louis vutton hawaii duty free or on island?

daveyc3000

Mar 23, 2018
will be in Waikiki

Debating whether to buy an LV bag at duty free or on the island vs buying it in Canada?

The bag I want is roughly $2260 USD; it's $2840 in Canada. The bag in question is the Kensington bowling bag.

Where I think there MAY be savings is in terms of taxes; in Canada, we have 13% sales tax.

The price on the mainland is $2260. However, Hawaii's prices are less. I'm not sure the exact amount, though. I think the sales tax in Hawaii is around 4.18%. I don't know what the duty free pricing is, but hopefully that helps you a little making a decision.
Good luck!

Assuming you're not going to declare your bag at Canadian customs, you should have a slight savings in Hawaii...

CDN$2840 x 1.13 = CDN$3209.20

US$2260 x 1.047 (sales tax) = US$2366.22 x 1.33 (BMO/TD bank's credit card rate today) = CDN$3147.07

BUT you'd also be paying about CDN$400+ in duties if you declare it coming back in.

As a foreigner, I heard you can get LV tax free in Hawaii. Ask the SA in Waikiki store. They should be able to confirm or deny this. LV prices in Hawaii is 10% below what you see on US LV online.