LV Alma PM Black Malletage: Reveal and Review

Passerine123

Sep 21, 2014
For some time, I had been an admirer of the Alma in Malletage, however the only version I saw in stores was the BB in navy; that was just a little too small. I finally talked to my local LV SA in early December about getting the PM in black Malletage. I thought it would simply be a matter of going to a different boutique to pick it up, which is what I did for my V Tote MM in Bordeaux. As it turned out there were very few around and the nearest LV store that had one in stock was in Milan (I live in northern Switzerland). She was able to order it from Paris but said that it would take about two weeks to arrive -- things were backed up due to the holiday shopping season.

FWIW, here is the listing for the bag on the LV French site: https://fr.louisvuitton.com/fra-fr/produits/sac-alma-pm-malletage-nvprod4540072v/M23688 I was slightly miffed that the Swiss price was higher than the French euro price, as the franc is currently stronger than the euro but ... whatever. Delivery took a few days longer than expected but it did arrive before Christmas (in time for it to be packaged in the holiday shopping bag :smile: ). Next are the unboxing photos and an early review.

Last edited:
Next the dust bag. I have read some TPFers not wanting all the tissue paper etc and this purchase came with very little of that. Instead there was the main dust bag (shown here). Inside the Alma there was another smaller dust bag with air pillows instead of rolled up paper. I like this packaging better as I can use the internal dust bag for smaller bags if wanted/needed -- while traveling, for example.
malletage dust bag.jpg

Initial review (I have not used it much due to weird weather):

Do I like the bag and am I glad I bought it? YES

Was it flawless (as I expected for the price): Well...no

What was less than perfect? This is not a flaw per se, but the shoulder strap was slightly thinner and more delicate than I expected. Fortunately, I just switched to my V Tote MM's strap, which is a sturdier version of the same strap. As for actual flaws, in the lower left hand corner of the bag, there is an indent in the quilting. It's not a big deal and it is perfect on the other side. It's not something I would return the bag for, but I do think it shouldn't be there.

malletage bag 1.jpg

Final rating: I give this bag 8.5/10. I have no regrets about buying it and am happy to carry it. When I went to pick it up and modeled it around the store in mid-December, I saw several customers and staff eyeing it with keen interest. It's definitely not a bag you see everywhere! And I don't expect it to go out of style anytime soon.

The staff were very helpful and on the day of pick-up gave me several samples of different LV perfumes. Regrettably, none of them really appealed, but I appreciated the gesture.

What was less than perfect? This is not a flaw per se, but the shoulder strap was slightly thinner and more delicate than I expected. Fortunately, I just switched to my V Tote MM's strap, which is a sturdier version of the same strap. As for actual flaws, in the lower left hand corner of the bag, there is an indent in the quilting. It's not a big deal and it is perfect on the other side. It's not something I would return the bag for, but I do think it shouldn't be there.

View attachment 5934944
You mentioned the weather as being factor that is holding you back from using your new alma. I want to reassure you that the leather is much heartier than you may think. I have been rocking the pico go-14 that has the same malletage lambskin as your bag ever since I got it in December ( it is truly winter here) and thankfully the bag truly has weathered the elements! Enjoy and wear your beautiful bag without worry :flowers:

Thank you all for your comments :heart:. @blushnbellinlvoe, I'm glad to hear the bag is durable! :flowers: Have you done a post about your pico go-14? However, the reason I haven't taken it out much in the weird weather (rain, wind, sleet) was less about the bag and more about me being lazy and just deciding to stay home. It will be coming with me on an upcoming trip to Zurich and Lugano (it's a great bag for spending an afternoon at Foxtown!).

Thank you all for your comments :heart:. @blushnbellinlvoe, I'm glad to hear the bag is durable! :flowers: Have you done a post about your pico go-14? However, the reason I haven't taken it out much in the weird weather (rain, wind, sleet) was less about the bag and more about me being lazy and just deciding to stay home. It will be coming with me on an upcoming trip to Zurich and Lugano (it's a great bag for spending an afternoon at Foxtown!).
LOL I have not made a separate post about the bag except mentioning it in another thread regarding leathers because, like you, I am being lazy too! Have a good trip rocking your Alma :biggrin:

View attachment 5934944
Such a stunning Alma, enjoy her!

Reactions: Passerine123