Louis Vuitton and saddle stitching...

modeling4LV

Obsessed! :D
Apr 6, 2012
Through the years of examining and owning LV, I've been made to believe that many leather details on the bag are finished with a saddle stitch. Usually when you think of saddle stitching, you think of hermes (which i think you should), but whenever I look at a toron handle (your typical LV top handle) I see no possible way that it can be done by machine. I also remember seeing a picture of a craftsman assembling toron handles on the forum. My question is if you would consider this saddle stitching... or is it something else? Also, on the little pieces of leather used to fold the neverfull on the leather strings, I also believe there is hand-stitching. Please don't get me wrong, I know the majority is machine. But does anyone have an idea on how much is hand stitching?

But does anyone have an idea on how much is hand stitching?

the saddler stitching on the toron-handles are only the last stitches on each side.
(the ones that go around the leather)
but as far as i know the toron-handles themselves are completely handstitched.

"Saddle stitching" is a specific process involving an awl and two needles. Not all hand sewing of leather is saddle stitching. Unless you know for sure that this specific process is used, you can't say it is saddle stitched, even though it may have been done by hand.

I attended the Speedy Retrospective event couple years ago and met with an artesian from LV factory in California .
The long side of the handle is stitched by machine. If you compare the holes on two sides, you will notice, on one side, the holes are punched in, the other side, the holes are pushed out. The machine stitches into the leather in one direction, so on the other side, the needle comes out from the leather.
However, the little triangle ends of the handle are stitched by hand with two needles, so, both sides of the holes are punched inwards.
This is a picture I took with the artesian. On the left, you can see the handle she was working on with long pieces of thread and needles hanging, and some of her tools on the table.ImageUploadedByPurseForum1375659658.659490.jpg

I attended the Speedy Retrospective event couple years ago and met with an artesian from LV factory in California .
The long side of the handle is stitched by machine. If you compare the holes on two sides, you will notice, on one side, the holes are punched in, the other side, the holes are pushed out. The machine stitches into the leather in one direction, so on the other side, the needle comes out from the leather.
However, the little triangle ends of the handle are stitched by hand with two needles, so, both sides of the holes are punched inwards.
This is a picture I took with the artesian. On the left, you can see the handle she was working on with long pieces of thread and needles hanging, and some of her tools on the table.View attachment 2283133

Oh I love this!! Thank you for this contribution!! :coolpics: