Magic Alhambra 4-motif earrings review

pomelofruit

Aug 18, 2022
I've had the Magic 4-motif earrings for a few months now and as there are only a few pictures and reviews of the 4-motif Magic Alhambra earrings online, I thought I'd go into depth about them here.

TLDR: I love how much of a playful statement these earrings are, but can see why they’re not for everyone due to the weight and noise the motifs make. If iridescence matters to you, consider seeing them in store first (if there is stock) as my pair are not particularly iridescent.

Design: the asymmetry to the design gives it a playfulness - this is why I personally prefer this over the three motif which are more classic and elegant. Note that the top and third motif are a “small” Magic size at 20mm (which is the size of the Magic stud earrings) and the bottom motif is a “large” Magic size at 26mm (which is the size of the Magic long pendant). The smallest motif is the standard Vintage size at 15mm. Comparison photo with my Sweet and Vintage onyx motifs below (I don't own anything in Magic size).

There is a difference between the left and right earring - they are mirror copies of each other, and therefore the design does look better the right way round, but isn’t too noticeable if you wear them the wrong way (as I did the first time and in some of these pics - whoops).

Materials: maybe my eyes have been spoiled by some of the beauties I’ve seen online, but the iridescence is not amazing on these MOP. I know I shouldn’t expect MOP to perform like GMOP but I was hoping for stronger colour play on the earrings. However, I think this is a detail that 99% won’t notice and I don’t mind enough to kick up a fuss to replace the MOP motifs. Comparison with my iridescent Hermes MOP watch dial below.

Weight / comfort: these puppies aren’t light at 38g (19g each), although they’re not as heavy as some of the diamond chandeliers I’ve tried on. For context, the VCA Vintage onyx single motif studs are ~7g (3.5g each) and the VCA 3-motif MOP/onyx/GMOP are ~34g (17g per ear) - note these weights were found online as I don't own either of these.

For me, this weight is fine for occasion wear. The longest I’ve worn them was 4-5 hours and whilst I can definitely feel the weight, my ears didn’t experience much discomfort.

The standard VCA earring post fits me well so no adjustment needed on that front. The post can be screwed into two positions - I wear mine in the higher setting ie lower post hole.

Noise: the motifs clink against each other with movement. It’s not loud, but noticeable at first, and then it starts blending into the background. Someone described these as a wind chime sound and I agree - to me, they actually sound rather melodic and beautiful as opposed to annoying or distracting (a friend at dinner complimented the sound too), but I made the mistake of wearing them to a classical music concert where I spent two hours trying to keep my head as still as possible...!

Styling (for me): as these are MOP + YG, they don’t feel too formal - I wore these to a diner for lunch and didn’t feel too dressed up for the occasion.

I tend to keep the neckline simple with either a small necklace or no necklace at all. I do wear them with my onyx Alhambra ring, as there is enough distance between the ears and hands for it not to be too matchy-matchy.

Cost per wear: hah! Whilst CPW is an important metric for me, I knew the CPW would be low. Nevertheless, I like how these can be worn both casually and formally, and they are certainly high impact! I’ve made peace that these do poorly on CPW but rank highly on enjoyment, and I find myself reaching for these every time I feel even *slightly* fancy.

I’m also hoping that, short of any head banging, the clinking won’t abrade the motifs too much, especially since they aren’t daily wear earrings.

Overall, they’re an immensely fun pair of statement earrings that can be worn on many occasions (just not when you need to be very quiet like a classical music concert!). Whilst I’m a little disappointed by the iridescence of the MOP on my particular pair, they’re earrings so I’m not the one who sees this detail when they’re being worn (hah!).

1eda2ecf-3a81-485f-89fa-b3687e0a39e2.jpg79ff2f5a-b5cb-4aea-bf71-bd75b3f650a1.jpg5aa8d733-5c59-40ff-9a20-7656dd4332ff.jpge5626457-3167-4edf-b32f-6c39ea439e98.jpgbccef7b0-dd90-436a-98cb-1b0defc8009c.jpge882ba1b-fc1b-4676-9254-829e14783a87.jpg

Thank you for your review and great pics. Regarding the iridescence of the MOP, I think that when choosing MOP for the earrings, the artisan is tasked with selecting ones which are a good match to each other, color wise and shine wise. This is much different that choosing for a pendant or watch face. These earrings are stunning!

I've had the Magic 4-motif earrings for a few months now and as there are only a few pictures and reviews of the 4-motif Magic Alhambra earrings online, I thought I'd go into depth about them here.

TLDR: I love how much of a playful statement these earrings are, but can see why they’re not for everyone due to the weight and noise the motifs make. If iridescence matters to you, consider seeing them in store first (if there is stock) as my pair are not particularly iridescent.

Design: the asymmetry to the design gives it a playfulness - this is why I personally prefer this over the three motif which are more classic and elegant. Note that the top and third motif are a “small” Magic size at 20mm (which is the size of the Magic stud earrings) and the bottom motif is a “large” Magic size at 26mm (which is the size of the Magic long pendant). The smallest motif is the standard Vintage size at 15mm. Comparison photo with my Sweet and Vintage onyx motifs below (I don't own anything in Magic size).

There is a difference between the left and right earring - they are mirror copies of each other, and therefore the design does look better the right way round, but isn’t too noticeable if you wear them the wrong way (as I did the first time and in some of these pics - whoops).

Materials: maybe my eyes have been spoiled by some of the beauties I’ve seen online, but the iridescence is not amazing on these MOP. I know I shouldn’t expect MOP to perform like GMOP but I was hoping for stronger colour play on the earrings. However, I think this is a detail that 99% won’t notice and I don’t mind enough to kick up a fuss to replace the MOP motifs. Comparison with my iridescent Hermes MOP watch dial below.

Weight / comfort: these puppies aren’t light at 38g (19g each), although they’re not as heavy as some of the diamond chandeliers I’ve tried on. For context, the VCA Vintage onyx single motif studs are ~7g (3.5g each) and the VCA 3-motif MOP/onyx/GMOP are ~34g (17g per ear) - note these weights were found online as I don't own either of these.

For me, this weight is fine for occasion wear. The longest I’ve worn them was 4-5 hours and whilst I can definitely feel the weight, my ears didn’t experience much discomfort.

The standard VCA earring post fits me well so no adjustment needed on that front. The post can be screwed into two positions - I wear mine in the higher setting ie lower post hole.

Noise: the motifs clink against each other with movement. It’s not loud, but noticeable at first, and then it starts blending into the background. Someone described these as a wind chime sound and I agree - to me, they actually sound rather melodic and beautiful as opposed to annoying or distracting (a friend at dinner complimented the sound too), but I made the mistake of wearing them to a classical music concert where I spent two hours trying to keep my head as still as possible...!

Styling (for me): as these are MOP + YG, they don’t feel too formal - I wore these to a diner for lunch and didn’t feel too dressed up for the occasion.

I tend to keep the neckline simple with either a small necklace or no necklace at all. I do wear them with my onyx Alhambra ring, as there is enough distance between the ears and hands for it not to be too matchy-matchy.

Cost per wear: hah! Whilst CPW is an important metric for me, I knew the CPW would be low. Nevertheless, I like how these can be worn both casually and formally, and they are certainly high impact! I’ve made peace that these do poorly on CPW but rank highly on enjoyment, and I find myself reaching for these every time I feel even *slightly* fancy.

I’m also hoping that, short of any head banging, the clinking won’t abrade the motifs too much, especially since they aren’t daily wear earrings.

Overall, they’re an immensely fun pair of statement earrings that can be worn on many occasions (just not when you need to be very quiet like a classical music concert!). Whilst I’m a little disappointed by the iridescence of the MOP on my particular pair, they’re earrings so I’m not the one who sees this detail when they’re being worn (hah!).

View attachment 5912710
oh my gosh what a gorgeous detailed photo.

The iridescence is over the top stunning! :loveeyes:
Thats the prettiest MOP I ever did see!

Those are fun and make a very bold statement, but jangly earrings drive me crazy! I have some Christofle earrings that are articulated and move beautifully, but the noise! I don’t know if others can hear them move, but I find the noise deafening. As a result, I very rarely wear them.

Last edited:
Reactions: pomelofruit
Thank you for the pictures and very detailed descriptions. I do think yours has beautiful iridescence. I am very sensitive to earring weight and applaud those who can wear beautiful but heavy earrings.
Thanks! Yes I’m pretty lucky that my ears aren’t very sensitive and my piercings aren’t small so VCA’s standard thicker posts fit me well :smile:

Thank you for your review and great pics. Regarding the iridescence of the MOP, I think that when choosing MOP for the earrings, the artisan is tasked with selecting ones which are a good match to each other, color wise and shine wise. This is much different that choosing for a pendant or watch face. These earrings are stunning!
Thanks for the insight! I hadn’t realised this about the matching of motifs and how this would be different to a single pendant and watch face. That makes a lot of sense - appreciate it!

oh my gosh what a gorgeous detailed photo.

The iridescence is over the top stunning! :loveeyes:
Thats the prettiest MOP I ever did see!
Thank you!

Those are fun and make a very bold statement, but jangly earrings drive me crazy! I have some Christofle earrings that are articulated and move beautifully, but the noise! I don’t know if others can hear them move, but I find the noise deafening. As a result, I very rarely wear them.
Ah sorry to hear this, and hope that on the rare occasions that you do wear them, their beauty makes it worth it ☺️

Holy crap, I LOVEEEE these earrings! And your style in general (your cuff ring is gorgeous!) congratulations on such a beautiful and unique acquisition!

Also, can I say - you are AMAZING! Thank you so much for the detailed writeup. I came across a post about the 4 motifs on here when I was actually searching for inspo about pairing a 3 motif with a 20 motif and I loved them so much! I love how unique and playful they are, they skew younger/edgier/more casual than the 3 motif (which are gorgeous, but more “elegant” like you said). But I don’t live near a VCA and besides I’ve never seen them in person, even while travelling. I don’t plan to buy them anytime soon (going to decide on a 20 motif first and get earrings to match) but inspo pics are so so helpful. And your pics have definitely swayed me!!!

And thank you so much for the info on the earrings themselves. I find the vintage size a bit uncomfortably small for the position of my piercings so that is the one thing that was mentally holding me back from VCA long earrings. But now that I know that the top motif is the size of the magic earring, I will know how to check if the earring is comfortable. The extra 5mm of clearance should make them perfectly comfortable though!

so gorgeous especially in a tropical location with a tan and a long flowy dress
Thanks! Sadly I won’t be going anywhere tropical soon but thank you for the good vibes 😎

Stunning!!!!
Thank you!

Holy crap, I LOVEEEE these earrings! And your style in general (your cuff ring is gorgeous!) congratulations on such a beautiful and unique acquisition!

Also, can I say - you are AMAZING! Thank you so much for the detailed writeup. I came across a post about the 4 motifs on here when I was actually searching for inspo about pairing a 3 motif with a 20 motif and I loved them so much! I love how unique and playful they are, they skew younger/edgier/more casual than the 3 motif (which are gorgeous, but more “elegant” like you said). But I don’t live near a VCA and besides I’ve never seen them in person, even while travelling. I don’t plan to buy them anytime soon (going to decide on a 20 motif first and get earrings to match) but inspo pics are so so helpful. And your pics have definitely swayed me!!!

And thank you so much for the info on the earrings themselves. I find the vintage size a bit uncomfortably small for the position of my piercings so that is the one thing that was mentally holding me back from VCA long earrings. But now that I know that the top motif is the size of the magic earring, I will know how to check if the earring is comfortable. The extra 5mm of clearance should make them perfectly comfortable though!
Glad that it’s helpful! Especially with VCA stock shortages since the pandemic, it’s been sooo hard to try things on and with the policy shift to having to pay 100% deposit upfront for MTO creations, every purchase must be thought through carefully - so I’m v v grateful to the community here for their photos and reviews too 😊

I don’t have a pair of Vintage earrings so can’t comment on the clearance - just wondering how you know there’s a 5mm difference?

IMG_2705.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: JLO1
Thanks! Sadly I won’t be going anywhere tropical soon but thank you for the good vibes 😎

Thank you!

Glad that it’s helpful! Especially with VCA stock shortages since the pandemic, it’s been sooo hard to try things on and with the policy shift to having to pay 100% deposit upfront for MTO creations, every purchase must be thought through carefully - so I’m v v grateful to the community here for their photos and reviews too 😊

I don’t have a pair of Vintage earrings so can’t comment on the clearance - just wondering how you know there’s a 5mm difference?

View attachment 5913975

I think I was trying to say something else, not 5mm clearance (I really don’t know what the word would be haha), but the motif is 5mm bigger than the vintage one, so there would be a greater gap between the post and the base of the motif. I guess what I was trying to say was clip length, not clearance, because I just realised “clearance” could also mean the distance between back of clasp and motif. So for clarity, I meant N/S length, sorry! Probably not a full 5mm, but enough to make it comfortable for me, especially if the post is in the higher hole!

Could you measure the distance between the post and the base of the clasp? I can check to see if I can find the same thing for vintage earrings somewhere and then we will have that additional info!

ETA: I believe, by googling around, that for vintage earrings the distance between post and base is 8-10mm depending on which hole you use.

Last edited:
I think I was trying to say something else, not 5mm clearance (I really don’t know what the word would be haha), but the motif is 5mm bigger than the vintage one, so there would be a greater gap between the post and the base of the motif. I guess what I was trying to say was clip length, not clearance, because I just realised “clearance” could also mean the distance between back of clasp and motif. So for clarity, I meant N/S length, sorry! Probably not a full 5mm, but enough to make it comfortable for me, especially if the post is in the higher hole!

Could you measure the distance between the post and the base of the clasp? I can check to see if I can find the same thing for vintage earrings somewhere and then we will have that additional info!

ETA: I believe, by googling around, that for vintage earrings the distance between post and base is 8-10mm depending on which hole you use.
The distance between the post and bottom of the clasp is 12/14mm so hopefully that’s fine for your piercings!

Reactions: Pursephile
These look SOOO STUNNING on you!!! Thank you for your gorgeous pics and detailed write-up. Nice to see that they aren't overwhelming even with a fully curated ear (do I spy a Maria Tash thunderbolt in your conch?). I've been curious about these lately. :blush:

Reactions: pomelofruit