Makeup counter interview and what to wear?

hyper_ballad

Oct 7, 2006
Hi everyone :smile:
My name is Avalon. I was recently/am in the process of being hired for the Christian Dior cosmetic counter in Macy's. It's a little crazy- they put you through multiple interviews with different people before they finally give you your makeup training, etc. So, I have one more official interview with the Christian Dior rep before I'm actually hired. I really want (and need) this job and am wondering what I should wear to this final interview. I've spoken to the rep on the phone and she even has a high fashion-y English accent, haha- so needless to say, I'm a little intimidated. Definitely a skirt instead of nice pants or does it matter? What kind of top? And more importantly, what kind of makeup? I'm a bit punky with my makeup and tend to do eyeliner and bright-colored shadows (mostly MAC and Urban Decay) leaving everything else kind of neutral. I don't have a ton of super-dressy tops, I wear a lot of pretty graphic fitted tops from Urban Outfitters, mostly blacks and greys. AaA help me! I'm sort of wardrobe-challenged :sad:

Thanks guys!

I would probably wear something that is stylish but still conservative, it is a job interview and you want to appear professional and serious. You can't go wrong with a black skirt or black pants and a nice top, maybe in black or grey or a subtle print? I would NOT wear any crazy makeup, punky makeup does not look professional. It might be okay if you are interviewing for MAC or one of those other lines with bright makeup, but CD is more like Estee Lauder or Lancome or YSL, their usual customer is a little older and wears more subtle makeup. I would probably just wear base, blush, black or brown eyeliner and mascara, and lipstick.

My thought is .. go minimalist. The black skirt and a black or dark gray top, not too revealing. Or black pants -- just make sure they're long enough. Wear good shoes, polished with heels in good shape. Do your nails.
They've seen your make-up ..so it must have been ok. Maybe tone it down a little.
Good luck!

I have actually worked for both Christian Dior as well as Prescriptives. I can tell you that you're going to want to "dress and look the part". Christian Dior has that city, polished, glamourous feel whereas Prescriptives is more "fresh" for lack of a better word. Take a glance at Christian Dior campaigns and get a feel for the brand. If it were me, I would stick to a black pencil skirt, white collared shirt that is form fitting, black pumps, and very simple silver accessories. For make up, keep to neutral colors for a refined look, though make sure that your make up is what stands out about you. You want to impress them for your skills - not just your fashion sense. But again, check out the brand itself and get inspired that way. That is the BEST way to get a leg up on the competition.

Of course these are by no means "the rules". This is just what I did for my interview a few years ago. Good luck!!!

Example:

3051194697_3b3e2f8a13_o.jpg

^^Almost exactly how I did my make up when working Dior.

I would err on the side of conservative. It's a job interview and dressing conservatively conveys respect for not only the company but also the person interviewing you. :smile: I would go with a charcoal grey, black or navy pencil skirt, a tailored top/shirt (light pink, light blue, or white works) and add a chic scarf, bangle or something fun yet tasteful to showcase your personality (but limit that to one piece) and some comfortable, classic pumps (no sandals or super high heels) to finish it off. :smile:

I'm with you in the loving fun makeup colors (and I'm a total MAC addict haha), but remember, you are interviewing for a position at Dior. :smile: Wearing bright colors that the brand does not carry may not be a good idea. Go for classic makeup, and play up one feature (do a subdued smoky eye, for example or a more vibrant, saturated lip), but don't go crazy with color. You want to obviously apply your makeup as flawlessly as possible (which I have no doubt you will do! :smile:), because how you apply it on yourself says a lot about how you will apply it on others (and that is a big part of your job and something an interviewer will no doubt notice). Good luck!! :flowers:

I agree with the pencil skirt, if you have mostly dark tops I would say go with a greyish one, incase you don't have any white fitted shirts/tops and you are not looking into buying something for the interview. Accessorize with some silver accesories, maybe even a silver belt . Keep the make up simple but add a little touch of your personality/look too.

Definitely go on the professional/conservatively (yet fashionable as it would apply to the cosmetic industry) you don't want to look like you're going for a job as a librarian kwim? As for makeup you want to do a professional look with a little glam. I wouldn't do too much crazy color (stay more neutral) but show off your skills as a makeup artist and use your products (foundation or powder, shadow, liner, mascara, blush, lipstick, liner and gloss) if you're going to sell products for them you need to show that you wear them. If you can afford it, maybe pick up a dior gloss and shadow that you like, it's always nice to go to an interview like that with your makeup perfectly done and get a compliment on your makeup where you can answer with "oh it's dior". I've worked for many makeup lines and whenever I interview with one I make sure to have some of their product on because it shows you're enthusiasm for both the job and their products. I usually always wear black (as most lines I work for that had basically been our uniform) not too crazy hair, maybe even pulled away from my face a bit..... Think polished : ) I've been hired with Lancome, Laura Mercier, Estee Lauder, Mac, Smash Box, and Chanel and I've followed pretty much the same thing for every interview. Three of these lines I've worked for in NYC too. Good luck!

I wanted to say thanks again to everyone for their helpful advice!!! I went to meet the Dior rep yesterday and wore a pinstripe pencil skirt, fitted black dress shirt, diesel boots with my hair as usual (messy, asymmetrical bedhead, but out of my face) and my usual smokey eye but with a pretty copper MAC color (I can't afford Dior, I'm going to end up wearing the samples they send us, ha) and the rep ate it up!! She was so happy because the only other woman who works the Dior counter is much older, so they wanted someone "trendy" and young.. and as much as I hate the word trendy.. I have a job and I get to work for Dior!! So, thanks girls!!!!!!!!