Macys or Nordstroms employees - ?'s

ilove$

O.G.
Aug 20, 2007
Does anyone know if they will really fire you at Macy's if you don't have enough loyalites opened? I'm seriously starting to hate the job because its so stressful being nagged to open them. Also, anyone work at Nordstroms? Do they push the loyalites/credit applications on you like Macy's does?

i've worked at foleys before it became macys and they never said anything about firing you if you didn't get enough customer credit applications or customer comments.
i think if you were new, they'd have "mystery shoppers" come and rate you.

worked at dillards too and they never threatened to fire you.

your only incentive is the extra pay they give you.

both stores push for credit apps because they are being pressured from corporate and their credit corp to open more. so that stress gets passed onto employees. it sucks. i'd hate pushing the credit to the older women or men who you could tell would have a hard time controlling themselves with the credit card. i'd sympathsize..something bad?

yeah at macys you get a probation period of 90 days from your hire date and you have to open up at least 7 loyalties but its kinda hard when you only have 2-3 customers everyday, you work 1-2 days a week, and most customers that pay already have macys cards.
So I'm guessing they could fire me? If they can do it I want to quit before they can fire me.

I've always wondered if Nordstroms was like Macy's just because I've never hear any of the Nordstroms employees ask the customers about the credit card when I'm in there.

I worked at the spa in Nordstrom and they pushed us to open accounts/sell products, which was why I quit. They had awesome services, too, but the emphasis was never on being a great nail tech/esthetician/massage therapist. You were only as good as your sales numbers.

Does anyone know if they will really fire you at Macy's if you don't have enough loyalites opened? I'm seriously starting to hate the job because its so stressful being nagged to open them. Also, anyone work at Nordstroms? Do they push the loyalites/credit applications on you like Macy's does?

I worked at Nordstrom in 2002 and they didn't push us to open credit accounts at all. In fact if you did open one they would give you $10 cash for each one opened that same day. This was nice because if you needed cash quick and couldn't wait for payday then all you had to do was get some credit cards opened plus I think Nordstrom customers would actually prefer to have a Nordstrom card as opposed to a Macy's customer who isn't as loyal.

That being said I doubt if Nordstrom still doesn't push their employees to open accounts because in-house credit cards are a big income stream for all businesses now days.

Basically every chain retailer on the face of the planet is going to push their employees to sell credit cards. You'll never find one that offers a credit card that doesn't have a big emphasis on it, because it makes logical business sense for them to do so. I can't answer a question about whether or not a particular retailer would fire you over it (I've never worked for one that did), but if you're uncomfortable offering (and even pushing) credit cards, major chain retail probably isn't for you. It's an unpleasant part of the business, but it's the same environment for it everywhere at this point, particularly considering the economic climate.

Basically every chain retailer on the face of the planet is going to push their employees to sell credit cards. You'll never find one that offers a credit card that doesn't have a big emphasis on it, because it makes logical business sense for them to do so. I can't answer a question about whether or not a particular retailer would fire you over it (I've never worked for one that did), but if you're uncomfortable offering (and even pushing) credit cards, major chain retail probably isn't for you. It's an unpleasant part of the business, but it's the same environment for it everywhere at this point, particularly considering the economic climate.

OMG it is definately not for me! It is totally different for what I expected it to be like. I didn't even get this job for money purposes but rather to get retail experience for my merchandising degree. It really sucks though because I've been working there for almost 4 months and I just want to stay there long enough where I can comfortably put it on my resume. I was just hoping there might be a store like nordstroms that wouldn't fire you over it though.

yup thats what I was thinking^^. I really feel like I'm going to get fired. Do you guys think I should give them my two weeks notice today? Its better to quit before they can fire you right? Ahh I need advice.

yup thats what I was thinking^^. I really feel like I'm going to get fired. Do you guys think I should give them my two weeks notice today? Its better to quit before they can fire you right? Ahh I need advice.

Depending on how bad you don't want to have that on your resume then you may want to quit. If you would like to collect unemployment then you should let them fire you. If you get fired for performance you still qualify for unemployment as opposed to getting fired for stealing or poor attendance. If you're not reaching your goals it is really up to them to train you to be better because they took the risk to hire you in the first place.

thanks so much everyone. Well I opened up two the other night, so hopefully I can keep it up. I just got the hang of it now. It definately makes the job more fun when you get more loyalities.

I'm an MTM at Macy's and I think they're really pushing the whole loyalty thing right now.. it also really depends on your store though and how much the store manager is pushing the subject.. especially during review boards. Plus, there's the whole new scorecard thing that's rolling out..

As of yesterday, yes. GF who works in cosmetics came to work (after being off for 3 days) to find out that 2 of her co-workers (on on her bay, one at Chanel) were fired for this reason. 5 minutes of being on the floor, her Dept. Manager came up and asked her how many Credit Aps (credit applications) she had completed. "I just arrived 5 minutes ago, so none" she replied. "Well, you're behind for the month so if you want to keep your job, you better have 3 by the end of the night" said the DM.

She did not have 1 CUSTOMER the whole 3.50 hours she was on the floor. So, she didn't make her number OR open any credit aps. Will she have a job at the end of the month? She's not sure. Oh and she's been with the store 15 years. But her co-worker had been there 20. The other woman was a newbie.

It definetely depends on the store, but when I was working at Nordstrom we were not pushed at ALL to open credit cards. If anything, my manager would casually remind us to do it for the benefit of an extra 10 bucks, put no pressure whatsoever. Sorry to hear all the terrible stories