Luggage advice needed please, esp. the Horizon 55

ODEDIHAIMS

Apr 13, 2015
I am considering the Horizon 50 or 55 rolling luggage. There are many more colors of Epi to choose from as well as mono eclipse in the 55 size. The LV website says that it is carry on size although it is actually slightly larger than the dimensions listed on many website like Delta, Us, American.....

Have those of you with a 55 size ever had trouble using it a s carry on?

Also, is mono eclipse suitable for a woman to carry?
TIA

I have the Horizon 55 and although I haven't travelled with it yet (I can't fly yet because of a sinus surgery, but I am dying to use this thing!! :smile:. I can't speak exactly to what each airline might allow, but I took pics in a recent reveal (if you search the LV forum page you'll find it... I posted like 30 pics) next to a carry-on bag that I have taken on several airlines. As you can see, the 55 is just as tall and wide as this samsonite. I've taken the turquoise samsonite on Virgin, Southwest and American Airlines in the past with zero issues. I will update the forum as soon as I use my Horizon, but I hope these images and this info helps. BTW, the bag is gorgeous and hold so much! I packed it full just to check the capacity and it's impressive. Good luck! OH, and as for the eclipse for women, I say GO FOR IT! I carry my eclipse messenger bag almost every day and I love it. I get tons of compliments! IMG_1487565248.186613.jpgIMG_1487565262.704360.jpgIMG_1487565270.184874.jpg

Thank you so much. I saw your reveal last night. Wonderful pictures. It definitely helps to see all the various angles. I would love to see a mod shot of your eclipse messenger if you wouldn't mind. Also, do you normally travel in the regular cabin or in the upgraded parts of the plane, if you don't mind me asking.

Lastly, what are your thoughts about which color. I love the eclipse but I don't normally carry bags with obvious logos. I was never a fan of the Damier but in the damier graphite looks nice. Also loving the Epi colors but not the price difference. Was considering Epi in black, light blue or dark blue, possibly red. Sorry for asking so much.

I have the Horizon 55 and although I haven't travelled with it yet (I can't fly yet because of a sinus surgery, but I am dying to use this thing!! :smile:. I can't speak exactly to what each airline might allow, but I took pics in a recent reveal (if you search the LV forum page you'll find it... I posted like 30 pics) next to a carry-on bag that I have taken on several airlines. As you can see, the 55 is just as tall and wide as this samsonite. I've taken the turquoise samsonite on Virgin, Southwest and American Airlines in the past with zero issues. I will update the forum as soon as I use my Horizon, but I hope these images and this info helps. BTW, the bag is gorgeous and hold so much! I packed it full just to check the capacity and it's impressive. Good luck! OH, and as for the eclipse for women, I say GO FOR IT! I carry my eclipse messenger bag almost every day and I love it. I get tons of compliments! View attachment 3611018View attachment 3611019View attachment 3611020

I don't mind the questions, we are all here to help each other! :smile:. I usually travel first class, but when I travel coach, I usually board first because of Platinum or Gold airline status. Boarding first usually makes sure there's a good chance you will get overhead space and never have to check it.
I love all of the LV prints, but I've gotten 3 Eclipse pieces lately, so I guess you can say it's my new favorite. The only Epi I have is an LV Denim Twist and I love it, but generally Epi is not my choice. You gotta buy whichever makes your heart sing !
I did a reveal of the messenger in august, with what fits in it etc. you can look it up if you're curious about the details.
Here are a couple of shots. Good luck on your new items! Keep us posted on what you choose! IMG_1487806899.402290.jpgIMG_1487806909.925213.jpg

On a full flight you're gonna have issues.

Just yesterday I was forced to check in my Gucci travel bag that has same dimensions as they Bandouliere 50. Was a Delta flight. I was stressed about it the entire time
I had a connecting flight. In between flights I went to luggage department and was able to retrieve my bag and carry it on the 2nd leg.

Reactions: HollyHoHighly
I don't mind the questions, we are all here to help each other! :smile:. I usually travel first class, but when I travel coach, I usually board first because of Platinum or Gold airline status. Boarding first usually makes sure there's a good chance you will get overhead space and never have to check it.
I love all of the LV prints, but I've gotten 3 Eclipse pieces lately, so I guess you can say it's my new favorite. The only Epi I have is an LV Denim Twist and I love it, but generally Epi is not my choice. You gotta buy whichever makes your heart sing !
I did a reveal of the messenger in august, with what fits in it etc. you can look it up if you're curious about the details.
Here are a couple of shots. Good luck on your new items! Keep us posted on what you choose! View attachment 3613599View attachment 3613600

Thanks again! These pictures are great. Your messenger looks awesome on you. I usually fly coach and I have had to gate check my bags before due to the bins being full so that is a serious concern for me. I DO NOT want to ever have to check this bag! I was able to go to LV recently and see them in person. They had the Fuschia Epi version on the floor. It was stunning. In the end, I came home with the Eclipse!!! Seeing it in person sealed the deal. I love it!!!
I may not take it on every flight though......unless I am in an early boarding group. I'm already thinking about adding a keepall 45 in eclipse for Mother's Day.

Just yesterday I was forced to check in my Gucci travel bag that has same dimensions as they Bandouliere 50. Was a Delta flight. I was stressed about it the entire time
I had a connecting flight. In between flights I went to luggage department and was able to retrieve my bag and carry it on the 2nd leg.

This is my fear! Was your bag ok?

Thanks again! These pictures are great. Your messenger looks awesome on you. I usually fly coach and I have had to gate check my bags before due to the bins being full so that is a serious concern for me. I DO NOT want to ever have to check this bag! I was able to go to LV recently and see them in person. They had the Fuschia Epi version on the floor. It was stunning. In the end, I came home with the Eclipse!!! Seeing it in person sealed the deal. I love it!!!
I may not take it on every flight though......unless I am in an early boarding group. I'm already thinking about adding a keepall 45 in eclipse for Mother's Day.

Yes. It was. But I believe my diligence in going to retrieve it before letting it be transferred to connecting flight was helpful in mitigating damage

Thank God your bag was ok! So glD you were able to get it on the second leg. I love the Gucci Travel bags! Post a pic, we'd love to see :smile:

Hello I've had the Horizon 50 in the monogram canvas for several months now and have travelled on a wide range of airlines which have thankfully never asked me to check it in. I think I'd probably skip that flight if I was asked to lol.

It's a perfect carry on case, I've done a more detailed review of mine (pros and cons) and the Brics Bellagio case. If you would like to check it out the link is here:

I think as long as you are always in the first few groups to board, you will be fine. If you are consistently late for boarding or always in the last group, I wouldn’t bring your horizon as you may have to gate check. I typically fly in business domestically and have never ever had to gate check any carry on unless I’m flying to regional airport in a small plane, in that case, i use carry on from Target.

Unless you fly Premium/Business/First, you may have an issue. Flights are often full (or even oversold) these days and many Economy passengers are forced to gate check their rolling carryons. This also really depends on the kind of planes you are most often flying. Large planes are more likely to have room for most of the carryon luggage brought on board, even in Economy. Regional jets: you're out of luck much faster.

i agree with fabuleux.
if you‘re not rich and famous :smile: and have to check in your luggage, a horizon 70 (with shelter) and a smaller carry on (45 or 50) will be the better choice.