Loewe Hammock vs Hermes Picotin - Easy to use?

monipod

Dec 11, 2018
I've admired Loewe from afar (it's popular in Japan where I once lived, but not so much here in Australia) and love their current designs. I'm crushing on Hermes this year after being a LV fan for many years prior, and treated myself to a Picotin 18 (I'm not in the Birkin or Kelly ballpark). Anyway, I've been considering getting the next size up of the Picotin for my everyday bag. I like that it's roomy and has easy access. After many bags, I've realised I need two handles with the option of wearing on shoulder as well as on arm. I haven't pulled the trigger as even a vintage Picotin 22 is going to set me back 1500 USD, and I'm not sure if I want to spend that much money again so soon.

Then I noticed the Loewe Hammock and it's gorgeous. I like that it's different and versatile. The simplicity of the Picotin is appealing but the Hammock looks fun and the details... Anyway, I was wondering if anyone who has a Hammock can weigh in on its usability over other bucket style bags. If it's fiddle and not something I can plonk on my desk and grab things from, it's probably not for me... but they look sooooo cute... Thanks in advance!

Hi! I've only been using my new small sized Hammock for about a week, so take this with a grain of salt, but I have had many other traditional drawstring bucket styles I can compare it with.

Pros: the size (the small can pack a TON), the versatility (strap can be shortened/lengthened easily for long shoulder or crossbody use, can be hand-carried), the opening is great for easy access, and depending on how you carry it, the bag shape can change, which imo, only makes it more unique. Lastly, the leather quality and craftsmanship is great.

Cons: This bag could benefit from a shorter strap for a closer shoulder carry. The included strap doesn't get quite short enough to my liking for that. Loewe does sell options for an additional cost. There isn't a drawstring included with this size, instead only a small hook to cinch it into place (much like a Neverfull), so if you like a secure closure, you may not like this style. I typically keep my bag filled halfway and haven't had any issues thus far. Last con is that I don't find the current set up conducive for an arm carry, but I think with the shorter strap, that would solve that issue.

Personally, I think if you're a fan of the Picotin and bucket bags in general, you'd like the Hammock.

Hi! I've only been using my new small sized Hammock for about a week, so take this with a grain of salt, but I have had many other traditional drawstring bucket styles I can compare it with...

...Personally, I think if you're a fan of the Picotin and bucket bags in general, you'd like the Hammock.

Thanks so much for your helpful answer. I'm liking the look of Hammock more and more and I can't help but feel you get more bang for buck versus the Picotin. I don't mind not having a zippered closure (the Picotin only has a strap across the middle as I'm more about easy access than security.

Do you find the Hammock heavy when half-filled? The con with a larger Picotin is that I hear they get progressively heavier :|

I don't find it heavy at all! The bag itself is super lightweight, and there seems to be enough structure with the many straps to keep any weight inside balanced.

Thank you. I'm also now being swayed by the Puzzle so I'll enjoy the first world problem of deciding between the two. I just know that I don't think I want to spend the money on another Picotin.

Reactions: ghoulish
I have a puzzle and a hammock and I tend to enjoy using puzzle a tad more. There are times that I feel frustrated while using the hammock as the hand held strap is slightly too short for me to get my hands in and out easily. This would have been easier if I had got the picotin (it’s also on my wish list)

However, hammock does look very special and stylish, and it’s super roomy. But it’s just not the bag I would use if I have a few documents to put, nor my iPad will sit in place securely due to its shape. I am now considering getting the Amazona 19 as it just feels functional and classic!

Reactions: monipod
I must prefer the aesthetic of the Hammock. We are in the Loewe subforum so I guess we are biased here. I've had a Picotin once, and the flat handles drove me banana. They aren't very comfortable in the hand. For some reason the Hammock's flat handles are more comfortable. Plus there is the shoulder option. But who am I kidding. The Hammock all the way. It is very chic, without losing spark.

Reactions: monipod
I have a puzzle and a hammock and I tend to enjoy using puzzle a tad more. There are times that I feel frustrated while using the hammock as the hand held strap is slightly too short for me to get my hands in and out easily. This would have been easier if I had got the picotin (it’s also on my wish list)

However, hammock does look very special and stylish, and it’s super roomy. But it’s just not the bag I would use if I have a few documents to put, nor my iPad will sit in place securely due to its shape. I am now considering getting the Amazona 19 as it just feels functional and classic!

Yes! I did wonder if maybe the hammock wouldn't be the best choice if you had flat things like documents and iPads to carry around. Great to know that maybe a medium Puzzle can fit that all in. Is it easy to get in and out of? I know it's got a flap but being soft, I think it's less obstructive than LV's Pochette Metis which has that harder, structured flap?