Look at what I found at Target! Look familiar?

I think the fact that they are doing this is a great business move. They are able to offer customers the "hot" looks, without having to pay so much money. I actually like the pleats...

Trahnee, I'm with Nobodypanic in that I don't think you should leave. I enjoy your posts, including this one. You were simply sharing something that caught your eye and knew that some of us fellow tPFers would find interesting...and given the responses, some of us did. No group of people, including us on this forum, are going to agree on anything 100%. That would be group think, which is scary under any circumstances. Thanks for the spy pic and pleeze don't go. And btw...I laughed so hard at the Tarlianne comment :yes: I shared it with the hubby and even he appreciated the clever play on the name, lol.

Last edited:
I don't see anything wrong with this thread and I don't mind these threads showing up over and over... I find it amusing to look at other "designer inspired coach" items, and I like to remind myself that I have beautiful real coaches sitting in my closet. Threre's nothing wrong with that, so why does somebody need to criticize this? I'd post the same pic if I'd seen it in my target, you'd think that we can have a good laugh over here at tpf, or not necessary laugh, but a REMINDER that we have nice coach bags with REAL leather to treasure... other brands amuse me and i don't get upset about copy-right stuff, it's coahc's issue- not mine. why worry about something that's so minor? I like the thread and pic, don't leave thranee, threre's nothing wrong with your post!

Besides- somebody may really like this style and can't afford the $400 bag, so why not this one? Target cracks me up. I do see coach "copying" other designers as well, and it makes me laugh how tight some people see things. I'd say open a special category for "this is what target had this week" so we can all have a peek, I like it! It reminds me to be thankful! I love browsing any bags, if it's target or nordies, it dosen't have to be coach alone...

Lol it makes me think of how before this forum, I'd see bags like this at target or wherever and I'd say something to a friend who didn't even know what I was talking about. I was always thinking to myself "If only there was someone who understood!" Thats what tPF is for!

Its like how when you're an expert in something, you can point out flaws that others can't spot. I work in video editing and every now and again on TV I'll see a commercial that totally runs off the screen and I chuckle to myself about how they didn't use safe title area. Most people do not care, so I need to call up some of my old school friends to talk about it.

Hopefully in the future we can keep it to a chuckle instead of letting it get overly negative to the point where people are getting hurt :tdown:

I actually checked this bag out today at Target, and I like it! It has an adjustable strap and the smaller handles are longer to where I could get it on my shoulder with the small handles. Good design in my opinion. I would buy it if it were real leather. I think it's a bag that will make many people happy for 22.99 ( I think)

Also this style of bag has been made by many companies, not just coach.

Because Ed Hardy designs are so original and innovative :rolleyes:
LoL you are so funny...that emoti made me crack up...Do you know who Ed Hardy is? He is the innovator! You have to book him years in advance for a tattoo and a minimum session will cost you $30k. He doesn't just have a line of t-shirts and handbags. All the images on the bags are from his flash. : )

Ps I went and looked at the target bag too. Wasn't so bad for a Target bag and at $22.99?. I'm not into pleather but I did consider using it for school work (the gray wasn't so bad). but the hardware didn't look like it would hold the weight of me carrying around work for 25 kids. lol

Last edited:
LoL you are so funny...that emoti made me crack up...Do you know who Ed Hardy is? He is the innovator! You have to book him years in advance for a tattoo and a minimum session will cost you $30k. He doesn't just have a line of t-shirts and handbags. All the images on the bags are from his flash. : )

Ps I went and looked at the target bag too. Wasn't so bad for a Target bag and at $22.99?. I'm not into pleather but I did consider using it for school work (the gray wasn't so bad). but the hardware didn't look like it would hold the weight of me carrying around work for 25 kids. lol

Actually, I know a lot about tattoos (having an enthusiast for a boyfriend you learn a lot) and I appreciate and respect Ed Hardy. That doesn't mean his designs are completely original. He operates within an aesthetic of design that has been around for a very very long time. I don't believe he actually does tattoos anymore though. I didn't mean to make it about Ed Hardy. I just meant to say that everyone is influenced by someone. I didn't mean to offend. It was, however, innovative to bring that aesthetic into mainstream fashion. I will admit that much.

Actually, I know a lot about tattoos (having an enthusiast for a boyfriend you learn a lot) and I appreciate and respect Ed Hardy. That doesn't mean his designs are completely original. He operates within an aesthetic of design that has been around for a very very long time. I don't believe he actually does tattoos anymore though. I didn't mean to make it about Ed Hardy. I just meant to say that everyone is influenced by someone. I didn't mean to offend. It was, however, innovative to bring that aesthetic into mainstream fashion. I will admit that much.

I wasn't offended, That's why I added a smiley face at the end, to make sure my point got across, that I thought it was funny. But, I must have gone awry. Rest assured I got your original point.

My brother got his first Tattoo from Ed Hardy, who happens to be a good friend of my Uncle's, so I'm a little biased.

Okie-opping out of this thread.

Last edited:
I wasn't offended, That's why I added a smiley face at the end, to make sure my point got across, that I thought it was funny. But, I must have gone awry. Rest assured I got your original point.

ok- oping out of this thread.

Oh ok, sorry you know how things get on the internet sometimes! Just wanted to make sure that I didn't offend. :tup:

Trahnee - don't leave! I think it's fine to post these pictures of Target (or whoever) purses. It's also fine to give a reminder of how lucky we are to have our Coach bags.

But I don't think it's fine to hurt other people's feelings and I hope I wasn't one that hurt yours Trahnee because that was not my intention AT ALL! And if I did, I truly apologize. :hugs:

There are only so many designs in the world...the trick is to recycle them to be exciting and new again so that people want to buy them. Certainly the materials the designs are made of affect their value, and most of us prefer real leather to pleather (or vinyl) and that's why we're willing to buy Coach. If Target carried a similar bag in real leather, I wouldn't be opposed to buying it just because it came from Target! I buy lots of stuff there. And I've posted several times that I have bags from JCPenney that I love...but I don't think the quality is as good as Coach. I tend to buy 'trendier' bags at a cheaper price because I'd rather pay less for something that isn't going to be in style in a few years. But that's my choice.

I don't think OP was putting down people who shop at Target or any discount store. We need to be able to laugh and quit taking things so seriously. I don't believe OP intended any harm in this thread and shouldn't be scolded for posting. If someone doesn't like it, hit the backspace.

I would just like to step in and ask everyone to please be respectful. Not that this thread has gotten out of hand, but we all have to remember that when we post controversial topics, there will be many opinions that are posted...and we all have to accept and respect that. However, I do believe we can do that without attacking one another.

I also know sometimes that text context doesn't come across properly, but I have to say I sometimes do have the feeling that some here have the persistent need to be negative and stir the pot (I'm assuming to create drama:shrugs:). We can see this on multiple threads. Not accusing anyone directly here, and honestly all of your opinions are valuable and you should all feel comfortable expressing them. It's just that I personally feel really sad when I read threads like this and know that some are you are hurt to the point of wanting to leave. My husband would say "get a thicker skin", and I guess in general I'm the type that doesn't really care what others think that much (especially people I don't know who sit behind a PC), but I can totally understand that someone else might not feel this same way. I want everyone to know that ALL of you are welcome, and I hope everyone continues to contribute. Beyond that, it's each individual's choice as to how you choose to participate (or not). Let's just please keep in mind that sometimes we have to be extra careful when we word text, and if at all possible find a positive way to state a negative opinion...there is always a way to do that! And yes, there will always be the possibility that the other side will take the comment the wrong way, and we can't always predict that!

For what it's worth, I personally would not buy a Target bag because I must be the world's worst person when it comes to breaking every cheap bag I own! One year I decided I would take a pleather bag to NYC because I was afraid to take a nice one, and the minute I got to the train station to get my ticket, the strap broke! I had all sorts of cheap brands, and they just never held up. On the other hand, I'm not an extreme high end buyer because I personally don't see the point. I usually settle on something middle of the road that I feel is a good value, but I do have to say my tastes and the prices of my bags have definitely increased over the last several years...so I HATE to see this in another year or two! :P

As for copying designs, I don't know how this works in the fashion world..I've often wondered, but I do know that Homer Laughlin sued Target for their "Cantinaware", which was similar to HL's Fiesta Ware (which I collect). TBH, it WAS similar, but I was actually surprised that HL won the suit. I'm wondering if it's whether the companies take the time to sue, and specifically what the boundaries are...how close is too close?? DH and I talk about this all the time, and like Trahnee, I'm always pointing out the pleather bags that look similar to one designer or another. It's not that I'm trying to be a snob, but no, I probably would not buy the bags because I don't like pleather, and honestly, I do really wonder what the rights are with the overall design. I also feel fortunate for my Coach bags, but to me, if I had to let them go, I would do it in a heartbeat for my family or otherwise...that's what's REALLY important to me. So I say buy what YOU like and what YOU can afford...that's what I do!!! We have no debt from our "hobbies", and I intend to keep it that way!

Last edited: