LV made in India?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are lots of bags made in Asian countries, I'd like to know whether they would be getting paid anymore if they were making LV bags.

Your answer of 'that is why I spend that much on my bags, it is made Asian countries btw' is quite flawed in my opinion - because you don't have to spend that much on bags to help Asian workers. And wouldn't you buy LV anyway, if its manufacturing remained in France/Italy/America? So its possible-Asian-manufacturing-origin is not in fact 'why you spend that much on bags'.

I don't mean to come across as rude in any way, that is just my opinion on your post.

i don't think the fact they would be making bags in india would deter me, if they were exploiting workers, that's a different story. I mean, how many other companies that we all probably have products from outsource to India (cell phone companies are a big one...)? Have we stopped using them?

I don't believe that made in India will automatically equal lower quality. However, my beef is that with an Indian manufacturing plant, LV's costs would go down, but do you think they would pass these savings onto the consumer? Not likely! Despite it costing them significantly less to make their products, we would probably continue to be subjected to these ridiculous price increases. Heck, Coach bags are made in China, but some of them are almost $700 now! Ridiculous!

I don't think that this necessarily means less quality but it definetely means a hugely bigger profit for LV especially with all the yearly price increases. For me it means that I don't buy anymore from LV as I feel quite ripped off if a designer company manufacture in a cheap country and I still pay 1000€ for a bag, sorry not for me.

two words: BIG MISTAKE

although i woulddn't mind if they open up a textile manufacturing plant in India where most of the beautiful hand-beaded fabrics come from. otherwise, they might as well have a twice yearly sale like the rest of 'em.

Nice catch, medhavini. I wonder if they're fully going to outsource now, making certain pieces in certain locations and not fully assembling it in one location anymore.

Personally, I'm not as concerned about the quality diminishing. In the industry I work in, I regularly see the work of an Indian company we outsource to (granted it's high tech) and the quality is awesome.

What would peeve me, is knowing that they are reducing manufacturing costs while continuing to jack up prices. At some point, the greed factor will annoy me. In addition, I like the whole French luxury goods aspect. Therefore, the prospect of it being labeled Made in India unnerves me. Before someone hops on me for being against Indian items, please see my first paragraph! :smile:

Btw, when I got my Lexus I wanted one "Made in Japan" not "Made in Canada" because I love the Japanese mfg quality. I use this to illustrate that I, probably like others, have the perception of certain goods being made better in some areas than others. Now when I want poutine (and ice hockey talent) it's Canada all the way baby. LOL

Personally if this happens, I may become pickier on choosing where my bag was made...but this is solely because the workers are underpaid and overworked. I doubt quality control will be an issue, but I just have problems with companies outsourcing labor to save big money & then still charging the same prices.
I remember when I bought my VW Beetle and it said "Made in Mexico" on the body and "made in Germany" on the engine. It should have been cheaper since Mexican auto workers make a fraction of what their European & US/Canadian workers do....but alas it wasn't. I guess over time I got over it because I had absolutely no problems with my vehicle.
Sorry for the silly comparison!

I'm going to just throw this out there because I was born in India and lived there when I was young. It's been my experience that Indian workers are far more hardworking than the French. I don't think quality will go down in any way.

I am concerned about price point though and would be very concerned about what kind of wage they pay. This could be a wonderful living wage for a lot of people in India, to feed their families, etc. The people in India, by and large, are very well educated (indeed, their schools are better than the schools in North Carolina in terms of math, science, humanities, history). It's immportant to remember that while the wage may seem very low to us, the cost of living is far lower as well. If they pay a decent living wage, please realize this could save lives, families, provide schooling for children, etc.

Indian people have a VERY strong work ethic when they are able to get jobs (my father was a surgical missionary there). I would venture to say their work ethic is far stronger than the typical work ethic for the French. Please don't judge an entire country.

I do realize that the price increases have been terrible lately for LV; perhaps this might help with the 3 increases in a year thing . . . perhaps not. We wouldn't love LV as much if the luxury wasn't associated with it (if we're honest).

Don't necessarily assume though that there is an automatic exploitation of workers. What you may have is families and lives changed and made better by having a job that can support your family, send your children to school, etc.

As far as exploitation too, most LV SAs that I know have second jobs due to the fact that the wages they are paid are not a living wage. The one I knew in Charlotte prior to my SA now had to quit because her salary could be higher working as a legal assistant.

The poverty in India is terrible. The thought of people having money to care for their families, get health care, schooling, etc., (for someone who has lived there and seen the poverty first hand) might be a really wonderful thing for some of these people.

I know the outsourcing for cell phones has changed the lives of Indian woman tremendously for the better. They have more say in their lives, more power, less need to marry young for money. While we tend to look at this as a sweatshop type thing, most LV factories are clean, bright and well-maintained. The cell phone companies in India have really nice working conditions for their employees (by and large) and it is a godsend to them. India and China, while both being in Asia, per se, are VERY different countries.

Status
Not open for further replies.