LV - cheaper in US or London?

Irissy said:
My cousin in Texas told me that they have a "duty-free" day once a year and that's when everyone dash to the LV stores to stock up on their fav LVs. Lucky them! I wish CA have such a day too... :shame:

I live in Texas and tax-free weekdn is only valid on items under a $100. Definetly not LV!

reniestar said:
I live in Texas and tax-free weekdn is only valid on items under a $100. Definetly not LV!

You gotta be kidding me - under $100!!!!! What the hell does that buy nowadays ... seriously!?!?! Our tax-free day (in MASS) is up to $2100 ... so you can get at least 1 of the higher-end LV bags (or a couple if you do the Speedy's)!!!!

I think the tax-free weeks are intended for people of lower means buying staples. In NY its always right before school starts. $100 can buy virtually one of anything a kid needs if you aren't insisting on going 'designer'. Each item has to be under the limit (NY is weird, its like $185 or something). You can stock up at Gap for the kiddies. I don't know if the intention was to add to your LV collection.

Chaneller said:
LV bags are the cheapest in every Euro (EUR, €) currency country, that's the information I got at the LV store in Paris.

Hrm.. if that's true, the UK's decision to keep the GBP rather than cede to the Euro would make for some very angry, English, Louis Vuitton fans ! :lol:

i was looking at the speedy 25 in epi, which cost US$820 on eluxury, and when i called up the london store, it is 440pounds, with the larger speedy 30 at 465pounds... surprisingly, it seem to cost less in London! at least using the exchange rate on xe.com.. i was really surprised! but i think paris is still the best bet!

Think about it...either the bags could be priced the same either before or after taxes but not both -- tax rates aren't the same all over the world. So, if a NYC resident pays (let's say) $1,000 for a bag including tax and a Paris resident pays $1,000 for the same bag, its cheaper to buy it in Paris and bring it home because YOU GET THE TAX BACK. Its not a question of cheaper necessarily, its a question of what kind of effective discount you get for doing your own importation.

What about customs? I thought that customs will tax you when you bring back an expensive item, like an LV? It's been awhile since I went to Europe, so what is the personal spending limit now?

Also, I believe that Alaska has no sales tax at all. We were there a few years ago and I bought a really nice woolen sweater at Pia's in Anchorage and no tax.;)

Eluxury doesn't charge tax unless you live in TN or CA.

We were in Thailand 18 months ago and even with the VAT, the LV retail price was higher than here in the US.:confused1:

compared to the US LV in london is only about $10 less when including the UK tax. a speedy 30 is £310.
if your shopping in the UK try to get a credit card that gives you the exchange rate for the day you purchase not the day of the bill. i did that when i went to NY and i got an exchange rate against the pound of 1.94. if i exchanged cash i was only getting a rate of 1.87 at the most.
every thing in the UK is expensive compared to the US though. and london is the most expensive place in the UK. i paid £16.50 for a bottle of cheap white wine in a restaurant that i know i could have got for £4 in tescos.