Lower Jaw Surgery w/ Orthodontic treatment for Lower Jaw too forward (Prognathia)

I had surgery to correct my under bite, but without orthodontics. I was very pleased with the results, however, I wish I had completed the orthodontic treatment first. Because I didn't I have an "open bite" . I can live with it though.
FYI: I was swollen BIG TIME for at least a month ( it was 10 years ago, so I hope I am remembering correctly), like I didn't want to be seen in public. THen it started to really subside, and I felt human again at about 1 1/2 months. The swelling took about a year to decrease over all

I had surgery to correct my under bite, but without orthodontics. I was very pleased with the results, however, I wish I had completed the orthodontic treatment first. Because I didn't I have an "open bite" . I can live with it though.
FYI: I was swollen BIG TIME for at least a month ( it was 10 years ago, so I hope I am remembering correctly), like I didn't want to be seen in public. THen it started to really subside, and I felt human again at about 1 1/2 months. The swelling took about a year to decrease over all
My cousin had his jaw fixed just last year at a local clinic. If they had more money, they would've went overseas, but then again they thought of functionality more instead of aesthetics. He too had a cross bite. Once his wisdom teeth erupted, he had to take em all out since they were all impacted. That's when they decided realign his jaw to save him from downtime if they were to do it separately. They had the surgery done during summer break and it really was swollen. It looked like he had a severe case of mumps. It subsided around December around 8 months after. I remember not noticing the swelling at our Christmas gathering. But he complains of having numbness though. I guess they severed a nerve or something.