Lv bag better investment than jewelry?

Jewelry for the most part is marked up over 100% in retail. If you buy a diamond ring at retail for 10,000.00 you will never get 10k back if you pawn it and I highly doubt you'd get 10k or even close back if you did it private sale - even if it was branded "Tiffany".

Gold & platinum have varying values by weight. Unless it's a very weighty piece that wasn't marked up by much, I'd say it's a bad investment. Loose diamonds can hold & gain value, but of course that depends on what you have to pay for them.

I don't see luxury handbags as an investment, though I have resold some of my LVs it was never at what I purchased them for, close, but My opinion is investments are supposed to gain/retain value for the future, not lose value. There's always risk but a used Luxury handbag will almost* always be worth less than what you originally paid.

When i started this thread, i had a feeling My hubby and i passed the exam so I was thinking of what I would like him to buy for me...but now its official finally! I did check louis vuitton first. I was thinking if I should finally get the eva like what I want before but then I remembered I just had my PH recently. Besides, i felt that if I had to buy something to remind us of our accomplishment, I would rather choose a ring over a bag anytime. Maybe its not an investment but I think jewelry would lasts more than the bag and it would be nice to have something in my finger I could use everyday. Bags I only use occasionally but this one a lot more. So there..I chose the cartier trinity ring...

Congrats! I agree the ring was the right choice for a special milestone. That's why there are wedding & anniversary rings, not so much bags :smile:

Unless it's a Birkin, resale value on bags is not that good. I would go for the jewelry. Also, luxury items are not really investments. Unless it's high end real estate or stocks, I wouldn't look at it as an investment with a return. Just an investment into something you loved...just like a car! ;)

This an old thread but let's get this straight handbags are not investments. Yes they have good resale value depending on the designer but that's it.

Be Blessed MoNikki

If you have the trinity ring, you'll probably want to keep it; bags will cycle in and out, most likely. The trinity ring has price increases and can be polished when it gets old; with bags, you really don't know what could happen (scratch, etc.). So it's a draw for me. I wouldn't look at them as investments, either.

OP I am a bag lady through and through, but take it from an investor, jewelry (especially gold!) will never lose its value. And contrary to what you might think, gold is not depreciating, it is always a great hedge against inflation. Investment-wise or resale-wise, I'd go with gold over a handbag any day. It can always be melted and remade into something new, not particularly so for a handbag! :P

Even though I do not buy either for resale purposes...I would choose branded jewelry (Tiffany,VCA,Cartier) over branded handbag.....I say that now that my handbag collection is complete ;)

After acquiring 3 LV bags i felt like Im done with my purse collection..i was really leaning on a new bag but on the last minute decided on the cartier trinity ring..my hubby told me it was the right choice...I'm not thinking of it as an investment either but just think of it as something ill get to enjoy in a long time...my gosh, i finally have a cartier!

Neither LV nor jewelry would be considered an investment. I have multiple rings, and there is no way I can sell them. Buyers are only interested in the gold value, not the emeralds, sapphires, rubies, and diamonds!

After acquiring 3 LV bags i felt like Im done with my purse collection..i was really leaning on a new bag but on the last minute decided on the cartier trinity ring..my hubby told me it was the right choice...I'm not thinking of it as an investment either but just think of it as something ill get to enjoy in a long time...my gosh, i finally have a cartier!

Awwww congrats!! Acquiring that first cartier piece is very special :smile:

That's true! Get something that you will definitely enjoy over time :smile: Get real investments as investments and make them work for you. Treat jewelry or a new handbag as exactly that...a beautiful treat for yourself :smile: Enjoy!