Longchamp Le Pliage is annoying...debate!

I don't own any non-leather LC bags but I think the regular Le Pliage bags serve a purpose and are an affordable price to boot. Many people out there don't want an all leather bag for whatever reason.. due to heaviness, ethical reasons, practical reasons. The nylon bags can be tossed around and are light weight. They are colorful, fun but classic too.

But everyone has their likes and dislikes. No biggie.

it's all about education, i guess? obviously those ones who will think that the leather is just as inxpensive as the nylon ones need to do a little more research.

i think longchamp is actually more popular due to the nylon le pliage styles. that's what they're known for.

I have two LC leather bags, both vintage though. I personally don't like the nylon feeling, but that's personal.
I think rs4dsoul summed it all op quite nicely, you carry a bag for yourself, not to show the world you can afford a really expensive bag. And I think, that the people who think you paid $100 for your Legende, are the same people carrying a fake $20 LV... Not really my cup of tea, but if it makes those people happy, who cares?

Initially, i thought the price was too steep for a nylon bag, so i put off getting it even as it got more and more popular and i decided that it did look nice on the girls who wore it.
And... I still put off getting it.
But... when i got a plain back short handle one, I found that it was really quite stylish & functional.
i still think that the price is steep for a nylon bag, but i ended up getting another planetes and the cuir.
i think there are people who don't like bag or the price or whatever and that's ok.
And there are people who want to get it and that's ok too.
It just depends on what works for you & what you like.

I did exactly the same thing. Hesitated to pay that much for nylon, but I really liked the look and functionality of the bag and I really needed something non-leather to carry my kid's stuff in, so I finally got the Le Pliage with a gift card that I got for Christmas. I reasoned that it wasn't really me spending my money since it was technically a gift and gifts are best when it's something you like, but wouldn't ever buy for yourself. :graucho:

Now I'm so glad I got it because it really is perfect for what I use it for and I love that I can fold it up when I travel. I always end up needing an extra bag.

I'd love the get the Cuir! It's not in my budget right now, but someday...

^^Same here. For years I just never got the allure of the LP. Then I broke down and got a large in Bilberry for work travel and am so glad that I did. It's so functional, durable and well built, plus great colors. I then ended up getting the small shopper LP in red to use as my rainy day/icky weather errands bag. Color me an LP convert. :P

While I do get that some folks don't 'get it' (having been there myself) - it's all about different strokes for different folks. I'm not going to make assumptions about an entire brand's line off of one style, or completely write off a brand because I think one of their styles has over saturated the market. And it's a dangerous road to start down to base your purchases off of what others may think about it...most people don't give a second thought to handbags (shocking, I know!) - and even if they do...who cares? If you love it and it works for your lifestyle - then rock it out! :rochard:

Nobody who recognises a Le Pliage is going to think that the leather one costs the same amount as a nylon one. Leather has been, and always will be, more expensive.

Why do you care so much anyway? If you bought the bags because you love them then you wouldn't care about the popularity of a different bag by the same company. It's like saying "oh everyone's wearing the alexa, better throw away my bayswater". If you do love your bags then just wear them, the leather ones are still uncommon and they're practical.

The nylon ones are a practical mid-price bag which looks stylish and is in fashion at the moment. There are so many people who can't afford a more expensive bag or are against leather and want to look good so they buy the nylon pliage. I have no problem with it and neither would you if that was all you could afford or you were against leather etc.

Not everything you wear has to be a display of wealth.

Reactions: beeb
Nobody who recognises a Le Pliage is going to think that the leather one costs the same amount as a nylon one. Leather has been, and always will be, more expensive.

Why do you care so much anyway? If you bought the bags because you love them then you wouldn't care about the popularity of a different bag by the same company. It's like saying "oh everyone's wearing the alexa, better throw away my bayswater". If you do love your bags then just wear them, the leather ones are still uncommon and they're practical.

The nylon ones are a practical mid-price bag which looks stylish and is in fashion at the moment. There are so many people who can't afford a more expensive bag or are against leather and want to look good so they buy the nylon pliage. I have no problem with it and neither would you if that was all you could afford or you were against leather etc.

Not everything you wear has to be a display of wealth.

this!!!
Personally, I just got my first (but not last!) LC after having bought only LV and some Chanel since I started my "purse habit." And as much as I love the Le Pliage Cuir (which I'm currently obsessing over), I'm already planning to get a nylon one for those hassle-free days where I really don't want to worry about my bag getting dirty or making me a robbery target. Besides, plenty of women around here manages to make the nylon le pliage look very elegant and chic :smile:

I think tPF is for sharing opinions, too - so maybe this thread could be merged with the other thread about bags people dislike that other people love, but still - the OP is certainly entitled to his/her opinion and maybe somebody else will find it enlightening and educational. Not all of us follow that sheep off the cliff...

I've never understood the lure of this brand, ever, so -? To each his/her own! There is no 'harsh' here!

:heart:

My sister carries her all black Longchamp Small Tote Everyday. She carries this bag so much she has worn holes in it. In the past i really haven't taken to these bags but I finally bought a large tote in the grey and it has been wonderful to carry stuff for work around in.
It is also great for travel. I love it so much that I bought the new leather version in black.

I stick to their limited edition bags but I find myself bringing my large long handle Le Pliage when traveling. Since it's foldable, it doesn't take up a lot of space in my luggage and I use it when I go shopping (in a foreign country).

Last edited:
slowlikehoney said:
I'm afraid I don't really understand what this thread is supposed to be about?

You hate Le Pliage because you think people will think your leather bag is equally inexpensive? So you wish Longchamp would stop selling Le Pliage? Or that they would raise the price even higher?

You're upset with the quality of Le Pliage because you think it's going downhill and therefore maybe the leather ones will go the same way?

I'm just not sure I understand what you're saying exactly.
I am kind of over all the threads about how crappy/common/sick of Le Pliage some people are.

Okay, we get it. You don't like the bag. Then don't buy it.
If you're worried that someone will think your leather bag is cheap because the same designer sells a less expensive bag then buy an obviously expensive bag so everyone will know how expensive your bag is.

All easy to solve dilemmas.

Good post! :smile: