Made in France!

I think it might be because the US required goods to have "Made in wherever" on items for longer than most countries. I recall a reference to this in Dana Thomas's book "DeLuxe" where she recounted scenes of workers removing "Made in China" labels, as they were not required in most places. Most EU countries do not require any info on country of origin. There was this WSJ article about this topic:

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052748704062604576105691622922576

First 3 paras:

BRUSSELS—A proposal that would force companies to slap "Made in" labels on billions of euros in goods sold in the European Union has split the bloc's southern manufacturing base from big, mostly northern, multinational companies that sell items imported from abroad.

Trade experts say the idea's popularity in the EU—it has been approved by the EU Parliament and the European Commission—reflects concerns over a struggling economy and losing jobs to foreign competition.

It is odd that the heavily regulated EU doesn't already have country-of-origin labeling. Similar tags are mandated around the world, including in Japan and China, as a way to help domestic producers compete against foreign manufacturers. The U.S. has had origin labeling since the 1930s. Roughly a quarter of consumers make choices based on where a product was made, according to EU surveys.

I'm in Italy and it's a law that everything you buy, including food, MUST have the origin of the item declared, so I'm pretty sure it's an EU rule, but I could be wrong!

The Made in France mention on Hermes bags was introduced in the 70's. It would be a good idea to retrieve the original regulations that required this marking.
Back then , anyway, Hermes main market were European countries ( individually picked) , Japan and more confidentially, the USA.

Don't the scarves have "Fabrique en France" on the tags? Or am I hallucinating? I could run up and check a scarf, but. . . too lazy at the moment. :shame:

Did the scarf tags used to have it in French? Or perhaps in both languages? I have the image of the French phrase in my brain, but clearly, my mind is going. . . . :wacko:

I wish I'd been eleve en France! (Sorry, my keyboard lacks the appropriate accents. Let's all pretend they are there, or my old French teacher will hunt me down!)

I wish I'd been eleve en France! (Sorry, my keyboard lacks the appropriate accents. Let's all pretend they are there, or my old French teacher will hunt me down!)

You could have used copy/paste (and should have added an E ;) )
Anyway, since most of my belongings are currently in boxes, I can't check to see if I have anything that's made or fabriqué in/en France.

Below: how to avoid the issue!!!

Attachments

• 1401955735898.jpg
    1401955735898.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 152