Maintaining a H relationship

Please focus on the title of this thread rather than each other, TY

If you find it very hard to ignore certain people, please feel free in adding them to your 'Ignore' list.

For advice on how to obtain a B/K/C please go to the reading room in the Reading Room The Newbie's HOW DO I GET A BIRKIN (or other bag) Reading Room

For advice on how to shop at your local store please do a search in Hermes Shopping sub-forum and look for your store/region/country.

Reactions: Etriers and S62708
I now need some insights/advice for dealing with my SA.

So, I had an appointment with my SA at 2pm on a weekday, and I normally set up an appointment a few days ahead. (I also avoid any peak time because I hate shopping in the crowded.) There were clients A and C who were booked with my SA at 1pm and 3pm, respectively. (So, I am the client B here.)

As usual, I arrived in my home store early just to browse some items and to get hydrated, etc. I arrived at 1:30 pm this time. My SA saw me at around 1:40 pm while she was with the client A. My SA told me that she would see me soon. Then, out of all sudden, one client of my SA, client D, showed up without an appointment around 1:50pm. The client A left (after her shopping) and my SA gave her full attention to the client D. I then waited until 2:45 pm. My SA apologized for my wait time accordingly. Then during the last 15 minutes, my SA multi-tasked (e.g., texting to other clients) and I was not able to get any good attention from my SA. I still ended up purchasing some items, however.

The problem is that I was and am not happy with this experience.

- Client D was a big spender because she bought a canvas taurillon regate RMS rolling trolley luggage (which costs at least $10,000) and a couple of clothes that come with the garment bags. I wasn't a big spender (since my purchase would only be around $1,200 this time). Does this justify my long wait???
- If Client D is the VIP and I am not, does this justify my long wait???
- I did not complain or comment on my waiting time in front of my SA. But, I was pretty irate inside on my way back home after shopping. Plus, this is the second time having to wait like this even when I had an appointment ahead of time. (In other times, my SA is almost always late for 5-10 minutes, which I am OK with that.)
- Additional info: I take my whole day off when I go to my home store because it takes 2 and 1/2 hours each way (and my SA knows this). So, to me, it seems logical to be upset with this poor client service.

The bottom line is, I do not want this experience again. Can I tell the SA that I would leave the store without any notice if I wait for 15 minutes and not served on time? Or, what's the best way to deal with this problem? Thanks!
In an ideal world, every client would have an on time, uninterrupted appt slot. I would have texted my SA that I had to run and could not wait. It would drive me crazy to take this kind of thing personally, so I don’t. This is for two reasons: First, in my store 2pm on a weekday is quite busy, and demand for SA attention is high. The opening hours on Monday or Tuesday are much better. Second, not many SAs can keep an entire appt slot without managing their phones and multitasking. They aren’t given extra time to return all of those texts. The SM also reminds them of the need to take walk ins, as even higher spend clients do spend time waiting. The SM might also be quite aggravated if your SA couldn’t juggle a few sales. My SA used to grumble about being forced on door duty/walk ins, but it wasn’t exactly in his control.

Note: as you have a long commute, it might be better to wait to book an appt until you have more things to consider, or to stack time at Hermes with other errands elsewhere. As for client D, perhaps another SA or the SM indicated that your SA should help them. It is aggravating, but I don’t think an ultimatum will yield the results you want. JMO of course, and YMMV.

ETA: while I normally agree 100% with @WhiteBus , in this case, I don’t think you signaled tacit approval of the wait. Another way to handle it is to have a glass of champagne and then leave a message with your SA that you cannot wait :smile:

Last edited:
In an ideal world, every client would have an on time, uninterrupted appt slot. I would have texted my SA that I had to run and could not wait. It would drive me crazy to take this kind of thing personally, so I don’t.
Thanks for your comment. One of the discussion points I was making was what I should/could do to avoid this kind of disappointment in the future. I appreciate your suggestion.

First, in my store 2pm on a weekday is quite busy, and demand for SA attention is high. The opening hours on Monday or Tuesday are much better.
That's funny, because in my store, 2pm on a weekday that I visited was not busy or crowded at all. Even 3-4 other SAs were idled and ended up asking me if I had been helped multiple times. Second, my SA knows that I hate coming into the store when it is busy or crowded. (I've told her this multiple times, and the appointments are made considering this factor. I am not in a rush, so I can always be flexible with scheduling to avoid the busy hours.) But, I appreciate your suggestions regarding the opening hours on Monday or Tuesday.

Second, not many SAs can keep an entire appt slot without managing their phones and multitasking. They aren’t given extra time to return all of those texts. The SM also reminds them of the need to take walk ins, as even higher spend clients do spend time waiting. The SM might also be quite aggravated if your SA couldn’t juggle a few sales. My SA used to grumble about being forced on door duty/walk ins, but it wasn’t exactly in his control.
I understand that SAs need to do multitasking and do it well. I wasn't saying that multitasking was bad or not acceptable, etc. What bothers me is this: You [=SA] know that I had to wait this long, and I understand that you [=SA] have to see another client, client C, in 15 minutes at 3pm. I only have 15 minutes for that day because of that random client D. If you [=SA] are really sorry about this, can't you do that multitasking while seeing the client C, who will have one whole hour??? I mean, I only have 15 minutes to stay focused and get my shopping done. Is it really that difficult??

Note: as you have a long commute, it might be better to wait to book an appt until you have more things to consider, or to stack time at Hermes with other errands elsewhere.
I actually have slowed down a bit while I am waiting to get my QB (assuming that my pre-spend amount is not an issue). Someone said that even if the pre-spend is met, timing is out of control, and it is important to stay connected with the SA/store. That's what I am doing now. I am trying to see my SA once a month or two so that I would not be forgotten. Anyway, I appreciate your point.

As for client D, perhaps another SA or the SM indicated that your SA should help them.
My SA showed me her calendar/schedule of that day and she was fully booked from 1 pm to 6 pm. On the other hands, there were several SAs who were idled at the moment I was waiting. Would SA/SM really allocate my SA's time slots like that???

It is aggravating, but I don’t think an ultimatum will yield the results you want.
I am struggling here. If Hermes will provide me this kind of client service, why can't I just shop with my SA virtually/remotely? I read elsewhere that Hermes prefers or wants clients to be in the stores physically. What's the point of being in the store if I am treated like this? I could have just ordered items via my SA while waiting for my last (hopefully) QB. I can only be in the store when I am ready to purchase the QB. Or, am I misunderstanding your point here, perhaps?

Another way to handle it is to have a glass of champagne and then leave a message with your SA that you cannot wait :smile:
I had lots of drinks. I started with cappuccino and a bottle of water, and ended up with 2 glasses of champagne. 🤣

Last edited:
Thanks for your comment. One of the discussion points I was making was what I should/could do to avoid this kind of disappointment in the future. I appreciate your suggestion.

That's funny, because in my store, 2pm on a weekday that I visited was not busy or crowded at all. Even 3-4 other SAs were idled and ended up asking me if I had been helped multiple times. Second, my SA knows that I hate coming into the store when it is busy or crowded. (I've told her this multiple times, and the appointments are made considering this factor. I am not in a rush, so I can always be flexible with scheduling to avoid the busy hours.) But, I appreciate your suggestions regarding the opening hours on Monday or Tuesday.

I understand that SAs need to do multitasking and do it well. I wasn't saying that multitasking was bad or not acceptable, etc. What bothers me is this: You [=SA] know that I had to wait this long, and I understand that you [=SA] have to see another client, client C, in 15 minutes at 3pm. I only have 15 minutes for that day because of that random client D. If you [=SA] are really sorry about this, can't you do that multitasking while seeing the client C, who will have one whole hour??? I mean, I only have 15 minutes to stay focused and get my shopping done. Is it really that difficult??

I actually have slowed down a bit while I am waiting to get my QB (assuming that my pre-spend amount is not an issue). Someone said that even if the pre-spend is met, timing is out of control, and it is important to stay connected with the SA/store. That's what I am doing now. I am trying to see my SA once a month or two so that I would not be forgotten. Anyway, I appreciate your point.

My SA showed me her calendar/schedule of that day and she was fully booked from 1 pm to 6 pm. On the other hands, there were several SAs who were idled at the moment I was waiting. Would SA/SM really allocate my SA's time slots like that???

I am struggling here. If Hermes will provide me this kind of client service, why can't I just shop with my SA virtually/remotely? I read elsewhere that Hermes prefers or wants clients to be in the stores physically. What's the point of being in the store if I am treated like this? I could have just ordered items via my SA while waiting for my last (hopefully) QB. I can only be in the store when I am ready to purchase the QB. Or, am I misunderstanding your point here, perhaps?

I had lots of drinks. I started with cappuccino and a bottle of water, and ended up with 2 glasses of champagne. 🤣
I would book the first appointment of the day given your long drive back. If your SA knows you have the whole day off, the SA may feel you are under less time pressure.

My personal experience with Hermes is to shop as little as possible, but to be decisive, make it FUN and make it meaningful for both me and my SA. When I say meaningful, I mean financially memorable and meaningful for the SA. You do not have to go in often if you buy all you want at one time instead of constantly angling for me time with the SA. I used to work retail when I was in college and my daughter currently works retail, so I know exactly what both the SA and I need out of our 2 hour blocks of time. Your SA could have handled the situation better, but if you are going in quite often and spending low four figures an hour and another client who is known to spend mid 5 figures an hour who rarely comes in, what is a SA to do? The other client was rude to encroach on your time. Please do not take it personally. It is just business.

I now need some insights/advice for dealing with my SA.

So, I had an appointment with my SA at 2pm on a weekday, and I normally set up an appointment a few days ahead. (I also avoid any peak time because I hate shopping in the crowded.) There were clients A and C who were booked with my SA at 1pm and 3pm, respectively. (So, I am the client B here.)

As usual, I arrived in my home store early just to browse some items and to get hydrated, etc. I arrived at 1:30 pm this time. My SA saw me at around 1:40 pm while she was with the client A. My SA told me that she would see me soon. Then, out of all sudden, one client of my SA, client D, showed up without an appointment around 1:50pm. The client A left (after her shopping) and my SA gave her full attention to the client D. I then waited until 2:45 pm. My SA apologized for my wait time accordingly. Then during the last 15 minutes, my SA multi-tasked (e.g., texting to other clients) and I was not able to get any good attention from my SA. I still ended up purchasing some items, however.

The problem is that I was and am not happy with this experience.

- Client D was a big spender because she bought a canvas taurillon regate RMS rolling trolley luggage (which costs at least $10,000) and a couple of clothes that come with the garment bags. I wasn't a big spender (since my purchase would only be around $1,200 this time). Does this justify my long wait???
- If Client D is the VIP and I am not, does this justify my long wait???
- I did not complain or comment on my waiting time in front of my SA. But, I was pretty irate inside on my way back home after shopping. Plus, this is the second time having to wait like this even when I had an appointment ahead of time. (In other times, my SA is almost always late for 5-10 minutes, which I am OK with that.)
- Additional info: I take my whole day off when I go to my home store because it takes 2 and 1/2 hours each way (and my SA knows this). So, to me, it seems logical to be upset with this poor client service.

The bottom line is, I do not want this experience again. Can I tell the SA that I would leave the store without any notice if I wait for 15 minutes and not served on time? Or, what's the best way to deal with this problem? Thanks!
Yikes.

This is H. If you are currently not a huge spender and give you give your sa an ultimatum, that may not be received well and could delay any b/c/k you are interested in. I would suggest perhaps during your next appointment that you have another commitment immediately after. From my prior experience, there have been times that I have had an appointment and I have had to wait 30 to even an hour because my sa went to lunch, had another client run late etc. I have not voiced any concerns and she has apologized. They are over worked and trying to satisfy high end clients - irrespective of spend ratio — across various categories. It is not an easy feat.

SAs are overworked, with in person appointments, walk in clients without appointments, text, emails etc. I do not mind nor find anything wrong when my sa text while we are in my appointment slot.

My personal experience with Hermes is to shop as little as possible, but to be decisive, make it FUN and make it meaningful for both me and my SA. When I say meaningful, I mean financially memorable and meaningful for the SA. You do not have to go in often if you buy all you want at one time instead of constantly angling for me time with the SA. I used to work retail when I was in college and my daughter currently works retail, so I know exactly what both the SA and I need out of our 2 hour blocks of time. Your SA could have handled the situation better, but if you are going in quite often and spending low four figures an hour and another client who is known to spend mid 5 figures an hour who rarely comes in, what is a SA to do? The other client was rude to encroach on your time. Please do not take it personally. It is just business.
This! I do not go in to the store unless it’s a “financially memorable day” for my SA with a very happy ending for both of us.
I do not make any appointments for one item on the website. Those items my sa orders for me via text and mails home. I also don’t think my sa would be segregating multiple hour appointments with me if I was spending below 5k plus during appointment. It’s just the nature of the H shopping.

When I make an appointment it is either 15 minutes or 2 hours bc we have lots to buy and it has been narrowed down bc I arrived. Rtw and home take time.

I think the latest posts are very interesting. When I shop at Hermes, I do respect my SA and we usually have so much fun together while keeping things low key. To be honest, however, I have never considered myself if I need to make my shopping days "financially memorable and meaningful for the SA." Maybe I am an outlier here.😅

This is purely my perception: In general, my SA loves me visiting the store/her often regardless of my spending level. But, what I sensed here seems that it wouldn't be a good idea to bother my SA if the spending wouldn't be at least $5,000, etc. I wasn't aware of this, and it is an interesting consensus. (I only went to my store twice in March, once in April, and yesterday. I didn't consider myself visiting there too frequently either.)

Thank you for your insights; I may have to recalibrate the expectations. I think it was a good inquiry to ask for the reality check. :smile:

Last edited:
I think the latest posts are very interesting. When I shop at Hermes, I do respect my SA and we usually have so much fun together while keeping things low key. To be honest, I have never considered as if I need to make my shopping days "financially memorable and meaningful for the SA." Maybe I am an outlier here.😅

This is purely my perception: In general, my SA loves me visiting the store/her often regardless of my spending level. But, what I sensed here seems that it wouldn't be a good idea to bother my SA if the spending wouldn't be at least $5,000 or more. I wasn't aware of this, and it is an interesting consensus. (I only went to my store twice in March, once in April, and yesterday. I didn't consider myself visiting there too frequently either.)

Thank you for your insights; I may have to recalibrate the expectations. I think it was a good inquiry to ask for the reality check. :smile:
Please take my comments lightly as I shop in a competitive location. I do not think my sa would book an appointment with me unless she knew I am a solid client When I started shopping with my sa, she would just tell me the days she worked and to pass by (not a fixed appointment), it afforded her an opportunity to service various clients at the same time. Whereas once I started shopping more (spent more) sa suggested appointment bookings. It’s all fluid and dependent on client, sa, sm, store traffic. I just now try to only schedule when I have various items of interest.

Please take my comments lightly as I shop in a competitive location. I do not think my sa would book an appointment with me unless she knew I am a solid client When I started shopping with my sa, she would just tell me the days she worked and to pass by (not a fixed appointment), it afforded her an opportunity to service various clients at the same time. Whereas once I started shopping more (spent more) sa suggested appointment bookings. It’s all fluid and dependent on client, sa, sm, store traffic. I just now try to only schedule when I have various items of interest.
Yes, of course! I truly appreciate your comment and suggestions! :smile:

To be honest, however, I have never considered myself if I need to make my shopping days "financially memorable and meaningful for the SA." Maybe I am an outlier here.

You’re not alone :smile: I generally just go in when an item I expressed interest in came into the store. Sometimes it’s a big ticket item (like a coat), sometimes it’s small (like shoes). No one has ever acted like I was wasting their time.

My SA told me that he appreciates that I can come in often, as most of his clients are tourists and shop remotely. He in fact did make a comment that my profile would look better if I make smaller and frequent purchases, versus making one big purchase every so often. I’m guessing that’s because the store gets so many tourists that a loyal local stands out more.

My personal experience is a bit similar to what @haute okole except for the high spending.
I go to store once every 6 weeks or so. I am a very decisive shopper and rarely ask to see items I will not be buying - I only shop what's available in-store and don't make a fuss about getting items that are only available online. For me shopping is a light and fun experience - I truly do not need anything. So I don't find it logical to stress about not finding a pair of Chypre in a specific color or any other popular sold out item. I have so much fun with my SA and we often dream together about our next holiday destination to escape the bad weather.

I am more in the low 4 figures spending when I go to store and keep my time with my SA short and sweet (45mins at maximum). I have noticed that they appreciate this type of shopping and I have often been prioritized even when there are other clients waiting or if I have to wait I immediately get offered a drink and sometimes other SAs that know me come and chat. I get invited to store events like the high jewelry presentation, etc. As I said, not a big spender but perhaps just an easy client plus my store gets lots of tourist so the "frequent" visits also help with establishing a relationship as @benjinito mentioned.

I think just having a light-hearted attitude when shopping helps ease any tensions. I know everyone is very busy - SAs and clients alike, everyone can decide how much of their time they are willing to spend and if its not suitable joyfully walk away. I'm sure a glass of champagne under the sun will cure just about anything. :cool:

I think the latest posts are very interesting. When I shop at Hermes, I do respect my SA and we usually have so much fun together while keeping things low key. To be honest, however, I have never considered myself if I need to make my shopping days "financially memorable and meaningful for the SA." Maybe I am an outlier here.😅

This is purely my perception: In general, my SA loves me visiting the store/her often regardless of my spending level. But, what I sensed here seems that it wouldn't be a good idea to bother my SA if the spending wouldn't be at least $5,000, etc. I wasn't aware of this, and it is an interesting consensus. (I only went to my store twice in March, once in April, and yesterday. I didn't consider myself visiting there too frequently either.)

I would not be concerned about this. You have a strong enough relationship and spend profile to have placed a special order and to be also expecting a Birkin this year; this usually means valued customer. Of course, if you are buying a Calvi or the coloring book 🤣 - don't expect an hour of your SA's time. But you don't need to spend $5K.

Generally if I want to buy quite small things, I text my SA and ask ("do you have a wallet in chèvre in a great color?" "do you have xx scarf in xx colorway?"). They can look this up easily in just a moment, or have a junior SA pull it, and have it ready for me to check out when I arrive. If I know I want it, I will usually just charge-send.

The incident with you not getting your SA's time and being squished between appointments seems to be that a very high spender showed up early and wasn't courteous about waiting. Possibly the person is extremely high maintenance (so uncommon at Hermès :roflmfao: ) and the SA was caught in a bind. I would have texted and said "hey, I can't wait past xx time" and then "Looks like Louis can help me, that ok?" - then I would have done my shopping as usual with one of the SAs offering to help.

ETA: I would also have NO problem letting my SA know in a gentle way that it's a 5 hour round-trip for you.

ETA again: I would also have no problem drinking all their champagne.

Last edited:
I would not be concerned about this. You have a strong enough relationship and spend profile to have placed a special order and to be also expecting a Birkin this year; this usually means valued customer. Of course, if you are buying a Calvi or the coloring book 🤣 - don't expect an hour of your SA's time. But you don't need to spend $5K.

Generally if I want to buy quite small things, I text my SA and ask ("do you have a wallet in chèvre in a great color?" "do you have xx scarf in xx colorway?"). They can look this up easily in just a moment, or have a junior SA pull it, and have it ready for me to check out when I arrive. If I know I want it, I will usually just charge-send.

The incident with you not getting your SA's time and being squished between appointments seems to be that a very high spender showed up early and wasn't courteous about waiting. Possibly the person is extremely high maintenance (so uncommon at Hermès :roflmfao: ) and the SA was caught in a bind. I would have texted and said "hey, I can't wait past xx time" and then "Looks like Louis can help me, that ok?" - then I would have done my shopping as usual with one of the SAs offering to help.

ETA: I would also have NO problem letting my SA know in a gentle way that it's a 5 hour round-trip for you.

ETA again: I would also have no problem drinking all their champagne.
I agree with this that I don’t think we need to spend so much and turn ourselves into such knots if we have an SA we have a good relationship with.

I recently had an experience that I found interesting where a different SA said to me “it took you so long to tell her (my SA) what bag you wanted!” I think we are so wrapped up, and frankly I think TPF contributes to this, in being perfect clients and not harassing SAs for bags etc. we should just be a little more forthright and we might feel better. I have learned my lesson.

I think the bolded is the most key part in this discussion!

At the risk of beating a dying horse, figured I'd weigh in from the perspective of someone who makes relatively small purchases in a low-traffic store. My SOP is to swing by around 5pm on a Thursday on my way home from work after having texted my SA about an one or more items I want and confirming with her that it's either available in store or she can order it for me in-person and she's available to see me. I try to group my purchases, but sometimes I see a Glenan bracelet on the website in a color I fancy... I've never gotten the sense that she's anything but happy for me to shop this way, BUT it's a very low-traffic time for a generally low-traffic store (there are usually only a small handful of clients there, sometimes even just 1 or 2), and if it is truly just a a website order of a single item, I'm in and out in a breezy 10 minutes. I wouldn't try this maneuver on a Saturday mid-afternoon when she easily could be putting aside the time for client with a much longer and more $$$ shopping list or helping a walk-in with the same sort of list. I also get the sense that some stores never really have that low-traffic time and have a lot more high spenders in the store at any given moment, so of course and as always with H, ymmv. :biggrin: