Books & Music looking for some new reading material

Corrinne

bad spellers untie!
Nov 2, 2006
I just recently started to get back into reading.
books ive enjoyed the most so far are non-fiction like Jen Lancaster's Bitter is the New Black, also I am Just not Myself These Days, and The Idiot Girls Action Adventure Guide (which was hilarious). also the only fiction book
ive read since ive started reading again is Can You Keep a secret? by Spohie Kinsella. I liked that but i just think i like the others a little better.
Anyways, any one have reccomendations? I like to read a bit before going to bed (so nothing scary or sad), i find it helps me to relax a bit and i think i even sleep a little better.

Well, I wouldn't say that it's that relaxing...it's more adventure/suspense/CIA kind of reading but I absolutely LOVE it...Vince Flynn writes amazing books. I'm reading Memorial Day right now and can hardly put it down.

I also just bought the book Marie Antoinnette (however you spell it) - the book that inspired the movie. I'm looking forward to starting that one too.

anything by Jodi Picoult, but my favorites are "My Sister's Keeper" and "A Perfect Match"

Love Jodi Picult, I'm reading Second Glance at the moment, also Anita Shreve, escpecially her early ones, Strange Fits of Passion is excellent.
Paullina Simons is superb and if you want something funny and easy to read there's also Marian Keyes and Kathy Kelly (Irish girls) and Penny Vincenzi:smile:

What about the Temp Brennan crime novels by Cathy Reichs or Kay Scarpetta by Patricia Cornwell both authors and heroines are esay to read, some are a bit scary but entertaining.
I read a lot, actually every free minute. I always carry a book with me therefor I like big bags.
Diary of Bridget Jones is very funny and the Devil wears Prada is o.., too.

i loved bitter is the new black! it started the memoir/non fiction kick i've been on lately. one that seems similar is straight up and dirty by stephanie klein. i love her blog but haven't read her memoir. i'm hoping to get it for christmas. i also liked dry and running with scissors both by augusten borrows. all over but the shouting by rick bragg was beautifully written, but more poingnant than funny.

i also enjoyed the time traveler's wife (:heart:) and the kite runner. i've been rereading the harry potter series most recently. forgot how much i loved it. :smile:

Several recommendations:

If you like Sophie Kinsella, you might like Isabel Wolff or Jennifer Weiner (this is chick lit) I also love Marian Keyes and Anna Maxted, who writes chick lit about 'issues' and may make a more intelligent read.

I strongly recommend Emily Giffin. I loved her books - Something Borowed, Something Blue and Baby Proof.

You might try Janet Evanovitch's Stephanie Plum books (one for the money etc) which are murder mysteries but side splittingly hilarious. I find Patricia Cornwell and especially Kathy Reich rather gruesome. I wouldn't read them if I'm trying to relax before going to bed.

I've been reading The Secret History of the Pink Carnation series since early this summer (There are now three books-one just came out last week). They're a fun combination of chick lit & historical fiction. They're very cute-parts of the books have me laughing out loud.

I actually think the author must be a purse fan. In the latest book, two of the agents names are Dooney and Bourke!:yes: That got a big chuckle out of me!