Made a BIG selling mistake ... what to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You entered into a contract to sell the bags to the highest bidder. Now is not the time to decide you made a mistake. Not only will you get neg feedback, but I bet ebay suspends you. We have all made errors similar to that and have lost money. Why didnt you just return the bags in the first place? If you return the bags you will be out listing and final value fees as well.
i agree !!!!
if i was the winner i would be very upset...you shouldn't have put something up if you were not sure...you will def get a neg and get suspended

thats the thing with ebay though, you do need to research what items are going for before putting them on, esp with high end stuff, i think i would have just taken them back to the store to begin with rather than mess about with ebay, given how tricky it is these days, it'll be a lesson learnt whatever you decide to do !

A powerseller did that to me a few months ago. She was not suspended, probably just warned, neither did she lose her powerstealer status. Was I pist???? You bet, but I'm telling you this because for that big of a loss for you I can't blame you for pulling out of the deal. Ebay told me that a seller has the right to sell to anyone they choose. So as a seller, it looks like you'll be ok as long as you're careful not to do it again.

It's up to you not to sell or to sell. If you can take the bag back to the store without a loss than that is what I would do. $500 plus ebay and paypal fees is alot! I am pretty sure the buyer/winning bidder will be pissed at you but they don't pay your credit card bills. Do what is best for you or your family. Same as judge judy, this has also happened to me on ebay as well and I didn't report her or leave her a neg feedback. I wasn't happy about it but I understood where she was coming from. You should be honest with your bidder though and let them know what has happened. I am sure they will understand. Good luck.

Wow, I was looking for support, not to be personally attacked.

I am a good, honest seller and this was definitely not intentional.

Just a thought - You came here for support, not to be personally attacked, but if the shoe was on the other foot and you had made a profit on your bags and the buyer then decided she didn't want to pay would you not be here venting and personally attacking non-payers!

thats the thing with ebay though, you do need to research what items are going for before putting them on, esp with high end stuff, i think i would have just taken them back to the store to begin with rather than mess about with ebay, given how tricky it is these days, it'll be a lesson learnt whatever you decide to do !

Even if one researches, it may not be accurate, though, as the other sellers may have shill bid on their own items and if one is honest and doesn't do that, the item will, almost certainly, not reach the same price.

I think that in an ideal world you would swallow the loss and honour the sales. But if you really can't afford it and/or need to maintain your eBay reputation far less than you need to eat, pay your bills etc. I think it would be morally wrong for me to tell you to put your and your family's health and basic welfare at risk, just for the sake of completing the sales.

At the end of the day, the buyers won't lose any money, they'll just be a bit disappointed and have to find their bags elsewhere. :shrugs:

Just a thought - You came here for support, not to be personally attacked, but if the shoe was on the other foot and you had made a profit on your bags and the buyer then decided she didn't want to pay would you not be here venting and personally attacking non-payers!

Well, I also think that sellers should be a little more understanding if buyers can't pay, on occasion, too.

Things happen in life and if a buyer told me that her boiler had suddenly broken down, or her husband had just lost his job and she couldn't pay; I would be unlikely to neg. her, personally.

Not that I sell on eBay very often, but still.

I think we all need to remember that people make mistakes in life and bad things happen to people, sometimes and save our real anger for intentionally fraudulent eBayers. :yes:

It's up to you not to sell or to sell. If you can take the bag back to the store without a loss than that is what I would do. $500 plus ebay and paypal fees is alot! I am pretty sure the buyer/winning bidder will be pissed at you but they don't pay your credit card bills. Do what is best for you or your family. Same as judge judy, this has also happened to me on ebay as well and I didn't report her or leave her a neg feedback. I wasn't happy about it but I understood where she was coming from. You should be honest with your bidder though and let them know what has happened. I am sure they will understand. Good luck.

ITA. :yes:

Be honest and highly apologetic and hopefully, they will be gracious enough to show you some mercy! :biggrin:

I know lots of people (including myself) who have sold at a loss on ebay. No matter how we research etc, ebay is often a roll of the dice.

I've often seen people come here and get "support" for bad decisions. It's always kind of amazed me.

In any event, $500 is alot of money and you really lose no matter what you do -- either the money or risking repercussions on ebay. You have to do what's least harmful to you right now. If you can't pay the bill, you need to refund the buyer and take the consequences.

I think you have to go thru with the sales, even if they ae at your financial loss. It is actions like this that make eBay skeevy.

Win some lose, some. Live and learn. You asked for our oipinions. If you are lucky, maybe your buyers will be non-payers. That is your only honest out.

Well, the obvious right thing to do is complete the sale. I would, however, email the seller and honestly explain the situation and maybe you will get lucky and she will back out gracefully. It could happen. That would be your best scenerio. If you truly can not take the loss then you will do what you need to do and so will the buyer. You never know, maybe she will be happy to back out.

If u still can get back ur money, just return it to store. I prefer one neg. instead lost my $500 :Push:

but I think if your buyer really mad at your bag, she'll report to eBay as you refuse to sell to her. I don't know what's eBay act, perhaps anyone here know, will eBay suspend seller if she refuse to sell?

were the bags seperate or in one auction? if they were seperate and you tell both bidders that you're not going to sell them then if you had any other negs and they neg you you could be suspended from ebay. just a thought. losing money stinks. i've sold things at a loss before. not 500 but enough that it upset me. honestly, i wouldn't want to lose that much money. you did agree to sell it but that's enough that i might take the neg. i do agree with odonna and everyone else though that you entered in to a binding sale and in a perrfect world you should complete the transactions. i am usually firmly against sellers backing out because a) they should have known better and set the price at what they wanted and b) ebay is a 2 way street. you don't want the buyers backing out so you need to both hold up your end. but as i said i think 500 is a lot to lose.

i'm sorry you think people are attacking you but you came here for advice and if you asked ebay they would tell you the same thing- you set the price you should sell it like it or not. whatever you decide to do you learned for the next time- never price your things lower than you're willing to sell them for. ebay is too unpredicatable.

Status
Not open for further replies.