mam - new from rm sale or older styles from ebay? leather quality?

ms_j

O.G.
Jul 26, 2013
Hello lovely ladies:smile:

as per topic title I have my eye on a few from older seasons on ebay but there are a few colours in the sale section of the rm site atm (my budget is $250). I was wondering of anyone knows how the leather is for current mams ? has it degraded like some of the mac bags? would I be better off buying an older style from ebay given some of the horrible dry leathers that are out? I'm in Australia so online is the only way I can purchase.

I'm currently using a black tri zip mac, the leather is smooth and soft but looks like pleather and feels cheap; I like it and use it because the design is super functional and the cheapness of the leather makes it more lightweight but if I'm buying a more simple design like the mam I'd prefer the leather to be the focus as it won't have cute detailing like the mac to distract from the pleatherness

tia :smile:

i'd suggest you look for the bags made of older leather (before 2010) but in new or pristine condition. the bags produced after 2012 are really hit or miss. having said that, i'd encourage you to do some research on the leather before purchase if the quality of the leather is your major concern. just my opinion. ;)

I love good leathers and so I prefer older MAM releases than the current ones. I've been an RM fan for about a year, and if I would be asked to 'purge' my collection (I do have a lot!) I will first let go of the newer releases first. Btw, I think I have more older MAMs/MABs (pre-2010) than post 2010.

Of course you will have to look for ones in good condition. Recently, I was able to buy several older pieces in great condition! So they do exist, but you may have to really be patient.

While older MAMs are definitely better leather, they are heavier as a result. I don't know that I would bother buying a newer MAM because I'm such a leather snob but the weight of the older bags (and my tendency to stuff my bag) can be a bit much sometimes. So the real questions are...how much do you put in your bag and do you carry it around on foot or do you drive?

If you decide to buy preloved, I'd suggest you try to buy from someone who has a history selling these bags and who gives a lot of detail and photos. I've had a couple of problems buying from sellers who primarily sell small items.
In addition to Ebay, there is Bonanza.

^Thanks for your opinion ladies:smile:
I had a feeling this may be the case; will have to decide on which one on ebay
how would I date the bag though as I have only gotten in rm in the past year, maybe by colour and check this forum for posts about that colour ? Does she re release the same colours?
@pre10d I am a little adverse to heavy bags but hoping the style itself is not that heavy so 'heavier' won't be too bad, I am using my regular size mac without any problems but can't fit a cardi in there or my sunnies case (currently using a soft case but that doesnt protect them from from being sat on!) which I would like to do with the mac

how would I date the bag though as I have only gotten in rm in the past year, maybe by colour and check this forum for posts about that colour ? Does she re release the same colours?
@pre10d I am a little adverse to heavy bags but hoping the style itself is not that heavy so 'heavier' won't be too bad, I am using my regular size mac without any problems but can't fit a cardi in there or my sunnies case (currently using a soft case but that doesnt protect them from from being sat on!) which I would like to do with the mac

Generally, you can date an RM bag through its lining. I have ideas in my head about which lining for which period, but I'm not very sure about them so I'd rather not mention them. If i'm not mistaken, there are old threads about linings too which you could use as reference.

Last edited:
lining and the hardware design indicate the production year. those produced in or before 2010 are:

hardware:
  • signature hardware (thick with RM engraved on the zipper pulls and metal feet)
  • thick hardware with RebeccaMinkoff engraved on the sides of the zipper pulls)
  • square rings for MAB/ MAM
  • dome-shaped metal feet
  • hexagon metal feet with RM engraved on them

tassel:
  • no tassel
  • long-finished
  • short-finished

lining (the more common ones):
  • b/w floral (except those made in NYC bags but their quality is also v good)
  • fleur de lis
  • blue/ cream strip
  • paisley
  • mosiac
  • pecky bird
  • grey/ white strip
  • b/w dash

those produced after 2010 are:

tassel:
long-unfinished

lining:
  • x kiss (F/W 2011)
  • brown cheetah (S/S 2012)
  • blue/ black polka dot (with leather brand tag inside) (F/W 2012)
  • b/w abstract (S/S 2013)
  • blue cheetah (F/W 2013)
  • b/w geo (S/S 2014)
  • b/w tweed (the latest)

hope this helps.

Last edited:
hi ladies im eyeing this mini mac electric blue in ebay, the lining blue cheetah (i think). for $145, is it a good bargain? i guess its from f/w 2013... or should i buy the mini mac in bright blue for $195 straight from their website. thanks for the advice

ok, so ive taken the plunge & bought my mam with blue & cream stripey lining and it seems lovely but didn't come with a strap?? is this normal ? I know the very old ones don't but this one has a ring in the front & back which seems to be for the strap?? I'm going to msg the seller but thought I'll ask here first so I am more cluey :smile:
tia

ok, so ive taken the plunge & bought my mam with blue & cream stripey lining and it seems lovely but didn't come with a strap?? is this normal ? I know the very old ones don't but this one has a ring in the front & back which seems to be for the strap?? I'm going to msg the seller but thought I'll ask here first so I am more cluey :smile:
tia
Yes, older ones didn't come with the straps. The rings have always been there regardless if without strap. I have a lot of RMs with that lining and they didn't have the strap. From what I've read in this RM forum, a long time ago straps were just an option and could be ordered separately. Not sure what year they started releasing the straps regularly with the bags.

^thx so much for clearing that up!
I find it a bit odd with the rings there and no strap but meh,
as long as it's not missing a component I'm cool with it:smile:
it actually fits over my arm anyways but I find I've been carrying bags on the crook of my arm recently anyway

^thx so much for clearing that up!
I find it a bit odd with the rings there and no strap but meh,
as long as it's not missing a component I'm cool with it:smile:
it actually fits over my arm anyways but I find I've been carrying bags on the crook of my arm recently anyway
I'm fine with no straps too as I usually carry it satchel style in my hand or arm.

Have you received your bag? Please post pics when you do. :smile:

tia
at that time, people needed to order the shoulder straps on RM website. i don't use shoulder straps for 'fat' bags like MAB/MAM. some handles (esp MAB) are long enough to carry it on your shoulder under your arm. as for the rings, i usually hook my Juicy Couture charms or something to one of them. ;) enjoy your bag! :graucho: