Lost and Found Thread

papertiger

MOD
Authenticator
O.G.
May 23, 2009
Going though 'stuff' tonight I noted my double sided Cd'A scarf ring. Then I thought "Hold on! I thought I tied my Barenia cord to it?" :confused1: as I'd been wearing it as a pendant. I started to frantically search for my Barenia cord :search:

Dug around and opened another box and there was the one I'd tied the cord on. :shocked:

I bought a second because I thought I'd lost the first (in a hotel room). That was more than 10 years ago. I'd literally bought another immediately (after turning the hotel room upside-down) because I couldn't live without it.

So what I'd been doing for 10 years is intermittently, taking one SR at a time, out of the ubiquitous square orange boxes. Putting it back, and then forgetting where the box was exactly, pulling out another when I fancied wearing a scarf ring - from another box, thinking it was the same one, not realising I had two and using each alternatively. I must have not lost the first :cray:

Putting a leather cord on one finally caught my ridiculous 'game'.

IMG_20240128_192931.jpg

Do you have any funny (or not so funny) lost and found stories?

I hear your frustration and commiserate! My memory's not the best at keeping track of where things are too (still searching for my airPods...) I also love this story which highlights how certain items are woven into your life in such a way that it feels odd without it, no matter how small or big they may be. Congrats on being a mommy of two! ;)

I hear your frustration and commiserate! My memory's not the best at keeping track of where things are too (still searching for my airPods...) I also love this story which highlights how certain items are woven into your life in such a way that it feels odd without it, no matter how small or big they may be. Congrats on being a mommy of two! ;)

Thank you. I'm gonna have to find a way of incorporating twin dual-sided Cd'A scarf rings into my wardrobe.

For years I've been cross with myself I lost the first. I even went through my bag in the hotel room x 100, now I am wondering if I imagined taking the darn thing on holiday and had a psychotic H episode. I'll never be sure of anything again.

I hope you find your airPods!!!!

Also a scarf ring I thought I lost... I couldn't find it where I thought I'd left it and recalled I thought I heard something fall in the night and that's consistent with the noise coming from where I thought the scarf ring was. Turned the place upside down in that spot, nothing. Grrrrr. Searched again there later. Nothing. Searched the safe where I keep various things and sometimes my scarf rings, for expressly the reason being at least I know where they are if they're in there. Nothing. Went missing for about 6 months and was contemplating buying another one when I went to get something out of my safe and had noticed a piece of paper had managed to wedge itself between the bottom of the safe and the door, except the paper was half of what I knew it to be (weird).

And then I realized the bottom of my safe was not what I thought it was. There is in fact a "moat" there running inside the whole front of the safe with some sort of vinyl-like 'cushioning' but not enough to plug the gap and stop stuff falling in. I reached around in it and there was the missing scarf ring.

Now that gap is plugged with Hermes receipts, LOLOLOL.

Also a scarf ring I thought I lost... I couldn't find it where I thought I'd left it and recalled I thought I heard something fall in the night and that's consistent with the noise coming from where I thought the scarf ring was. Turned the place upside down in that spot, nothing. Grrrrr. Searched again there later. Nothing. Searched the safe where I keep various things and sometimes my scarf rings, for expressly the reason being at least I know where they are if they're in there. Nothing. Went missing for about 6 months and was contemplating buying another one when I went to get something out of my safe and had noticed a piece of paper had managed to wedge itself between the bottom of the safe and the door, except the paper was half of what I knew it to be (weird).

And then I realized the bottom of my safe was not what I thought it was. There is in fact a "moat" there running inside the whole front of the safe with some sort of vinyl-like 'cushioning' but not enough to plug the gap and stop stuff falling in. I reached around in it and there was the missing scarf ring.

Now that gap is plugged with Hermes receipts, LOLOLOL.

Drat, those scarf rings!!! I'm so pleased you found yours.

They're the perfect 'finishing touch' to some outfits and actually quite useful creating 'bag' handles and impromptu belts, hats and necklaces, especially on holiday, but they're so easy to lose once off.

Reactions: paula24jen
In the past, I’ve bought an extra pair of air pods thinking that I lost them and then finding them in a jacket later.
Same goes for a pair of Ray Bands. Thought I lost them, bought another almost exact pair and found the original ones in a jacket…again. :facepalm:

Now I always check my jackets before hanging them up in the closet lol.

In the past, I’ve bought an extra pair of air pods thinking that I lost them and then finding them in a jacket later.
Same goes for a pair of Ray Bands. Thought I lost them, bought another almost exact pair and found the original ones in a jacket…again. :facepalm:

Now I always check my jackets before hanging them up in the closet lol.

Thanks, you make me feel better!

Those pesky scarf rings - so useful yet so easy to misplace!

A while ago, I had been in a meeting and towards the end of the day decided to take my scarf off, just putting it on the chair next to me. Shortly afterwards I heard something drop on the floor but was in the middle of presenting so couldn’t check, then hurriedly packed up at the end of the day and went home. Cue panic when I unpacked my bag - no Chain d’ancre scarf ring, in a discontinued enamel colour! :amazed:

I hunted high and low at home, got the cleaner and receptionist at the office to have a really good look. Nothing.

A few months later, I pull out my trusty Bolide, and there in the inside pocket was my “missing” scarf ring; joy of joys - found my scarf ring AND had the pleasure of rediscovering my OG Hermes bag…

I’m currently missing a 45 silk that I REALLY love but that’s not as good a story as the story of my late grandmother’s pearls.

My grandparents made one or two “grand tours” to Europe in the 1960s and 1970s (back when travel from Australia to Europe was commonly by sea). They were gone for a few months each time and when they returned from one trip my grandmother couldn’t find a strand of pearls that she had taken on the trip. They searched everywhere but couldn’t find the pearls so eventually gave up after some months and lodged an insurance claim for them.

After my grandmother died in the late 90s my father and his siblings were winding up the estate and dealing with her possessions… and someone found the pearls lodged inside the lining of one of the suitcases she had used on that trip over 20 years before. After much discussion it was decided that as far as my grandmother was concerned the pearls had been permanently lost and in any event there would have been little point in trying to unwind the insurance payout so many years later. So the pearls were given to the youngest grand-daughter, which, sadly, was not me…

Reactions: Mariapia
I lost a dans un jardin enamel bangle. I kept hoping I left it at my other house (in a dry climate), since my usual place has humid, tropical sea air that oxidizes everything. When I went to my other house I checked... and was disappointed to just find a few twillies folded in some small cloth bags. Turns out, I wrapped my bangle IN A DANG TWILLY. Because it was my least used twilly, I didn't discover it for quite some time.

Oh, and @Veritybelle , I almost lost my wedding ring in exactly this fashion. I packed late at night for a very early flight, and woke up to find I didn't have my ring on. I panicked. I missed the flight looking for it, only to find it in the mesh pocket of the suitcase. Glad I didn't have to die to find it.

Reactions: Veritybelle