MAB Mini or Mini 5-Zip?

omgxitsxemmerz

killer.
Jan 19, 2010
I've never purchased a RM before, but I'm looking into buying one! Do y'all suggest doing a mini 5-zip or waiting and getting a MAB mini? I'm not usually a small bag person, but I really like the 5-zip...but I also love the MAB mini. Help!!

The MAB mini is much bigger and bulkier. The 5 zip lays closer and flatter on the body. Lol I hope that makes sense... it really depends on what you want to fit in and which look you prefer. I was looking at both too and ended up with 5 zip.

a MAB mini (aka MAM) can hold everything you need for a day... a long wallet, key case, pouches, a phone, a scarf and even an iPad. a mini 5-Zip cannot hold a lot. so, if you use to have a lot of stuff, i'd say a MAM is better. but perhaps sometimes you just go to the supermarket or mall to get something or have a hair cut or something, i think a mini 5-Zip will do the job well. it can hold a small wallet, keys, a pouch and a phone. i hope i am making sense :smile:

as for the price, when they are on sale, some MAMs can dive into 196$ (that is what i find on Amazon) and it retails for 495$. a mini 5-Zip can go down to 137$ on RM.com and it retails for 195$. so, you can see the stores usually give a bigger discount for MAMs.

Last edited:
My first RM was an MAM-
I loved the face that it carried a lot without looking bulky- or luggage like.
That being said, I usually use a MAC (full-sized, not mini) to work almost daily...the MAC holds my wallet, phone, flat cosmetic kit, sunglasses, and miscellaneous things- mints, etc. comfortably.
Perhaps you could consider a full-sized MAC? :smile:

My first RM was a MAM. I bought it pre-loved in the summer of '08 and it has been my hands-down-favorite bag ever since. After 5 years of heavy wear, it still looks fabulous and has really become part of my fashion "uniform", if that makes sense. That said, I adore the look of the 5-zip and will be looking to pick one up eventually. Personally, I find the MAM and the 5-zip to be very very different, style- and function-wise. The MAM is ideal for an everyday workhorse bag, whereas the 5-zip is the perfect trendy going out bag. I think you could easily justify getting both (over the course of a few months; I understand only being able to swing one at a time :smile:) but for your very first RM, you should go with the one that makes your heart sing. That's what'll draw you back in to the brand. :graucho: Just my two cents!

If you can handle a small bag, I would do the mini 5 zip. That is my favorite, and I have quite a few different RM styles. Are you thinking about the mini or the full size 5 zip? I have never seen a full size in real life. Sadly I came late to RM, and they don't make the full size anymore. I am not very savvy on the preloved side of things. Good luck with your first purchase. I have not had one yet I am sorry to have purchased. I hope you love whatever you get, and proudly display your pics when you get it!

Oooh I think you should check out the Port colored mini 5-zips that popped up at the Nordies Sale... I think there are pics somewhere around here!! I'll see if I can find one. It's super gorgeous and sounds right up your alley...

Here's the pic I was thinking of!! Aren't these colors yummy?? I'm a little obsessed with the taupe one...

Attachments

• 2257162d1373844013-rm-5-zip-club-_8015005.jpg
    2257162d1373844013-rm-5-zip-club-_8015005.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 388
Last edited: