Lt. Colonel Johnny Thompson of the Scots Guards and Handsome Men In Kilts **Appreciation Thread

Yes, Equerries receive medals for special service to the Crown. There are various levels of award medals an Equerry can receive. Hoping Jonny receives the highest level considering he served as Equerry to Prince Charles and King Charles. Not to mention all of the events he was involved in during Charles' transition to King, the late Queen's funeral, Coronation, etc.
Yet we've never seen those recent medals being handed to Jonny in any ceremony - or any ceremony being held by the RRS for the group of Officers including Jonny who were promoted to Lt. Colonel around December '23. I'd have thought that it would have been carried out in a formal way.
Last July the King carried out investitures at Holyrood Palace, though if he carries out any military ones concerning the RRS perhaps it would be at Edinburgh Castle. I don't know, intriguing.

Yet we've never seen those recent medals being handed to Jonny in any ceremony - or any ceremony being held by the RRS for the group of Officers including Jonny who were promoted to Lt. Colonel around December '23. I'd have thought that it would have been carried out in a formal way.
Last July the King carried out investitures at Holyrood Palace, though if he carries out any military ones concerning the RRS perhaps it would be at Edinburgh Castle. I don't know, intriguing.
I remember hearing in an official Royal YouTube video about the Royal investitures, that videos are automatically recorded and archived for all of them. Also, family and friends are invited into the room to observe.

The recipient has to approve release of the video footage for the public. We have all seen such videos on YouTube and the BP website. We have even seen Jonny in the room, handing a sword to the king and doing other things during investitures

I wonder if LtCol Thompson will allow his own investiture video to be made public when time comes for him to receive his medal for his service as Equerry.

I do not know what I am talking about with my next comment ... but perhaps there may be some sort of military guidelines about this and ceremonies such as LtCol Thompson's promotion to LtCol and his receiving other awards and medals may not be allowed to be seen by the general public. Military only. Just my thoughts as I have no way to know if this is true.

1716318044762.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Sambi24 and SifR8
I remember hearing in an official Royal YouTube video about the Royal investitures, that videos are automatically recorded and archived for all of them. Also, family and friends are invited into the room to observe.

The recipient has to approve release of the video footage for the public. We have all seen such videos on YouTube and the BP website. We have even seen Jonny in the room, handing a sword to the king and doing other things during investitures

I wonder if LtCol Thompson will allow his own investiture video to be made public when time comes for him to receive his medal for his service as Equerry.

I do not know what I am talking about with my next comment ... but perhaps there may be some sort of military guidelines about this and ceremonies such as LtCol Thompson's promotion to LtCol and his receiving other awards and medals may not be allowed to be seen by the general public. Military only. Just my thoughts as I have no way to know if this is true.

View attachment 6005171
Yes, I see - Jonny may not want the video made public if he had family and friends also appearing in it.
In the past I've seen photos of him handing out honours to one or more of his men, and in one case receiving one from someone in the military, presumably his O.C. at the time. They stood outside, shaking hands, it didn't look very formal.
Last year, September ? when the King presented medals to members of the Lonachs he stood outside Balmoral Castle facing them as they lined in formation in front of him. I think they had friends and family there - I found 3 photos of the occasion on X ( one with Jonny ) but we couldn't locate them to post here.
( See p. 254 at #3798 for a description of the occasion )

Last edited:
Reactions: lizle
Yes, I see - Jonny may not want the video made public if he had family and friends also appearing in it.
In the past I've seen photos of him handing out honours to one or more of his men, and in one case receiving one from someone in the military, presumably his O.C. at the time. They stood outside, shaking hands, it didn't look very formal.
Last year, September ? when the King presented medals to members of the Lonachs he stood outside Balmoral Castle facing them as they lined in formation in front of him. I think they had friends and family there - I found 3 photos of the occasion on X ( one with Jonny ) but we couldn't locate them to post here.
You are correct, I remember the Lonach presentations by the King at Balmoral.

I have seen several photos of Jonny, on military media pages, handing out various awards to his men. I do not recall seeing Jonny being presented with an award.

Rummaging through my files and came across this nice "action" picture of our Lieutenant Colonel Jonny Thompson ...

View attachment 6005528
Thanks, Lizle - the way he strides out, I'd be running to keep up with him !
No show of Jonny earlier, but word is that the UK Prime Minister is about to call a General Election ( within the next few minutes ). If so, he is required to travel to advise the King : we don't know if Jonny is with him, but someone senior from BP will need to meet his car.
( the reporters could be wrong, but they're all putting forward the same story )

Thanks, Lizle - the way he strides out, I'd be running to keep up with him !
No show of Jonny earlier, but word is that the UK Prime Minister is about to call a General Election ( within the next few minutes ). If so, he is required to travel to advise the King : we don't know if Jonny is with him, but someone senior from BP will need to meet his car.
( the reporters could be wrong, but they're all putting forward the same story )
I agree! I remember seeing Jonny during the Coronation Eve walkabout with the King. As the King was walking back through the Clarence House gates, our Jonny's stride was so long when catching up with the King that no one in the walkabout party could even begin to keep up with him!

There is always a formal greeting for dignitaries but, sadly, it may be the King's new Equerry-in-Waiting. Fingers crossed we might be lucky today and see our Lieutenant Colonel.

Edited to lighten the image because it was in shadows.

1716394826769.png

Last edited:
I agree! I remember seeing Jonny during the Coronation Eve walkabout with the King. As the King was walking back through the Clarence House gates, our Jonny's stride was so long when catching up with the King that no one in the walkabout party could even begin to keep up with him!

There is always a formal greeting for dignitaries but, sadly, it may be the King's new Equerry-in-Waiting. Fingers crossed we might be lucky today and see our Lieutenant Colonel.

View attachment 6005582
I've always loved this photo of Jonny, even though the King's hand slightly obscures his face - but you can still see his wonderful bone structure.
The Prime Minister spoke earlier to the King who granted permission to dissolve Parliament, so no Jonny likely today.
If you check @AlastairBruce on X you'll see him with a kilted equerry - perhaps for the Duke of Edinburgh ?

Last edited:
Reactions: KMC1966 and lizle
View attachment 6005763View attachment 6005764With a General Election being called and a lot of RF events cancelled hopes of seeing our Lt Col soon don’t look good. Looking through RRS Journals I found 2 photos I hadn’t seen before so hope we can all appreciate them to keep us going 🫶❤️
You can also see these pictures on the RRS website. Jonny is featured in 3 pictures under the 'Ceremonial' tab. Jonny has more photos in the Ceremonial Gallery than any other Officer. Jonny's picture is also on the landing page for the section.