Matelasse bag - total miss?

Balenciaga Matelasse bags?

• A total miss. Balenciaga should leave the Chanel-look alone.

• A total hit

• unsure.....

Results are only viewable after voting.
I've always liked them, but I've never bought one. I have several quilted Chanels, so I never saw the need to have the Matelesse, too. I do prefer the more classic moto bags. I wouldn't call it a miss, but not a hit either. I voted unsure.

I have Chanel bags, and they are, to me, totally different than the matelasse, which I also really like. I also see the matelasse as a different category than the motorcycle bags. I have a vert gazon that I love, but I can see they aren't for everyone.

the matelasse is a WONDERFUL bag! soft and beautifully crafted. a hip version of chanel, IMO. I had a black medium and only sold it off because I'm a messenger bag girl (love to have my hands free!). But I completely love the style. It's especially great as now as they aren't made any more, they will be a very "under the radar" kind of bag in a few years. Very chic!

I debated the matelasse clutch, but I ended up just getting a chanel one. I didn't like the look mixed with the motorcycle hardware. If the hardware was different, maybe I'd have different feelings.

I think they are cute if you can pull it off..
Its something I won't buy unless I have felt it and seen how it looks with me wearing it... needless to say.. that won't happen until i fly out of oregon.. LOL

Last edited:
Not a total hit, not a total miss ... somewhere in between. I think they are gorgeous but I REALLY WANT a shoulder strap!!!! I put my blue india shoulder part time shoulder strap on my aqua matelasse and it sorta works (attaching to the handle hardware).

Yeah, I've always wondered why they're always one Bluefly too! Doesn't make them "bad" or undesirable, but they're just not for me. I might think differently if I saw one IRL though?

Let me rephrase my opinion...

I like the luxurious quilting, I love how it's folded leather instead of simply puff and stitch, but I don't like it on
a) the boxy style bags and
b) with the motorcycle details.

I'd like it with no hardware on big bags such as a tote or a bucket style.
Much better this way, yes?

I voted "unsure" but I do actually really like the look of these bags. The only reason I've never been tempted is because they're only hand-held and that just doesn't work for me. Ever one that I've seen IRL has been gorgeous looking and I'm always a tinge envious.

Balihai -- someone was carrying a black one at Barney's last weekend in the shoe department...you must have missed it! It was really nice and smooshy looking.