Love a bag but hate the company?

Oh man, reading this broke my heart!! I'm 5'10" and my weight is in the dead center of what the BMI for my height should be, but I'm still afraid to try on clothes at some of these places because unless you're under weight, or a shorter height and a normal weight, it's impossible not to feel like a cow. Glad to hear that you got down to a weight that you're happy with, but I'm bummed that they made you feel so awful about your body- They were probably just cranky because they hadn't had anything to eat in years.

You are so right! :lol:

The idea that someone is not welcome to try on clothing in a store just because of their (perfectly healthy) weight sickens me - everyone, regardless of size, can appreciate beautiful design and be gorgeous.

I used to be a size US 12 and went into a prada shop to try on a coat i saw in their window display, only to be told that "prada didn't want to dress women of my size". Wouldn't a "sorry, we dont have it in that size" suffice?

I was heartbroken from it... but it pushed me to go on the diet i had been contemplaiting for years and years.... and i've now been a size 4-6 for the past 4 yrs, so in the end... i won. But it willl stay like a scar on my heart for forever....

Well my dear, take solace in the fact that these snots are missing out on a whole lotta money. Women who are size 12 and + have money to spend on nice clothes that fit well and Prada/Chanel just aren't going to get any of it. ;)

Oh man, reading this broke my heart!! I'm 5'10" and my weight is in the dead center of what the BMI for my height should be, but I'm still afraid to try on clothes at some of these places because unless you're under weight, or a shorter height and a normal weight, it's impossible not to feel like a cow. Glad to hear that you got down to a weight that you're happy with, but I'm bummed that they made you feel so awful about your body- They were probably just cranky because they hadn't had anything to eat in years.

Hahaha, yes, that might have been it! I wasn't really sad or angry when it happened, actually, i was too shell shocked to really feel anything. I mean, who SAYS that to a person? Is that how that SA would treat people in her personal life, too, is it something she didn't mind saying?

I am a polite person and I do honestly believe in helping eachother out along the way - life is hard enough as it is - and to bring oneself to SAY that to someone they don't even know is just, well, WRONG!

I've never had a bad experience shopping, maybe because I tend to take what I need and I always buy. I only shop to buy, actually, don't try stuff on just to see and contemplate. When I see something my mind is made up and I know whether I will buy. I'm very clear and maybe a bit commanding with the staff (polite at all times) and I don't wait for someone to help me, I walk up to the person and say what I want/need. If I don't need assistance, I make it clear as well.
I don't have designers I refuse to buy due to political reasons, it's up to every company to make it's policy and decide what sort of clientele they want, and up to each and every one of us to decide whether the policy is acceptable or offensive. For me, no plus sizes is a great motivator, and I am extremely careful not to gain weight (I have a genetic predisposition for obesity).

Prada. Miuccia Prada said a couple of things in the past about not designing for certain sizes, and then the whole deal with designing costumes for the Met and refusing to make them large enough for some of the cast really turned me off. First, because I'm in one of those sizes she won't deign to design for and second, size is one of the least important things about opera! Talent should outweigh someone's demands. (yes, they were non-singing parts, but those people had been cast and she said she needed models instead)

I have a few Prada bags, but I don't think I'll buy any more anytime soon on principle.

Prada is never seeing any of my money again.

I used to be a size US 12 and went into a prada shop to try on a coat i saw in their window display, only to be told that "prada didn't want to dress women of my size". Wouldn't a "sorry, we dont have it in that size" suffice?

I was heartbroken from it... but it pushed me to go on the diet i had been contemplaiting for years and years.... and i've now been a size 4-6 for the past 4 yrs, so in the end... i won. But it willl stay like a scar on my heart for forever....

That is rude beyond words. However, good for you on losing the weight and keeping it off.

Prada. Miuccia Prada said a couple of things in the past about not designing for certain sizes, and then the whole deal with designing costumes for the Met and refusing to make them large enough for some of the cast really turned me off. First, because I'm in one of those sizes she won't deign to design for and second, size is one of the least important things about opera! Talent should outweigh someone's demands. (yes, they were non-singing parts, but those people had been cast and she said she needed models instead)

I have a few Prada bags, but I don't think I'll buy any more anytime soon on principle.

Prada is never seeing any of my money again.

:wtf::sick: Prada and Miu Miu won't be seeing any of my money either. Ever. And based on what I've heard of Karl Lagerfeld's comments too, the same probably goes for Chanel, as long as he designs for it...

I too tend to actively avoid giving my money to companies once I learn of disgusting behavior on the part of head designers or owners. I also vote with my wallet in stores where the SAs treat me poorly for no apparent reason (I simply don't return). In fact, I recently stopped buying a brand that I purchased a great deal from for years precisely due to the poor treatment that I received from the company, and that I observed others on tPF receiving as well.

Lo, I completely agree! I never bought another bag from that same company too, and sold the only one that I had, even though I really liked the style and it was one of the more functional bags from that company. (It could actually be worn fairly comfortably on the shoulder, for starters.) There's another company whose CS makes me uncomfortable enough that I will never buy a bag from them either, even though some of the styles do intrigue me. (The general quality, from what I've seen of it, doesn't seem too great either, which makes the CS even more critical.)

Leeleerae, great idea for a thread! :tup: Thanks for starting it!

this is awful!! i own a few Prada items and will not buy another!!!!

While I wasn't writing about Prada, chatter about them has come at the perfect time. This just popped up on Consumerist.com yesterday about the company:
"
Share:
Short URL: http://con.st/10003212 | Add to Favorites |
prada
Lawsuit: Prada Exec Wanted To Eliminate "Old, Fat, Ugly, Disgusting" Employees
By Meg Marco on March 12, 2010 6:14 PM 0 views

(d'n'c)

Here's a guy who sounds like a real lovely person to be around: The CEO of Prada Japan. A lawsuit alleges that he asked an employee to "eliminate" around 15 managerial staff he described as "old, fat, ugly, disgusting or not having the Prada look," following a tour of 40 stores," reports the Telegraph.

The manager who was asked to do this is now suing, claiming that she was told to, "change her hairstyle," and "to lose weight" because the CEO was "ashamed of [her] ugliness, so he doesn't want visitors from Italy to see her."

What a swell place to work. Prada told the Telegraph that it has no comment. "

here is the link

:true:

Everyone has to be the same maximum size, whether they're 4' 9" or 6' 2" and it's a joke, quite frankly. :rolleyes:

If Miuccia Prada doesn't want to dress women over a certain size, doesn't it seem odd that she, apparently, doesn't mind dressing very curvy, petite women; but does mind dressing slim, tall women?

One is, therefore, forced to wonder whether it has less to do with some sort of neurotic, fat aversion and more to do with being stingy with cloth? :graucho:

Last edited:
:true:

Everyone has to be the same maximum size, whether they're 4' 9" or 6' 2" and it's a joke, quite frankly. :rolleyes:

If Miuccia Prada doesn't want to dress women over a certain size, doesn't it seem odd that she, apparently, doesn't mind dressing very curvy, petite women; but does mind dressing slim, tall women?

One is, therefore, forced to wonder whether it has less to do with some sort of neurotic, fat aversion and more to do with being stingy with cloth? :graucho:

See, thats the thing...although my size was a 12, i didnt say that i *AM* 5'10....

^ If you're 5' 10" and not naturally thin, I would say that a size 4 (and probably even a size 6) is too small, Mowcam.

You being a size 4, is probably the equivalent of a 5' 4" girl being a size 0.

Don't starve yourself, will you?

Last edited:
While I wasn't writing about Prada, chatter about them has come at the perfect time. This just popped up on Consumerist.com yesterday about the company:
"
Share:
Short URL: http://con.st/10003212 | Add to Favorites |
prada
Lawsuit: Prada Exec Wanted To Eliminate "Old, Fat, Ugly, Disgusting" Employees
By Meg Marco on March 12, 2010 6:14 PM 0 views

(d'n'c)

Here's a guy who sounds like a real lovely person to be around: The CEO of Prada Japan. A lawsuit alleges that he asked an employee to "eliminate" around 15 managerial staff he described as "old, fat, ugly, disgusting or not having the Prada look," following a tour of 40 stores," reports the Telegraph.

The manager who was asked to do this is now suing, claiming that she was told to, "change her hairstyle," and "to lose weight" because the CEO was "ashamed of [her] ugliness, so he doesn't want visitors from Italy to see her."

What a swell place to work. Prada told the Telegraph that it has no comment. "

here is the link

This is BEYOND DISTURBING. :wtf:

Thanks for posting this, Leeleerae...I have owned a few Prada items in my life, but will not be purchasing any more. NO WAY. :nogood:

Unfortunately for people like us who enjoy fashion, there seem to be a lot of extremely stupid, superficial and awfull people in that industry. They really need to get some perspective on their place in the universe. Yeah, they make us feel temporarily happy by plying us with shiny things, but they don't save lives, educate anyone or really make any kind of meaningfull contribution to the world. I'm just sick of designers, fashion editors, etc being treated like their opinion matters. BTW actors are also on this list, but that's a rant for another day, lol.