions. We used a standardized workplace test we purchased. Our test didn't have algebra just basic math problems (addition, subtraction, %, etc) and word problems. It was a mix of multiple choice and fill in the blank and could be completed within 30 min with pen and paper.

I worked HR at my last company and we gave a short math test just to gauge your skills with a time constraint. It was simple adding, subtracting, fractions, etc. It was 10 questions and we gave 10 minutes and you couldn't use a calculator. We didn't tell the candidates they would be taking it so I mostly got surprised looks because people thought they would do bad. Most people generally did well though so I wouldn't stress about it.

mine had math but it was not just basics, also had scenarios that dealt with percentage and returns, compounded interest, so forth.

its not that bad

i don't really need to do with with my job and they have calculators tailored to different projects/investments so i really don't need to do it but having the fundamental understanding of, helps i think

Hi there,

ive had several interviews in which a math assessment was involved. To give you context, these were for hedge fund / PE positions. The more structured ones were web-based and appeared to be testing logic / thought process. You should be good to go with an understanding of algebra and basic statistics.

The most intense interview involving math (which i offer as a humorous / ridiculous anecdote), which hopefully represents the upper bound (and most unlikely) of possibilities went as follows:
- arrived 5 min early for my interview in fancy NYC hotel bar
- hostess brought me to reserved table
- interviewer arrives and spends the next 10 minutes sternly lecturing the hostess and the manager that the table he reserved and always reserves (the one in the corner, not the one in which i was seated) is his table, then occupied by a different party.
- very uncomfortable at this point, i proceed with small talk and then we get into "walk me through your resume"
- he stops me at one point and says "that's completely irrelevant... why are you boring me with that?"
- i begin to respond and he stops me mid-sentence and asks "what is the product of #.### and #.### (yes, 3 decimal places)?"
- i take a couple seconds to think, and give the answer rounded to the tenths place and he goes "what is the EXACT answer? Why would you not be precise?
- the interview took a downward turn after that and was concluded with me being called an arrogant American.

Needless to say, I didnt get the job. Anyways, good luck to you. I'm sure you will kill it!

Hi there,

ive had several interviews in which a math assessment was involved. To give you context, these were for hedge fund / PE positions. The more structured ones were web-based and appeared to be testing logic / thought process. You should be good to go with an understanding of algebra and basic statistics.

The most intense interview involving math (which i offer as a humorous / ridiculous anecdote), which hopefully represents the upper bound (and most unlikely) of possibilities went as follows:
- arrived 5 min early for my interview in fancy NYC hotel bar
- hostess brought me to reserved table
- interviewer arrives and spends the next 10 minutes sternly lecturing the hostess and the manager that the table he reserved and always reserves (the one in the corner, not the one in which i was seated) is his table, then occupied by a different party.
- very uncomfortable at this point, i proceed with small talk and then we get into "walk me through your resume"
- he stops me at one point and says "that's completely irrelevant... why are you boring me with that?"
- i begin to respond and he stops me mid-sentence and asks "what is the product of #.### and #.### (yes, 3 decimal places)?"
- i take a couple seconds to think, and give the answer rounded to the tenths place and he goes "what is the EXACT answer? Why would you not be precise?
- the interview took a downward turn after that and was concluded with me being called an arrogant American.

Needless to say, I didnt get the job. Anyways, good luck to you. I'm sure you will kill it!
That's shocking! You definitely dodged a bullet there, can't imagine who'd want to work for that man!