MAM for plus size gals?

GreenBird

NEVER 2 OLD 4 TOKI
O.G.
May 12, 2007
Hi,

I've been on tpf for over a year but solely posted on the Tokidoki forum. I've been totally absorbed into Tokidoki for about a year and a half but am starting to sell off my collection. I've never really been into quality purses at all but have decided to get a nice leather purse. I think that Rebecca Minkoff might be brand I am going to purchase. I love that fact that the purses are made in the USA and it is even cooler that she occasionally participates in this forum. I am really attracted to the MAM. But my question is how it will fit on the arm of someone with a - ummmmmm - larger than average arm!!!! I am a size 18 and don't want to invest in a purse that I can not wear on my shoulder. I understand that the strap drop is 6" but I can't really tell anything from that. I have looked at many photos of people modeling them and not a single person looks as large as I am. So, is there anyone out there that is around a size 18 that has a MAM bag? And if so, would you be willing to take a photo of how it looks on the shoulder?

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone might have.

I can tell you that even on the smaller girls the MAM doesn't necessarily fit comfortably on the shoulder. I think it's, for the most part, hand-held or in the crook of your arm, IMHO. If that doesn't make it a deal-breaker for you, I think it would look good regardless of yor size. I don't look at it as a small bag myself.

Looking for modeling pics is tough. I just went through that! You have to look through several threads - just set aside an hour or so! :smile:

I can tell you that even on the smaller girls the MAM doesn't necessarily fit comfortably on the shoulder. I think it's, for the most part, hand-held or in the crook of your arm, IMHO. If that doesn't make it a deal-breaker for you, I think it would look good regardless of yor size. I don't look at it as a small bag myself.

It wouldn't be a deal breaker if I got a hobo strap. I've noticed that on Rebecca's site the straps are in limited colors. So that really limits my color choice. I really do want a purse I can sling on my shoulder since I have three kids and who knows what I might be carrying at any given time. I need hands free.

I thought I read somewhere that if a bag was currently available in a certain color, then you could get a strap in that color. I can be wrong, though, so we'll need someone else to chime in here.

And I totally hear you on the 3 kids thing. I have 3 myself, and I always seem to be carrying too much to handle a bag in my hand, too. (Sheesh, one squirmy toddler needs more than the 2 hands I have!) I have to be able to put a bag on my shoulder.

Just went to the RM site and hobo straps are available in 15 different colors. But the MAM is only available in 8 flavors. Looks like you'll be safe if you choose this season's colors. However I would contact RM once you've decided on a color.

Also the MAM is in Dark Brown but the hobo strap is in Brown. Not sure if that's a typo or a potential issue of colors from different seasons.

I love the idea of a hobo strap! :tup: Wish I could have gotten on in Jade. Good luck!

I have decided to get a MAM with a hobo strap. Now my hunt to find one and which color? I hope this doesn't lead into total obsession like my Toki did - yikes!! I've actually never seen her bags in person but they look just gorgeous in all the photos I've viewed.

They are gorgeous and I would say get the hobo strap. Luna boston has a lot of new colors and if you like parrots there is a gorgeous green mam and magenta mam on their site, don't forget to tell us what you get!!!

Hey Greenbird...why don't you kick it up a notch & get the MAB (FYI..Morning After Bag) instead of the MAM :confused1: It's the same bag shape as the MAM but it's larger. I don't think the price difference is too much ($50 I believe) & it's a larger bag that will allow you to carry more stuff, especially since you have 3 kids...I am sure there's plenty to carry around.

I have the MAB & I :heart: it! It fits great on my shoulder too & it can be hand held. I am not your size but here's a couple of modeling pictures to give you an idea of how it sits on the shoulder. Please keep in mind it's really not a shoulder bag but it works well on me if I need it there but the strap can slip from time to time. I do not think the MAM would rest as comfortably on my shoulder since it's smaller than the MAB.

HTH :tup: & welcome to RM...get ready for a real JOY ride :yahoo:

Attachments

• MAB-1.gif
    MAB-1.gif
    81.7 KB · Views: 42
  • PICT0014.gif
    PICT0014.gif
    84.6 KB · Views: 60
You also might want to consider the steady. It comes with both the shoulder strap and handles, plus it is very easy to get in and out of with the magnetic top. Here is a pic of me with my Steady. I'm a 16 for reference.:smile:

Attachments

• steady cross 016.JPG
    steady cross 016.JPG
    133.1 KB · Views: 70
  • steady modeling pics and charms 024.JPG
    steady modeling pics and charms 024.JPG
    158.3 KB · Views: 106
ITA w/ tatertot, the Steady's a great option (and there are lots of them on sale now!)...another great choice is the MAM or MAB with a (longer than the hobo) Elisha strap (I am always pushing this combo because I run around all day like a decapitated chicken and need to through my bag across my body/over my shoulder comfortably).

Lovely pics, tater! You are so pretty!

And a warm welcome to RMLand, GreenBird -- you are going to :heart: it here (IMHO, hee hee)...

You also might want to consider the steady. It comes with both the shoulder strap and handles, plus it is very easy to get in and out of with the magnetic top. Here is a pic of me with my Steady. I'm a 16 for reference.:smile:

I agree with the steady idea. I just got a mam and it fits on my shoulder but I am pretty small and have very skinny arms. I also just got a steady and my daughters, 16 and 18 loved it on me. Also the shoulder strap is a great option.

ACL - your photos are lovely - is that the white BW is just to die for!!! I should not outrule the MAB as it really doesn't look that huge.
Tatertot the steady looks great on you - I absolutely love the two tone effect on that bag and that is a bag that I really should consider as well.
I was at the Bloomingdales site last night and the sparkly steady (sorry can't remember the name) was on sale for 40%. I had it in my cart and as much as I drooled over that bag it just wouldn't be practical as I want a more neutral bag to start with.

Thanks for the sweet compliment Loquita and GreenBird.:shame:

Sounds like you had a Steady in the Sterling in your cart:nuts:. Boy, I would love to get my hands on one of those for 40% off! There is a Steady thread with modeling pics and littlerock posted pics of her Sterling Steady and it is gorgeous!

Either way keep us updated on what you decide.:yes:

Thanks for the sweet compliment Loquita and GreenBird.:shame:

Sounds like you had a Steady in the Sterling in your cart:nuts:. Boy, I would love to get my hands on one of those for 40% off! There is a Steady thread with modeling pics and littlerock posted pics of her Sterling Steady and it is gorgeous!

Either way keep us updated on what you decide.:yes:

Yep - thats what it was and I went to the site again this morning and it was still in my bag at 40% off. But it was not on sale on the search page. Strange - I must have gone to the site at perfect timing when the sale was going on. I've seen that thread and the bag is indeed beautiful but I'm not sure how practical it would be for me since it looks like a fancy leather and I'm into more casual looks.

ACL - your photos are lovely - is that the white BW is just to die for!!! I should not outrule the MAB as it really doesn't look that huge.
Tatertot the steady looks great on you - I absolutely love the two tone effect on that bag and that is a bag that I really should consider as well.
I was at the Bloomingdales site last night and the sparkly steady (sorry can't remember the name) was on sale for 40%. I had it in my cart and as much as I drooled over that bag it just wouldn't be practical as I want a more neutral bag to start with.

Awww! Thanks Greenbird :tup: My MAB is the White & Brown Basketweave...it's a sharp bag & I was so lucky to score it at the Sample Sale RM had in LA in early June!!! I was very pleased to see the bag was still available since I did not arrive until 2 hours before it was set to end. I can only imagine what wonderful bags she had for those who were 1st through the door!

Also, I had the Sterling Steady (it's a Gold crackle type color that I believe you saw on Bloomies) & I thought it was a bit to bright for me. It really reminded me of cracked foil in a very light, light gold. It was not practical for me so I exchanged it for the Steady - Dusty. Please be aware the Dusty color is pretty delicate & very, very soft! It's a great bag, but you will need to take good care of it so it doesn't stain..you may have to spray it with some type of leather protectant & still handle it with care. I :heart: my Steady - Dusty but I just thought I would share this with you...HTH :yes: