Looking classy (ideally on a budget)

Good thread!

For me its an outfit that is pulled together, and the little things really matter. Clean, well cut hair in a style that suits you, doesn't have to be fancy. Tidy nails. (painted is personal choice), looked after skin (again, make up is a personal choice), clean shoes that don't have scuffed heels or too worn and battered. Well fitting clothes, a nice scent (personal choice, but definitely makes an impression), and a key accessory or two.

Picking out classic items that work for your style, body shape and lifestyle help pull together outfits too. Perfect jeans, white shirt/top, a cashmere sweater, blazer, a trench coat, perfect heels, flats, day bag etc. A statement bracelet/necklace/scarf/earrings can really elevate an outfit.

Colour is important. The classic black and white does nothing for me, as much as I love it; but neutral tones really suit me, along with a few accent colours in the right shade.

I plan outfits the night before, so I have time to think about what I want to wear, purpose (work, leisure), will I be walking? Need flats? Will it rain? What do I need to carry with me?

I personally like to feel my best even if I am at home, running errands etc, even if just wearing jeans and a t shirt. I'll wear perfume and make up, even if I know I won't see anyone all day. I do it for me. Doesn't mean I judge others who wear sweats etc. Each to their own!

- Does it make sense to splurge on one item (e.g. Chanel bag) if the rest of your wardrobe is quite budget or you don't have the wardrobe to go with it?

Re: this particular question, one of the best investments I made a couple of years ago is a good suit. I hadn't bought a new one in some time, as I don't need to wear suits at my workplace, separates are fine. However, I wanted one good suit for presentations, interviews, and the occasional formal event. I've gotten a lot of mileage out of it already - have also worn it to a memorial service (when you have to travel for something like that, having appropriate attire available makes things a little easier) and the trousers for work and for a family photo. I got mine at Nordstrom - not sure if you are located near one, but it's a great option with some different options at various budgets. Their alterations services are very good also.

Having just one good suit makes me somewhat more motivated to be able to fit into it over time, as I end up using it every few months if not more often.

Reactions: chloe_chanel
I plan outfits the night before, so I have time to think about what I want to wear, purpose (work, leisure), will I be walking? Need flats? Will it rain? What do I need to carry with me?
Wish I were organized enough to do this - I rarely do, but when I do, I feel good the next day as things are ready to go. I remember enjoying planning my next day's outfit in high school. I was much more into trends then, and enjoyed wearing new outfits to school and seeing what others were wearing. Come to think of it, I was definitely much more into clothes then, and less so into accessories. Now that has flipped, and I'm finding fashion less fun now than I did years ago - maybe because I'm focused on accessories and not clothes! You've given me something to think about.

Reactions: Handbag1234
Classy for work on a budget...

You need a crisp white long sleeve button up shirt, a soft blue long sleeve button up, a soft pink long sleeve button up, a cashmere-like sweater in black, beige, blue, winter white. Get a pair of black slacks, gray slacks, navy slacks and a black and/or gray pencil skirt that skirts the knees or goes midi length. Blazers will also work for air-conditioned offices.

For shoes, a well-made pair of ballerina flats, some oxfords (if you're into those), sling-bacj heels, well-made leather pumps.

For jewelry, studs can be pearls/pearl-like, small diamond/cz studs. A nice necklace can also tie things together.

Keep nails low and clean. Keep bright colors to a minimum (depends on office culture). Keep makeup natural (depends on office culture). Keep hair styles and colors conservative (depends on office culture).

Where to shop (on a budget):
Old Navy, J Crew, Banana Republic, Target (yes, Target [emoji38]), the Gap, TJ Maxx/Marshall's, Express, United Colors of Benetton.

Shop for classic-looking pieces. Shop for them on sale by going straight to the sales section in these stores. Don't veer elsewhere or you'll spend more than you want to.

The above is what I did as a young law school student who needed her money for rent, food and drinks, lol!

Favourite photos. These are from the 90's but so clean & contemporary
Totally agree. CBK had impeccable style, and looking back at photos, I see that beautiful classic pieces - wool or cashmere sweaters, black evening gowns, camel and black and navy pieces - were her staples. Her hair always looked great and her makeup was classic as well. Good throwback photos.

Reactions: Plussizegirl
Classy for work on a budget...

You need a crisp white long sleeve button up shirt, a soft blue long sleeve button up, a soft pink long sleeve button up, a cashmere-like sweater in black, beige, blue, winter white. Get a pair of black slacks, gray slacks, navy slacks and a black and/or gray pencil skirt that skirts the knees or goes midi length. Blazers will also work for air-conditioned offices.

For shoes, a well-made pair of ballerina flats, some oxfords (if you're into those), sling-bacj heels, well-made leather pumps.

For jewelry, studs can be pearls/pearl-like, small diamond/cz studs. A nice necklace can also tie things together.

Keep nails low and clean. Keep bright colors to a minimum (depends on office culture). Keep makeup natural (depends on office culture). Keep hair styles and colors conservative (depends on office culture).

Where to shop (on a budget):
Old Navy, J Crew, Banana Republic, Target (yes, Target [emoji38]), the Gap, TJ Maxx/Marshall's, Express, United Colors of Benetton.

Shop for classic-looking pieces. Shop for them on sale by going straight to the sales section in these stores. Don't veer elsewhere or you'll spend more than you want to.

The above is what I did as a young law school student who needed her money for rent, food and drinks, lol!

I agree with this ^^ wholeheartedly and want to add Uniqlo to the list. They have quality, well made clothes that are reasonably priced.

And also, how you carry yourself and your attitude can lend to being classy/sophisticated. No amount of classic pieces of clothes and accessories can cover a mean spirit and rude behavior.

View attachment 4213950 View attachment 4213948 View attachment 4213949 Favourite photos. These are from the 90's but so clean & contemporary

Yes!!!! And another personal favorite, Rene Russo in The Thomas Crown Affair. She is still current so many years later. Write up from our dear Kat99’s blog

http://www.featherfactor.com/2014/04/the-thomas-crown-affair-the-wardrobe.html

Here are my top tips
1) Get a great fitting bra and wear it, and while I am at it, avoid VPL (visible panty line) at all costs

2) Fit matters whether it is a $15 t-shirt or $1500 silk blouse

3) Fabric matters. Not all fast fashion fabrics look cheap, so spend your time looking for things that don’t.... check for easy wrinkling.

4) Consignment shops like therealreal are your friend. Use them for investment pieces and discover you can get new or new with tag items at a fraction of retail for many brands.

Here are my top tips
1) Get a great fitting bra and wear it, and while I am at it, avoid VPL (visible panty line) at all costs

2) Fit matters whether it is a $15 t-shirt or $1500 silk blouse

3) Fabric matters. Not all fast fashion fabrics look cheap, so spend your time looking for things that don’t.... check for easy wrinkling.

4) Consignment shops like therealreal are your friend. Use them for investment pieces and discover you can get new or new with tag items at a fraction of retail for many brands.

Agree with 1.2&3. Not sure about the real real. It does seem overpriced, and there had been doubts about authenticity.

Reactions: chicinthecity777
- If you are on a budget, what are the basic must-haves?
I'm going to be annoying and say "it depends." Basic must-haves for me include collared button-front shirts, cashmere sweaters, blazers, oxfords, and silk scarves. My stylish mother has none of these items. She favors very feminine twin sets, knit jackets, A-line dresses, and ballet flats. What is basic for you? What do you often want to wear? Buy those. But don't spend too much. Basics are easily found. They're like potatoes on a dinner plate: filling and supportive.

- Does it make sense to splurge on one item (e.g. Chanel bag) if the rest of your wardrobe is quite budget or you don't have the wardrobe to go with it?
Maybe. Is the Chanel in line with your sense of style? It might suit your wardrobe, but it might not. I do not carry a Chanel because it doesn't suit me. I have some very low-key Hermes bags because those suit my lifestyle very well in style and function. Some might say my wardrobe doesn't support the bag, but I don't think there's anything wrong with pairing my mostly secondhand clothes with high end bags. These kinds of accessories and splurge items are the "meats" to your potatoes. Choose good quality items that go well with your basics for a price you can afford. You can have a steak once in a while on a budget.

- Especially given how casual our lives have become (e.g. athleisure) , how do you look nice on a day to day without looking out of place?
What's your fashion identity? In this day and age, we have athleisure, but we also have boho, avant garde minimalism, hip--hop street style, androgyny, Lolita, menocore, hipster, goth, punk, prep, urban ninjas, vintage... You don't have to fit into any of these categories! How do you want to feel and present yourself to the world?
Choose your "sauce." (This dinner metaphor is getting out of hand).

- How do you build a cohesive wardrobe that lasts but also doesn't look dated?
I think that, to a degree, you can't avoid looking "dated" over time. For example, jeans are "classic", but we had boot cuts and flares for 10 years, then skinny jeans, now high-waisted jeans are in and cuts are all over the place. Maybe you should embrace the idea that your fashion and wardrobe will evolve over time - like you! That's okay. But what you love now and wear it until the end of its useful life. Your wardrobe will evolve naturally.

I think "class" comes down to having self-worth and also appreciating the value of others, regardless of socio-economic status. To paraphrase Kipling, it's the quality that could allows you to walk with kings and common men. And the way you do that is to have a deep understanding of self (in fashion or otherwise).

ITA with doloresmia good fitting undergarments are a must both for top and bottom seeing VPL is not classy, spilling out of a bra or backfat rolls because your band is too small again not classy. Fit is the most important factor in dressing well. Learn what cuts/styles work for your body type and stick to them. For example I’m a size 12-14 and large busted wearing fitted tops look better on me than over sized shirt which look like dumpy potato sacks on my body type. Fabric content is important as well some wear better than others, and price wise I can’t justify triple digit prices for something that isn’t quality materials. Color wise I know people always say wear neutrals but honestly go for what colors look best on you. Whites and beiges don’t work for me they wash me out, but jewel tones like burgundy and emerald greens really work on me. I’m pretty lazy so I don’t wear makeup or really style my hair. But I will say neat nails are a great finishing touch nothing looks more sloppy than peeling nail polish/uneven nails. Sure everyone breaks a nail but you know what I’m talking about.

Fabric content is important as well some wear better than others, and price wise I can’t justify triple digit prices for something that isn’t quality materials. Color wise I know people always say wear neutrals but honestly go for what colors look best on you. Whites and beiges don’t work for me they wash me out, but jewel tones like burgundy and emerald greens really work on me. I’m pretty lazy so I don’t wear makeup or really style my hair. But I will say neat nails are a great finishing touch nothing looks more sloppy than peeling nail polish/uneven nails. Sure everyone breaks a nail but you know what I’m talking about.
This!

Agree with 1.2&3. Not sure about the real real. It does seem overpriced, and there had been doubts about authenticity.
For second-hand designer shopping, I have found their pricing much better than eBay in many cases, and they take returns unlike most eBay sellers. I've gotten some lovely things there (and returned some others, but that's not different from any other online shopping).

Reactions: ladysarah