Magic Eraser catastrophe...can this Mini Noe be saved?

trumanfinn

O.G.
Jul 31, 2009
So I got a GREAT deal on this used- but it was in need of a little rescue. It was a very dark patina and very dirty (although only 4 years old, and no scrapes, holes etc...) I thought she was a great candidate for a Magic Eraser rescue! (Pics are below)

No...it's horrid.

I can NOT get it even, I can NOT get the bad spots off...there was staining on the thread that I didn't notice, but which is now PAINFULLY obvious. I have conditioned it twice, it feels soft and supple, but looks like crap.

Also, the Magic Eraser "magically erased" the heat stamp and the made in France on the strap!

And it's completely uneven...the base looks horrible, just HORRIBLE.

The strap came very clean, nice and even too- but doesn't match the base AT ALL, and the leather strips on the side came clean right in the middle, but I cant get the edges and sides clean.

Sigh again...is there anything I can do to try to save her? I've heard that the Apple Leather Cleaner can darken vachetta, should I maybe try it on the base?

The worst part is that the bag was fine before, it was just really dark and kind of beat up looking. I really thought that an evening with the Magic and Eraser and Apple would have it looking great...I'm afraid I've ruined it.

http://
IMG_5561.jpg

IMG_5562.jpg

IMG_5563-1.jpg

IMG_5565.jpg

LV will never think that bag has much time left to repair, it, I dont know, maybe you can replace the vachetta? The canvas is nice. Maybe they will replace the problem areas?

lovinmybags.com (I think that is the name of the site) does a great job on wrecked vachetta. I had an old LV backpack with practically black handles and straps, so dirty!

They re-dyed it to not light, new vachetta color but a very even light golden patina. You can search on here for their website or Google. They have done some nice restorations of color on old Bal bags as well. (no affiliation, just a satisfied customer)

I'll look into the website, thanks!

I conditioned it with Apple- it didn't seem to change the color at all, that's how it looked after magic erasing.

I think that the original owner used brown shoe polish on it. As soon as I started magic erasing I could see these large brown spots that were darker than the rest of the vachetta, and..well...it looked like she had rubbed shoe polish on it to hide the scuffs and dirt. Problem is, I can't get it all off!

I'm more stressed out about rubbing off the heat stamp- it's driving me nuts!

You need to condition the bag. Before conditioning the bag, use a non-alcohol baby wipe to remove ALL the residue from the magic eraser as well as the dryness of the leather. After the baby wipe then use Apple conditioner or another good conditioner for vachetta leather, approx 3-4 coats, allowing each coat to totally dry between. I can tell from looking at your photos, the conditioner will improve it at least 50%!

Thank you Southerncharm! I just wiped it down and put on a coat of Apple.

heychar- I don't really want to sink a bunch of money into it...it isn't really a bag that I desperately wanted, it was just a great deal and I thought that I could clean it up. If it was one that I really loved, or that had sentimental value I'd consider sinking a bunch of money into it, but it's just something I snagged for a good deal. Vachetta replacement would probably cost too much! :smile:

I had the same problem with an Alma I scored dirt cheap (no pun intended lol) whatever was on the vachetta was really nasty....it turned the magic eraser orange...and it seemed like it would never stop coming off. I continued to clean the bottom and side and it cleaned up really nicely...but then I used the Apple Guard conditioner and it darkened the vachetta...too much for my liking...so, I intend to use the magic eraser again....and condition with something other than the Apple Guard....I personally don't think your bag looks that bad, but good luck with what you decide to do....it's really a cute bag!;)

Here's a link to my album of before and afters of my alma.....

http://s264.photobucket.com/albums/ii183/roblin_2008/Alma/

I am so not a fan of the magic eraser. It damages the leather, and actually takes a few layers off!

Saddle soap will darken it, but it does clean the leather. If you like it dark, then you can use mink oil.

I personally would just have the leather replaced. It won't be cheap, but then it will be perfect again :smile:

I've done 4 coats of Apple, and it is looking a bit more even...still really dark, though. I've become quite fond of the little thing, and might just have the vachetta replaced. I wish I could get an estimate! I called LV, they couldn't help...I called the store, and they said I'd have to bring it in. I live 2 hours from LV...if it's $300 I can do it...if it's $600 the baby is going on ebay..LOL.

LV is probably gonna charge you an arm, a leg and four toes to get the moo leather replaced. I wouldnt be surprised if they ask for $800+, i've heard stories. Just keep it and keep working on it, it looks to me that you've become attached to it :supacool:

I don't know where you live but I have heard great things about Margaret's cleaners in La Jolla in CA and they do ship. I would call them to see what they could do for my bag before paying all that cash to replace the leather.